Training Camp Thread

doumeyer

Sounds like people were buying into the hype.  This is a below average team as a whole.  Outside of Sam going into beast mode this team isn't making the playoffs even in a weak division.  We need JD to hit on these picks for us to finally turn the corner.

1 minute ago, Rockice_8 said:

Perriman is fine and the offense will run through the TEs, Crowder, and Bell.  Mims getting healthy will go a long way.  Let's see who breaks free after cut day before we start panicking and trading away valuable picks.  It's a seller market right now.

Thats talking like Perriman is Michael Thomas or something and if he's healthy all is fine. This was a poor group to begin with and with injuries is awful. Yes the Mims and Perriman injuries don't look serious. But they aren't playing, therefor the timing and all with Darnold and even learning the offense is set back big time.

Your solution doesn't touch on what I said. Your solution is pretty much to just not use our WRs much (which is an awful way to run an offense in today's NFL). The answer to our WR issue isn't to not use them. Its to get talent there in some kind of way. Not just rely on our RB, very unproven TE (as if he's Kittle or something) and our tiny slot WR.

Definitely not buying into the hype. 5-6 wins IMO

I think JD needs 2 more years to build his roster for better or worse. Unfortunately we can’t wait that long to make a decision on Gase/Darnold. Unless the results are significantly better than last year I don’t think the marriage lasts.

Edited by GangGreen420

17 hours ago, Heymangold said:

You’re not worried about WR?  Have you seen this WR group?  JOSH MALONE IS THE 1 RIGHT NOW.

No I'm not because Brett will be back soon and some of these young guys might surprise you. Most WR ca get open with all the PI flags in that last few years. You just need to catch the ball. The Pats did well with no really WR for a long time. The 49ers did well with no real WR last year and just ran the ball down the D throat. If the OL can block and get Bell going that will cause the safeties to come up making more 1 on1 and the TE can run loose sometimes. Sam has a very accurate ball if he has that extra second to throw. Now if we had Josh Allen as a QB I would be very worried because he is way off on his throws. I'm a strong believer that the QB can make and average or below average WR look great. There is only a few WR that can make a QB look great. Look how Baker did with OBJ and Landry as his WR. I thought Sam looked better than he did. 

6 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

No I'm not because Brett will be back soon and some of these young guys might surprise you. Most WR ca get open with all the PI flags in that last few years. You just need to catch the ball. The Pats did well with no really WR for a long time. The 49ers did well with no real WR last year and just ran the ball down the D throat. If the OL can block and get Bell going that will cause the safeties to come up making more 1 on1 and the TE can run loose sometimes. Sam has a very accurate ball if he has that extra second to throw. Now if we had Josh Allen as a QB I would be very worried because he is way off on his throws. I'm a strong believer that the QB can make and average or below average WR look great. There is only a few WR that can make a QB look great. Look how Baker did with OBJ and Landry as his WR. I thought Sam looked better than he did. 

As I say every time this side of the debate comes up.... when we have a QB comparable to Tom Brady then that side of the debate works. Until then.... we need talent around the QB.

24 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Thats talking like Perriman is Michael Thomas or something and if he's healthy all is fine. This was a poor group to begin with and with injuries is awful. Yes the Mims and Perriman injuries don't look serious. But they aren't playing, therefor the timing and all with Darnold and even learning the offense is set back big time.

Your solution doesn't touch on what I said. Your solution is pretty much to just not use our WRs much (which is an awful way to run an offense in today's NFL). The answer to our WR issue isn't to not use them. Its to get talent there in some kind of way. Not just rely on our RB, very unproven TE (as if he's Kittle or something) and our tiny slot WR.

Again your plan is to trade away valuable picks 2 weeks before the season for what to scramble and fill holes to try and make a run?  I hate that plan so much for a team in our position.

24 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

As I say every time this side of the debate comes up.... when we have a QB comparable to Tom Brady then that side of the debate works. Until then.... we need talent around the QB.

It's an offensive game plan doesn't mean it has to work like the well oiled Brady ones of the past.  You don't need Tom Brady to run a TE/RB heavy offense.  Many teams have done it successfully without Brady as their QB.  

On one hand, I can see Bobby's point.  How can we possibly expect to properly evaluate Sam if the WR corp or OL is crap?  On the other hand, trading assets may not be the best plan long term.  Hmmm.

I think at this point, JD will not make any rash moves.  He will wait until cuts and scour the FA market and waivers.  I am sure he is well away of the problems the team has and will address them.

3 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

It's an offensive game plan doesn't mean it has to work like the well oiled Brady ones of the past.  You don't need Tom Brady to run a TE/RB heavy offense.  Many teams have done it successfully without Brady as their QB.  

Name me some, that don’t have an elite defense to carry them?

3 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Again your plan is to trade away valuable picks 2 weeks before the season for what to scramble and fill holes to try and make a run?  I hate that plan so much for a team in our position.

For a proven young talent? I’m totally ok with it. You wouldn’t trade a 2nd away for a guy like JuJu?

17 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

For a proven young talent? I’m totally ok with it. You wouldn’t trade a 2nd away for a guy like JuJu?

Juju did not have a good season last year and apparently has been not looking to good in practice this year.  I would most certainly not trade a 2nd for JuJu at the moment.  After the season if he plays well, I would look into it.