Training Camp Thread

doumeyer

9 hours ago, xenajets said:

Without doubt the most pessimistic Iv felt going into a new season in a long time. Obviously ‘real life’ events play a part in this but overall I’m just so not bothered that we are only a couple weeks out to week one. 

I hope this team gels early and gives us things to cling to in what is shaping up to be a very difficult year. I still can’t believe that when we finally believe we have our ‘franchise qb’ we haven’t moved heaven and earth to supply him with playmakers. 

Yeah we’re going to be really bad lol. I’m almost at the point that if we aren’t going to be good that we get the number one overall pick. 

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

You clearly just value draft picks more than I do (which is ok). I see the draft as a total guess. So when you see a proven talent at a young age you can get for a pick... I'm for making that move. I'm not for trading away valuable picks for guys not part of the long term plan (that I agree with). 

I'll use an example... So you said you're not ok with trading a 2nd for a proven player that has a relationship with our QB (let's keep in mind). So let's look at our team. The odds of Mims (a 2nd rounder) being as good as JuJu is slim if you look at the numbers. So why not make a move? Money? I could see that side or the debate if we were strapped with money, but we aren't.

And while we're rebuilding... the division as a whole pretty much is, which makes it wide open. We aren't just trying to groom young players. We are actually competing for the division this year. Which we haven't been able to say in awhile.

I do value draft picks as should all teams who are largely devoid of talent like the Jets.  I'm fine making a move when the time is right for the right player but that isn't now.  Juju is best out of the slot.  Why would we want to trade for that?  It make no sense.  We need many positions filled before we should be thinking about wasting picks for impending free agents and paying them top dollar.  It's horrible asset management.

45 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

Hope so. He has to endure another season of Gase

That OL was so bad last year and despite not working together this year it should be improved.  If Sam gets some time to operate he'll be fine even with Gase.

FYI our starting WRs today are Josh Malone and Chris Hogan. And people act like we are ok at WR bc we have Bell and Herndon. Like they’re McCaffrey and Kittle.

Yea we have Crowder but he works out of the slot. The game becomes a lot easier for defenses when the don’t have to worry about outside WRs. We better hope Perriman and Mims can do something

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

FYI our starting WRs today are Josh Malone and Chris Hogan. And people act like we are ok at WR bc we have Bell and Herndon. Like they’re McCaffrey and Kittle.

Yea we have Crowder but he works out of the slot. The game becomes a lot easier for defenses when the don’t have to worry about outside WRs. We better hope Perriman and Mims can do something

Um you do know that Bell is up there as catching RB right. He is not that far off from McCaffrey. Herndon has had great signs of being a top TE in the league. So ya he is not a Kittle but he has the chance to be in that area. I'm still not worried about WR because Mims will be back soon and Perriman is already back. Perriman is going to surprise you guys more than you think. He will put up over 1,0000 yards is he plays all 16 games. Remember that there is only so many targets out there and with Bell, Crowder, Herndon, Perriman, and Mims that leaves very little targets left. We all so have Ryan Griffin coming back too. I just hope Gase does not fall into the Gore thing and have Bell on the bench. Gore should only get 3-5 carries a game and Bell should be up to 20 touches. We have to have the O run through Bell and to is that simple. If Bell gets going we will have no problems. If you can run the ball you will win a lot of games. Just look at Titans last year. I still think we are a 9-7 or 10-6 team fighting for a wild card spot. Who knows with the AFC east 9-7 might win the division. 

34 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Um you do know that Bell is up there as catching RB right. He is not that far off from McCaffrey. Herndon has had great signs of being a top TE in the league. So ya he is not a Kittle but he has the chance to be in that area. I'm still not worried about WR because Mims will be back soon and Perriman is already back. Perriman is going to surprise you guys more than you think. He will put up over 1,0000 yards is he plays all 16 games. Remember that there is only so many targets out there and with Bell, Crowder, Herndon, Perriman, and Mims that leaves very little targets left. We all so have Ryan Griffin coming back too. I just hope Gase does not fall into the Gore thing and have Bell on the bench. Gore should only get 3-5 carries a game and Bell should be up to 20 touches. We have to have the O run through Bell and to is that simple. If Bell gets going we will have no problems. If you can run the ball you will win a lot of games. Just look at Titans last year. I still think we are a 9-7 or 10-6 team fighting for a wild card spot. Who knows with the AFC east 9-7 might win the division. 

That’s a lot of wishful thinking IMO. Bell has apparently been having a bad camp and Gore/Perine are going to eat into his carries. It’s going to happen. The Gase vs Bell dynamic is already going strong. I’m really not too confident Bell is going to turn back into the player we once was. Perriman is still not practicing, and Mims is likely going to take a long time to get going without getting much reps in camp. 

I hope hope your right, but I don’t think there is any way this is going to be a 10-6 team.

31 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Your counting on habitually injured & to this point, disappointing former first round pick, to eclipse 1,000 yards and be the focal point of the offense? I love the optimism surrounding Perriman, but let's come back to reality. Mims is the most exciting skill position we've drafted in god knows how long -- despite his immense physical ability, he's still a raw route runner who'll require time to adjust to pro-style offense.

Your optimism is contingent on multiple 'best case' scenarios: Permian escaping the injury bug & proving the end of last season wasn't an anomaly. Mims ability to become an instant contributor. Even Herndon, who we all love, has to prove he can stay healthy & build off his rookie season. Crowder is really the only 'sure-thing' & I believe he too has struggled with injuries?

It's just a bit idealistically. With the current injuries, Sam is in a situation reminiscent to Carson Wentz last season. (Who I believe to be one of the most talent QBs in the league) -- His struggles were a product of an inferior supporting cast, but talent often shined through. Unlike Wentz, Sam doesn't have the luxury of a truly elite OL to mitigate his receivers inability to create separation. 

I hope you're right, but banking on everything falling into place is often a recipe for disaster.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

That’s a lot of wishful thinking IMO. Bell has apparently been having a bad camp and Gore/Perine are going to eat into his carries. It’s going to happen. The Gase vs Bell dynamic is already going strong. I’m really not too confident Bell is going to turn back into the player we once was. Perriman is still not practicing, and Mims is likely going to take a long time to get going without getting much reps in camp. 

I hope hope your right, but I don’t think there is any way this is going to be a 10-6 team.

I think the unfortunate reality is that Gase & Bell are simply a terrible pairing -- 

Gase is a 'system' coach & his system is predicated on everyone working in correlation to fulfill a specified role. Ideally, he has a stable of one-cut, downhill backs who are focused on forward momentum and consistency. The philosophy grinds a defense down & highlights a play-action offense. I think Bell's style of play is contradicting to what Gase is trying to accomplish. We're trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.

My initial reaction was to fault Gase -- I prefer a coach who caters his offense to the talent he's given. But, in fairness, I don't think Gase wanted anything to do with Bell & likely for good reason.