Training Camp Thread

doumeyer

37 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

We were a top team against the run. We just don't sack the QB. I'd say being the 2nd best team against the run in itself should put the DL in the top half.

My assumption would be that the run defense numbers were caused by having Adams at the OL and a ton of blitz packages. That and McLendon.

Factor in that run defense is less valued than pass rushing, I still think the assessment is fair. Maybe bottom 2 is too harsh, but I'd definitely say bottom 5. I think that the Pats aren't after us is laughable though.

4 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

My assumption would be that the run defense numbers were caused by having Adams at the OL and a ton of blitz packages. That and McLendon.

Factor in that run defense is less valued than pass rushing, I still think the assessment is fair. Maybe bottom 2 is too harsh, but I'd definitely say bottom 5. I think that the Pats aren't after us is laughable though.

I’d take good run defense over a pass rush. As much as people say it’s a passing league and trust me it is when you’re down in the 4th but if you cannot stop the run, it’s game over unless you’re the Chiefs or Seahawks because Mahomes and Wilson just work magic. 

So appears there will be no pre season. Tests as of now every day for 2 weeks. And still trying to decide after that how often. Also seems like their will be less players allowed in camo than usual but actually more players on the roster when/if the season starts

Now that the diva is gone we can focus on our culture. But lets talk camp battles and possibilities. 

Becton and Fant RT vs LT-  When watching film I feel like Fant showed signs of quality play at LT vs RT. I like him in space and think he'd thrive there for us. Becton can play either but I think as a rookie RT may just be a bit better as he gets acclimated to NFL schemes and speed. 

Wide Receiver- I've been having visions of big, fast receivers Mims, Perriman and Smith running down the field catching passes from Darnold while Crowder catches 100 balls working in the slot. There's a lot of untapped potential with some of these guys and I think we could definitely have some success on the outside since on strength is over the middle with Crowder, Herndon and Griffin + Bell. Teams will try and take that away from Sam leaving Mims, Perriman and Smith with 1v1 opportunities down the field. 

EDGE is still a problem. We dont have a finisher on defense. Now I would sign Clowney and trade a 3rd for Yannick but honestly idk if its smart but it would make us more talented up front. Could Zuniga be this years Maxx Crosby? One could hope. I think we need Jenkins/Anderson/QWill to combine for around 20 sacks to be successful. Zuniga being Crosby 2.0 could take this defense to the next level. 

34 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Now that the diva is gone we can focus on our culture. But lets talk camp battles and possibilities. 

Becton and Fant RT vs LT-  When watching film I feel like Fant showed signs of quality play at LT vs RT. I like him in space and think he'd thrive there for us. Becton can play either but I think as a rookie RT may just be a bit better as he gets acclimated to NFL schemes and speed. 

Wide Receiver- I've been having visions of big, fast receivers Mims, Perriman and Smith running down the field catching passes from Darnold while Crowder catches 100 balls working in the slot. There's a lot of untapped potential with some of these guys and I think we could definitely have some success on the outside since on strength is over the middle with Crowder, Herndon and Griffin + Bell. Teams will try and take that away from Sam leaving Mims, Perriman and Smith with 1v1 opportunities down the field. 

EDGE is still a problem. We dont have a finisher on defense. Now I would sign Clowney and trade a 3rd for Yannick but honestly idk if its smart but it would make us more talented up front. Could Zuniga be this years Maxx Crosby? One could hope. I think we need Jenkins/Anderson/QWill to combine for around 20 sacks to be successful. Zuniga being Crosby 2.0 could take this defense to the next level. 

Great post. I agree. it is about time we focus on our culture.  We wasted to much time talking about Adams.

• Like 1

I think if we make a move for an edge it will be in the next few days. We now cleared up this Adams saga and know what picks we have.

3 main options are this (in no order).

1. Sign Clowney. Chances might be better now that I doubt SEA pays him now.

2. Trade a 3rd that can become a 2nd (if we resign him) for Yannik. This is my favorite option.

3. Trade for Judon

You want your players pretty much set heading into TC. So if we don’t do anything at edge... I think JD will just roll with what we have.

If QWill can become our Aaron Donald, Chris Jones, Fletcher Cox, Deforest Buckner then I think we’ll be okay because he’d open up so much for guys around him while also being a force. That’s a lot to ask of the kid but it’s needed and of anyone on that DL he has the ability. 

35 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

If QWill can become our Aaron Donald, Chris Jones, Fletcher Cox, Deforest Buckner then I think we’ll be okay because he’d open up so much for guys around him while also being a force. That’s a lot to ask of the kid but it’s needed and of anyone on that DL he has the ability. 

Dude will have to look totally different than he did last year to be even in the conversation with those guys.

The OL as a whole is what I'll be mostly watching besides Darnold. Its where we had the most moving parts, so it wont click right away for us. WR will be interesting as well. I think we know who we will start and use depth wise... but to see how confident we are in the group and who Darnold builds a relationship with will be key. Herndon healthy is huge. He and Griffin can really help Darnold. There's a lot of potential all around on offense. We will see who outplays their past or contribute quickly. RB is a group that has depth and skill. Bell, Gore Perine is quite a group.

On defense the DL is pretty much the exact same. That will be the backbone for us. For an odd offseason... this group will be key. Bc it will start here in the trenches. LB is a huge strength for us as well with a ton of depth. So not worried about anything there even though our 2 starters missed pretty much the whole 2019 season. They're vets that are great starters when healthy. Edge is a question mark. Jenkins I expect to start. But the other edge spot is an open competition right now. Basham and Zuniga will battle this out. In the secondary there's some moving parts as well. A lot of potential at CB. And I like this group  A LOT more than most. Poole is a great slot CB, so I'm not worried about slot CB as long as he's healthy. Now for the 2 starting outside CBs. Desir will start probably as our CB1. Not your typical #1 CB. But he's no slouch. After that is where the competition begins. Bless Austin had a lot of flashes last year, but also had moments he looked lost. BUT he is in his 2nd year under Williams and my guess is he finds more consistency in year 2. My guess he's our CB2. After Desir, Austin and Poole is where we have a ton of potential. Bryce Hall who we drafted who's ceiling is as high as a 1st rounder. We will see how me makes his mark soon being he should be healthy. Quincy Wilson is another guy that I like. He is that bigger physical CB that should fit Williams' system well. A change of scenery should suit him well. Maulet for me is that typical just solid depth CB. Nothing great, but isnt a "liability" either. The "x" factor in this all is our rookie Ashtyn Davis. Can play the hybrid S/CB role for us. And I expect to get legit snaps as the year goes on. At S now we lost our star, but we still have a good group back there. Maye I hope moves to his natural position as goes to SS. He's a Adams lite. But can play a similar role. Expect him to take a jump if he can stay healthy. McDougald is no slouch at FS. He produces. Makes for a nice S duo. Same as CB... Davis will find his role IMO somewhere in the mix with these guys. A guy with that speed, hips, ball skills and willingness to hit... he will find a way into the secondary in some sort of way. 

49 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Yeah, we’re going to need a huge jump from him. 

Which I don't think is out of the question. He admitted to having lingering injuries last season and also realized what he needed to do in the off-season. He trained like a mad man, he looks like a different human in the pictures I've seen. 

Edited by mattmanz91