Favorite songs in movies

Malfatron

25 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Why? Already existing songs fitting into a movie perfectly is just as stimulating an experience as one tailor made. Like this scene gets a visceral reaction from me and the song is a heavy part of that:

Or how well the Doors help open one of the better movies ever:

True, I am just saying to me it is more impressive if the song was literally made for the film and it is actually a great song.  It is harder to do that than to take great and or effective song that already exists and place it where you want.  

27 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Yes!!! 

Yeah that is one of the coolest movie scenes ever and overall the film greatly uses music throughout.  I am a little disappointed by Ana Lily Amirpour's career so far, The Bad Batch sucked, and maybe all her good ideas came in this one movie.  Hopefully she can make some artistic stuff like this in the future but will see.  She is making a Cliffhanger remake, written by someone else but sure she did it just for a job, also making Mona Lisa and the Blood Moon so will see if that is worth a damn.

56 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

True, I am just saying to me it is more impressive if the song was literally made for the film and it is actually a great song.  It is harder to do that than to take great and or effective song that already exists and place it where you want.  

I think they both have their pros and cons in terms of difficulty. Yes, making your own song comes with its own difficulties but by doing so you have the opportunity to make it exactly what you need for the scene. On the flip side, having a song ready is great and cuts out some work, but fitting an existing song into a medium it wasn't made for is it's own kinda work editing wise and then you have to have the right scene for it otherwise its just a song overlay that doesn't resonate. It is very difficult to massage an existing piece of art into a scene and truly make it a part of the scene, especially popular songs because you have to convince the viewer, that already has preconceived notions about the track, into seeing it as a part of the whole and not a 2nd entity.  

10 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I think they both have their pros and cons in terms of difficulty. Yes, making your own song comes with its own difficulties but by doing so you have the opportunity to make it exactly what you need for the scene. On the flip side, having a song ready is great and cuts out some work, but fitting an existing song into a medium it wasn't made for is it's own kinda work editing wise and then you have to have the right scene for it otherwise its just a song overlay that doesn't resonate. It is very difficult to massage an existing piece of art into a scene and truly make it a part of the scene, especially popular songs because you have to convince the viewer, that already has preconceived notions about the track, into seeing it as a part of the whole and not a 2nd entity.  

Very true, but finding a unique song because one listens to a lot of music is not hard for the people making the film, especially if they have a good eye for visuals and ear for music.  Most war movies translate the times with using songs from that time to bring people back to that era instantly.  Not only doing so visually but matching those visuals with songs of the times that match the vibe they are going for and the era.  It is done constantly and works well and one has tons to choose from and it is not hard making the choice for people if that is their entire job to do so.  

The movie scene is 1974, Tiny Dancer released 1972.  Sure it was a creative use of the song but the song is good regardless of the movie and the movie making is just using it to help improve the film and make it seem as great as the song is.  The song captures an emotion, and if you match that with the emotion wanted in the film then it just works.  But yeah it helps when the song is so good it can stand out its own easily without the film way before the movie was even made.  

There are times where a movie can help immortalize a song more than it already has been, that is true.  Also helps introduce music to a new generation that might not be familiar with the song.  That it does do no question.

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

but finding a unique song because one listens to a lot of music is not hard for the people making the film, especially if they have a good eye for visuals and ear for music. 

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

It is done constantly and works well and one has tons to choose from and it is not hard making the choice for people if that is their entire job to do so.  

Im not understanding the argument here. The people writing the music for the films, that is also their job so it must not be hard? I am just matching the logic here. They have been writing music for movies for years and they are good at it so it can't be hard. 

6 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Im not understanding the argument here. The people writing the music for the films, that is also their job so it must not be hard? I am just matching the logic here. They have been writing music for movies for years and they are good at it so it can't be hard. 

Maybe I am not being clear enough, you said it was just as difficult for people to match created music to films being made.  I am saying for people who their main job in film is to listen to a variety of music, then match it to a specific film, to me that would not be difficult.   Compared to writing music exactly to match a film and writing music that did not suck.  

If I remember correctly Quentin heard a song on a flight to Japan or something, and liked it, then got the name and put it in his video, actually put that entire bad in the film playing the song.  Is that hard?  Not really, he knew what vibe he wanted, got it and acted on it.  And people do that in films for a job if it is not the director specifically, to me far more easy than creating a song from nothing.

Too many to list, but this was the BEST use of music in a movie recently. 

For NONSPOILER context, there are only three instances of music in the entire film. This final shot + orchestral score is a call back to the very first musical note of the movie. It PERFECTLY sums up the entire story, Without a doubt, one of my favorite endings of all time.