Martha Ford steps down as Lions owner; daughter to take over

$andtrap

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2020/06/23/detroit-lions-new-owner-sheila-ford-hamp-groundbreaking-yale-grad/3241686001/

Some interesting snipets about her in that article, but the most relevant thing:

While Ford Hamp played a part in the firing of Tom Lewand and Martin Mayhew in 2015, she also was key in retaining general manager Bob Quinn and head coach Matt Patricia last season.

When the Lions went 3-12-1 in 2019 in their second year under Patricia, it marked back-to-back losing seasons for the first time since 2012 and 2013. On Dec. 17, Detroit announced it would bring back Quinn and Patricia for the 2020 season with a demand for better results.

40 minutes ago, Counselor said:

To be fair their franchise QB only started half the season 

meh... the 3-4-1 record with Stafford was right on pace for another 6 win season -  same as the year before when he played all 16
With Stafford, they're 69-79-1 and 0-3 in the playoffs over 11 seasons. The Lions are irrelevant with or without Stafford.
Now its up to the daughter to do something about it. I wish her all the best, its not easy to turn around a floundering franchise and she has the chance for hero status in Motown if she can pull it off

I think its fine to stick with Patricia/Quinn, but they gotta start winning in 2020

• Like 5

Just now, Shanedorf said:

meh... the 3-4-1 record with Stafford was right on pace for another 6 win season -  same as the year before when he played all 16
With Stafford, they're 69-79-1 and 0-3 in the playoffs over 11 seasons. The Lions are irrelevant with or without Stafford.
Now its up to the daughter to do something about it. I wish her all the best, its not easy to turn around a floundering franchise and she has the chance for hero status in Motown if she can pull it off

I think its fine to stick with Patricia/Quinn, but they gotta start winning in 2020

Yeah I was more speaking to the keeping of Patricia and Quinn for one more season I believe is the right call. But if there isn’t major improvement this season, time to move on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

I mean, that's true, but...

The Lions are almost universally expected to be one of the worst teams in the NFL. But the more I look at the situation, I can’t help but feel like the NFC North is wide open. It wouldn't surprise me if any of the four teams won the division, and I'm honestly not convinced that the Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings or Chicago Bears have a better roster than Detroit.

Considering that the Lions went 3-12-1 last season and have roughly +6,000 odds to win the Super Bowl this year, this is not a popular opinion. Here's the reasoning.

THE LIONS WERE COMPETITIVE WITH MATTHEW STAFFORD LAST SEASON

Let’s take a trip through the start to Detroit’s 2019 season.

Those were the results with Matthew Stafford at quarterback — before fractured bones in his back sidelined him for the remainder of the 2019 season. Of course, Detroit would go on to lose the remainder of its games with David Blough and Jeff Driskel under center. But this was not your typical three-win team. The Lions were competitive even in their losses with Stafford, pushing two teams that earned first-round byes in Kansas City and Green Bay. Both were games they very well could have won.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-the-detroit-lions-may-have-the-best-roster-in-the-nfc-north

• Like 1

It ain't Stafford being good or bad, healthy or injured. It's the defense. He was brought here to be a genius and his defenses have been putrid. OK, you say he doesn't have the players. He has a GM who's been there for four years and keeping the seat warm for Matt for the first two, and has done things like draft Hockenson over Ed Oliver. 

• Like 3

It will be interesting to see how she does.  Anytime you have a team who has struggled like the Lions have for so long, I put that on ownership.  She might be "more of the same" since she is from the same family, but you never know.  She could end up being the best that has happened to the team in years.  Best of luck to the Lions - their loyal fans deserve it.