Training Camp Thread

doumeyer

The Jets rushing attack finished 31st in the NFL last season. With Le’Veon Bell enduring the worst statistical season of his career in 2019, New York figured it had to change its approach this offseason.

That’s why, according to ESPN’s Rich Cimini, the Jets held meetings for their offensive linemen, tight ends and running backs that were separate from the rest of the team’s virtual offseason program. The meetings covered the terminology and concepts in Adam Gase’s offense.

It was evident that New York’s running game, or lack thereof, was due in large part to the offensive line’s inability to block last season. Failure to get the running game going made the Jets offense one dimensional and put unnecessary expectations on Sam Darnold’s shoulders. By getting everyone on the same page, without the ability to have spring practices, the Jets are attempting to mitigate any concerns about the team’s last-ranked offense and Bell possibly losing a step.

Bell carried the ball 245 times for 789 yards and three touchdowns after sitting out the entire 2018 season. He did this behind an offensive line that went through 11 different starters and nine combinations due to injuries and ineffective play. A running back-by-committee approach wasn’t in the cards behind Bell, either, as Bilal Powell, Ty Montgomery and Josh Adams combined for 99 carries, 344 rushing yards and no touchdowns.

New York revamped its offensive line this offseason, adding George Fant, Greg Van Roten and Connor McGovern in free agency, re-signing Alex Lewis, and drafting Mekhi Becton and Cameron Clark. Building chemistry during the offseason will be a challenge without actual workouts, but the hope is that Jets’ new blockers can come together and outperform last year’s unit.

• Like 1

Yeah.. Connor McGovern said that exactly.  Probably repeated it to public from Gase meeting.   Still, that kind of plan is a must to succeed thing. I could care whether or not Bell losing steps as long as the running game itself is improving.

4 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Yeah.. Connor McGovern said that exactly.  Probably repeated it to public from Gase meeting.   Still, that kind of plan is a must to succeed thing. I could care whether or not Bell losing steps as long as the running game itself is improving.

That 1.5 to 2 yard initial push up front on power players and pinning the right guys at the right angles in zone runs will be crucial. That's the first step towards opening up the run game. 

1 hour ago, KingOfTheDot said:

That 1.5 to 2 yard initial push up front on power players and pinning the right guys at the right angles in zone runs will be crucial. That's the first step towards opening up the run game. 

Yeah... avoid behind the scrimmage embarrassment.  

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

Are we going to add Connor Hughes to our blacklist?   He doesn't think Connor McGovern is good enough to anchor at OL for many years coming.:$

I like Connor Hughes - he's a sharp contrast to Mehta who blatantly makes up sources/news.

• Like 1

Love this recent quote from Le'Veon: "That wasn't the best me. Everybody talked about the offensive line and everybody talked about me not getting the ball, but, damn, Le'Veon, were you at your best?" he said. "I can literally look at myself in the eye and say, 'No. No, I wasn't.'"

Had every reason to complain all season - still just keeps saying the right things & holding himself accountable. Such a bull s*** narrative that he wasn't a team player during his holdout (Which unlike Jamal, was warranted). Hope to see him have a huge year.