Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Nnivolcm

Martha Ford Steps Down

Recommended Posts

Quote

The team announced Tuesday that Martha Firestone Ford, who took over after William Clay Ford Sr. died in 2014, has stepped down as the principal owner of the team. Sheila Ford Hamp will succeed her mother as the club's principal owner and chairman.

https://www.nfl.com/news/lions-owner-martha-ford-stepping-down-will-be-succeeded-by-daughter

I don't think this really changes much of anything, but not a lot to talk about this time of year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

buh byeeeeeeeee. please sell the team to someone who really cares 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

But can she play on the right side of the o-line?

Edited by LionArkie
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2020 at 3:34 PM, Nnivolcm said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/lions-owner-martha-ford-stepping-down-will-be-succeeded-by-daughter

I don't think this really changes much of anything, but not a lot to talk about this time of year.

I agree. It’s just more of the same. There’s allot to be said for stability. IF YOU’RE A WINNING ORG. She was part of the three person team that hired Quinn, Patricia and fired Cakdwell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

I agree. It’s just more of the same. There’s allot to be said for stability. IF YOU’RE A WINNING ORG. She was part of the three person team that hired Quinn, Patricia and fired Cakdwell.

You do remember that Martha hired at the suggestion of the league, Ernie Acorsi to conduct a search to a new team president. This process resulted in Rod Wood being hired. Then Wood conducted a GM search using league assets that determined Bob Quinn was the best candidate. These are non-football people who have been getting advice from the league and following that advice. They've brought in football people to make the football decisions. As GM, Quinn has the power to hire/fire a coach. If he isn't, then you're getting meddling from ownership which is usually a recipe for failure. 

Again, this has been an organizational reset over the last 6 years. We haven't had the success on the field but there have been a lot of changes around the organization since Martha inherited the role of principal owner with William Clay Ford's death in 2014. If you listen to the most recent episode of the "The Detroit Lions Podcast", they go over a lot of the things that Martha has done during her time as owner. 

Sheila is her own person and is 20 years younger than when her mother took over as owner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

You do remember that Martha hired at the suggestion of the league, Ernie Acorsi to conduct a search to a new team president. This process resulted in Rod Wood being hired. Then Wood conducted a GM search using league assets that determined Bob Quinn was the best candidate. These are non-football people who have been getting advice from the league and following that advice. They've brought in football people to make the football decisions. As GM, Quinn has the power to hire/fire a coach. If he isn't, then you're getting meddling from ownership which is usually a recipe for failure. 

Again, this has been an organizational reset over the last 6 years. We haven't had the success on the field but there have been a lot of changes around the organization since Martha inherited the role of principal owner with William Clay Ford's death in 2014. If you listen to the most recent episode of the "The Detroit Lions Podcast", they go over a lot of the things that Martha has done during her time as owner. 

Sheila is her own person and is 20 years younger than when her mother took over as owner. 

Wood and the two Fords were the decision makers. Using outside resources doesn’t alter that. 

No chance Quinn can hire or fire a HC without executive approval. Executive approval is not meddling. It’s oversight. Mrs. Hamp has already said she will be very involved. In her next breath she’s careful to say she won’t meddle. Anyone who believes an owner won’t meddle if a decision detrimental to team image, public relations or serious financial damage is contemplated isn’t thinking. GM’s can’t trade certain players without executive approval either. 

They can call it whatever they want. Retool, reset, upgrade, reinvention, recalibrate, rebuild but you can’t make a silk purse from a sows ear. It’s an under achieving organization with a long track record of failure. 

Martha has done some good things. Those good things don’t translate to functional goal one which is winning games.

Mrs. Hamp, in interviews continually references how she’s been at her mothers side for all decisions and how much she’s learned. Great, her knowledge base is 100% learned in an ineffective organization. Her age is irrelevant.

This is nothing more than placing one of her kids in the top chair. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

You do remember that Martha hired at the suggestion of the league, Ernie Acorsi to conduct a search to a new team president. This process resulted in Rod Wood being hired. Then Wood conducted a GM search using league assets that determined Bob Quinn was the best candidate. These are non-football people who have been getting advice from the league and following that advice. They've brought in football people to make the football decisions. As GM, Quinn has the power to hire/fire a coach. If he isn't, then you're getting meddling from ownership which is usually a recipe for failure. 

Again, this has been an organizational reset over the last 6 years. We haven't had the success on the field but there have been a lot of changes around the organization since Martha inherited the role of principal owner with William Clay Ford's death in 2014. If you listen to the most recent episode of the "The Detroit Lions Podcast", they go over a lot of the things that Martha has done during her time as owner. 

Sheila is her own person and is 20 years younger than when her mother took over as owner. 

I don't thing a truly independent party would have suggested we hire Rod Wood, a close friend and employee of the Ford's who had no football knowledge when taking over the team.  I get as President, its not all about football and you have to have business acumen but you still would hope for someone somewhat involved in the industry. 

The rest I think DHLF addressed appropriately. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...