Training Camp Thread

doumeyer

Without doubt the most pessimistic Iv felt going into a new season in a long time. Obviously ‘real life’ events play a part in this but overall I’m just so not bothered that we are only a couple weeks out to week one. 

I hope this team gels early and gives us things to cling to in what is shaping up to be a very difficult year. I still can’t believe that when we finally believe we have our ‘franchise qb’ we haven’t moved heaven and earth to supply him with playmakers. 

2 hours ago, xenajets said:

Without doubt the most pessimistic Iv felt going into a new season in a long time. Obviously ‘real life’ events play a part in this but overall I’m just so not bothered that we are only a couple weeks out to week one. 

I hope this team gels early and gives us things to cling to in what is shaping up to be a very difficult year. I still can’t believe that when we finally believe we have our ‘franchise qb’ we haven’t moved heaven and earth to supply him with playmakers. 

Well NE didn’t need them. So we don’t. 🙄 

On 8/26/2020 at 6:53 PM, Bobby816 said:

Name me some, that don’t have an elite defense to carry them?

What does a defense have to do with an offensive strategy?  No need to keep moving the goal post.  Some of the best minds in football McVay, Reed, Peterson, McDaniels, and Shanahan all have offenses that are in the bottom half of the NFL in WR targets and TE targets near the top.  Many of those teams went to or won the Superbowl in recent years.  So yes our offense will be similar in we will target the TEs and slot WRs more then the boundary WRs.  It's more common in the NFL then you realize.

On 8/26/2020 at 6:54 PM, Bobby816 said:

For a proven young talent? I’m totally ok with it. You wouldn’t trade a 2nd away for a guy like JuJu?

A 2 for juju?  No why would I want to do that.  Juju has done most of his damage out of the slot.  He's actually quite bad as a boundary WR.  We already have Crowder there and again why are we trading away valuable picks for a FA?  We aren't one move away.  Those deals are reserved for teams making a run not rebuilding teams like us.

4 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

A 2 for juju?  No why would I want to do that.  Juju has done most of his damage out of the slot.  He's actually quite bad as a boundary WR.  We already have Crowder there and again why are we trading away valuable picks for a FA?  We aren't one move away.  Those deals are reserved for teams making a run not rebuilding teams like us.

You clearly just value draft picks more than I do (which is ok). I see the draft as a total guess. So when you see a proven talent at a young age you can get for a pick... I'm for making that move. I'm not for trading away valuable picks for guys not part of the long term plan (that I agree with). 

I'll use an example... So you said you're not ok with trading a 2nd for a proven player that has a relationship with our QB (let's keep in mind). So let's look at our team. The odds of Mims (a 2nd rounder) being as good as JuJu is slim if you look at the numbers. So why not make a move? Money? I could see that side or the debate if we were strapped with money, but we aren't.

And while we're rebuilding... the division as a whole pretty much is, which makes it wide open. We aren't just trying to groom young players. We are actually competing for the division this year. Which we haven't been able to say in awhile.

• Like 2

I think JuJu is a first round talent, so trading a 2nd round pick is a no-brainer for me. And as @Bobby816 mentioned, he has history with Sam, so the only thing he would need to do is learn the playbook - the chemistry is already there.

I would do it, but I don't think the Steelers are going to short change Ben for the few seasons he has left. They have a very small window, so unless the other WRs really show some flash or Big Ben retires, I don't see him being available.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

I think JuJu is a first round talent, so trading a 2nd round pick is a no-brainer for me. And as @Bobby816 mentioned, he has history with Sam, so the only thing he would need to do is learn the playbook - the chemistry is already there.

I would do it, but I don't think the Steelers are going to short change Ben for the few seasons he has left. They have a very small window, so unless the other WRs really show some flash or Big Ben retires, I don't see him being available.

reports out of Pittsburgh are that JuJu has been pretty bad this preseason.  i wonder if that would make him more tradeable.

10 minutes ago, Heymangold said:

reports out of Pittsburgh are that JuJu has been pretty bad this preseason.  i wonder if that would make him more tradeable.

I saw this above and tried looking for articles on it, but all I can find is that JuJu has been sitting out and Chase Claypool has been turning heads. Nothing to say that JuJu is doing poorly.

7 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

I saw this above and tried looking for articles on it, but all I can find is that JuJu has been sitting out and Chase Claypool has been turning heads. Nothing to say that JuJu is doing poorly.

https://www.numberfire.com/nfl/player-news/150886/steelers-juju-smith-schuster-having-a-quiet-camp

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly/status/1299111953416290310?s=20

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

I hope that trade was for a conditional 7th that doesn't transfer.  Otherwise first move of the JD tenure that makes no sense.

He has to make the team or else Miami gets nothing. That means he has to make the 53 man roster. He can be on the practice squad and still not lose a pick. This move only makes it that we get him first. I think he is a camp body because they want to save carries on Bell and let him use during the season. I have a feeling Gore is not looking that great and will probably be cut. 

With the season only a couple of weeks away it would not surprise me at all, that  after the first game we will see a lot of injuries throughout the league due to hardly any hard contact during the preseason. Sure there is some contact during preseason camp. but it is not like preseason games. 

Another day...another Jets day off. After a truly terrible scrimmage we should not have taken today off too. Yesterday after current events, sure take a day but two in a row is just setting us back further than we already are. Not getting into politics this isn’t e place, and I’m glad the players like the owners response but it’s time to get to work. We are going to get our ***** kicked all year if we don’t start working harder to get better.