Had To Share This With You All

soulman

http://www.creamcitycentral.com/sports/why-the-packers-wide-receiver-room-isnt-a-concern-for-now/#respond

Why The Packers Wide Receiver Room Isn’t A Concern (For Now)

June 22, 2020

IMG_6832.jpg?w=504

First off, don't worry.  I have not become a Packer fan and any suggestions to the contrary are vicious ugly rumors and "fake news".  LOL

I posted it because my grandson wrote this.  It's his first blog on this site and albeit that I'm a little prejudiced I thought it was a pretty fine analysis and piece of writing for a 16 year old HS student who nonetheless is a very savvy sports fan especially regarding the NFL and the NFCN.  And what else is amazing is he's been like this for about 5 years now.  Whenever we talk football it is not like I'm just talking to a "kid".  Joe knows his stuff plus he's an honor roll student who wants to study sports management in college.  Needless to say I'm behind him all the way.

I kept it to posting only the link instead of the entire article so read at your own discretion and if you do enjoy his work give him a "LIKE" even if he is a low down dirty Packer fan.  LOLOL

(What can I say?  I tried but my daughter burned the Bears tee-shirt I sent for him when he was a baby......then she mailed me the ashes. :o)

Edited by soulman
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, soulman said:

http://www.creamcitycentral.com/sports/why-the-packers-wide-receiver-room-isnt-a-concern-for-now/#respond

June 22, 2020

IMG_6832.jpg?w=504

First off, don't worry.  I have not become a Packer fan and any suggestions to the contrary are vicious ugly rumors and "fake news".  LOL

I posted it because my grandson wrote this.  It's his first blog on this site and albeit that I'm a little prejudiced I thought it was a pretty fine analysis and piece of writing for a 16 year old HS student who nonetheless is a very savvy sports fan especially regarding the NFL and the NFCN.  And what else is amazing is he's been like this for about 5 years now.  Whenever we talk football it is not like I'm just talking to a "kid".  Joe knows his stuff plus he's an honor roll student who wants to study sports management in college.  Needless to say I'm behind him all the way.

I kept it to posting only the link instead of the entire article so read at your own discretion and if you do enjoy his work give him a "LIKE" even if he is a low down dirty Packer fan.  LOLOL

(What can I say?  I tried but my daughter burned the Bears tee-shirt I sent for him when he was a baby......then she mailed me the ashes. :o)

He's gotta be better than Rob Demovsky or whatever the Packers beat writer is. That guy is a turd.

And congrats! That's a huge accomplishment and tight that he's got a path ahead of him. Good luck to him in his ventures.

• Like 2

We were in shambles after draft, but on second thought everything looks pretty good.   We got tons of 3rd year experience at WR.  

Got those yellow shades on like a true fan.

He makes a really good point thought that Packers are basically bringing everyone of note back minus Jimmy Graham and added Funchess and replaced their MLB.  All this from a 13-3 team.   They could afford perhaps to invest in future at QB knowing they aren't likely to be drafting in top 5 anytime soon.   

Bears are still celebrating 12 wins from two years ago like it was '85.  They just topped that.   

Love it.  Nice work.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The_Romen said:

He's gotta be better than Rob Demovsky or whatever the Packers beat writer is. That guy is a turd.

And congrats! That's a huge accomplishment and tight that he's got a path ahead of him. Good luck to him in his ventures.

Thanks brother.  I'm quite proud of him.  He's a very smart industrious kid and my daughter has done a great job raising him despite being a single Mom.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dll2000 said:

We were in shambles after draft, but on second thought everything looks pretty good.   We got tons of 3rd year experience at WR.  

He makes a really good point thought that Packers are basically bringing everyone of note back minus Jimmy Graham and added Funchess and replaced their MLB.  All this from a 13-3 team.   They could afford perhaps to invest in future at QB knowing they aren't likely to be drafting in top 5 anytime soon.   

Bears are still celebrating 12 wins from two years ago like it was '85.  They just topped that.   

Love it.  Nice work.  

Joe seems to see the Packers as I often see the Bears sans Aaron Rodgers of course which for many years has basically been all that separates us from them.

At WR we have ARob,  they have De'vante Adams, and both teams have some young talent hoping to break out at #2 and #3 WR spots.  We may even have better talent at WR but we don't have Rodgers helping a second or third tier guy shine like he can.   At least we've evened up any differences at TE for now.  So both teams do have some pass catching talent.

I fully expect Joe to see GB in the best light but despite his Momma's insane homerism that part has never seemed to run off on him.  Apparently he inherited some of my analytical genes so he's not unwilling to see both positives and negatives and realizes that without Aaron Rodger the Packers would have been a .500 team many years at best. He's still a realist.

I'm just very proud of him for stepping up and doing a blog article which I always seem too lazy to pursue instead preferring to just write on forums among friends.  But then at my age I have no aspirations of ever being more than an Armchair GM and a Monday Morning QB whereas he does so I'll live vicariously through my more motivated grandson.

But every once in a while a semi-evil though flashes through my mind.  What if in 15 or 20 years he got a job working for the Bears?  Or became the Bears GM?   :ph34r:   Would my daughter and his aunt Sarah **** their britches or would they finally have to give in and become Bears fans.  LOLOL

• Like 3

On 6/24/2020 at 5:19 PM, soulman said:

Thanks brother.  I'm quite proud of him.  He's a very smart industrious kid and my daughter has done a great job raising him despite being a Packers fan.

Fixed.

Seriously though he seems REALLY aware of the game for a 16 year old. At his age I had the meathead mentality, wanted the biggest OL, a Bettis-sized RB, a QB with a howitzer, etc. It wasnt until my jr or senior year I really started to figure out more about the game. He's got a solid head start.

• Like 2

On 6/24/2020 at 4:24 PM, dll2000 said:

Love it.  Nice work.  

The Packers haven't taken a skill position in round 1 since 2008. I understand the "they went 13-3 so why not take a stab at QB" idea to a degree, except Rodgers is great but he's going to begin declining. Giving him s*** at WR and TE is not necessarily the route I'd go if I were Gutekunst, but I suppose the author's opinion is the bums they have will suddenly improve, so by that theory they'll be fine. The Bears tried that with Cutler for a few years; not sure why you would invest so much in a QB and give him no one to throw to.

Edited by beardown3231

7 hours ago, Sugashane said:
On 6/24/2020 at 6:19 PM, soulman said:

Thanks brother.  I'm quite proud of him.  He's a very smart industrious kid and my daughter has done a great job raising him despite being a Packers fan.

Fixed.

THIS! All the way! You gotta work on that soulman. I have family members that are Pitt and Cowboys and that's bad enough, but Packers fans......that's drawing the line. CONVERT HIM DAMMIT LOL!

My closest niece is a packers fan and it hurts. Albeit, she didn't start watching football until her late 20s and is only a PAckers fan because she decided to choose a team by literally throwing names into a hat just to be different lol. 

5 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

The Packers haven't taken a skill position in round 1 since 2008. I understand the "they went 13-3 so why not take a stab at QB" idea to a degree, except Rodgers is great but he's going to begin declining. Giving him s*** at WR and TE is not necessarily the route I'd go if I were Gutekunst, but I suppose the author's opinion is the bums they have will suddenly improve, so by that theory they'll be fine. The Bears tried that with Cutler for a few years; not sure why you would invest so much in a QB and give him no one to throw to.

Because they didn't need too. They invested in their OL and they needed a defense. Not sure why the #1 pick is the cutoff though. That's a weird take. 

And the PAckers current situation is nowhere near comparable to the Cutler era. 

On 6/24/2020 at 11:40 AM, soulman said:

June 22, 2020

IMG_6832.jpg?w=504

Some solid writing, especially for his age. Congrats man. I wish him the best in the future. 

I don't necessarily agree with his opinion that the WR position shouldn't be a concern moving forward but I will say that it's not as MUCH as of hindrance as most people are making it out to be. Rodgers still has Adams, Lazard and Jones (for this year anyhow--Jones is gone next season). I do still think they should have used taken advantage of the deep WR class instead of a QB because they have alot of key players who are coming up on the end of their contracts next season and they can't pay them all. Especially now with the C19 virus affecting the cap salary for 2021.  

But I do agree with him about Lazard though.

As he mentioned, Lazard is a big body receiver with solid hands and good catch radius. He has a lot of potential. He needs to work on his footwork, cut routes, and be able to move through traffic better though -- especially in the Packers scheme where they use alot of bump and crossing route concepts---but all of this is coachable and comes with time.  

One thing he didn't bring up was his deceptive speed for a guy listed at 6'5" over 225 pounds. No, he's not a burner but his very long strides (6 feet apart at full speed)  allow him to get to point A to point B extremely fast for a kid his size (ala Megatron--he was also 6'5 over 225 and was never a "burner " either but his long strides helped make up for what he lacked in natural physical speed). 

To help illustrate the point of his long strides, here is a couple of screenshots from the Giants game last season comparing his strides to Davente Adams, who is no slouch himself, where Lazard lines up inside next to Adams and both of their routs start out in-line with each other, which offers a good chance to compare the two side-by-side.

You can see how much longer Lazard's strides are compared to Adams. I took two screenshots seconds apart after they both get a chance to gain a bit of speed and before their routes broke off from one another. And this is in snow! 

FEfFub2.png

8moVaiJ.png

Here is a full clip of the play that went for TD.

T9cGc9S.gif

Here is a bonus clip from the same game that should have been a TD if Rodgers makes a better pass and leads Lazard instead making him slow down and change his route.

FxTfb9C.giff

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Fixed.

Seriously though he seems REALLY aware of the game for a 16 year old. At his age I had the meathead mentality, wanted the biggest OL, a Bettis-sized RB, a QB with a howitzer, etc. It wasnt until my jr or senior year I really started to figure out more about the game. He's got a solid head start.

Haha, not only is she a huge Packer fan but also one of the biggest "homers" on the planet.  She always texts me on Packer vs Bears game days before and after IF GB wins.  If we win then it's crickets at least until she can come up with some valid excuse for losing.  It's pretty funny really.  But she and my other daughter have lived in GB their entire lives.  Sarah was best friends with Mike Holmgren's daughter and Kelly has created advertising materials and promos for the Packer organization and usually gets tickets for games so it's all to be expected.  What's more unexpected is when people say to them "whatta ya mean your Dad is a Bears fan"?  That's when they're brave enough to actually admit it.....LOLOL.

Joe is very aware of the game and he's been that way about whatever interests him ever since he was about 5 years old.  He's an intellectual sponge when it comes to sports knowledge and trivia.  The kid memorizes stats and other facts like we memorize passwords.  I'm good at that stuff too but he puts me to shame.  So if he wants to make sports management, or writing, or broadcasting (he's done that too) his life career he'll succeed.   And I thank you for the kind words.  I'll let him know that even a bunch of Bears fans are impressed with his work. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

THIS! All the way! You gotta work on that soulman. I have family members that are Pitt and Cowboys and that's bad enough, but Packers fans......that's drawing the line. CONVERT HIM DAMMIT LOL!

My closest niece is a packers fan and it hurts. Albeit, she didn't start watching football until her late 20s and is only a PAckers fan because she decided to choose a team by literally throwing names into a hat just to be different lol. 

Never gonna happen brother.  That ship sailed long ago.  How many true born and raised Bears fans do you know who have ever converted to Packer fans?

Look at me.  I haven't lived in Chicago since 1965 and I lived in WI longer than I lived in Illinois.  The cheeseheads outnumbered me by the thousands and couldn't covert me.  And I've lived in CO longer than anywhere yet I'm still far more a Bears fan than a Bronco fan.  In fact the guys in the liquor store I shop in to buy smokes call me Mr. Chicago because of my Bears hat,  jackets, and tee shirts.  I still represent even after all these years.  :D

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Because they didn't need too. They invested in their OL and they needed a defense. Not sure why the #1 pick is the cutoff though. That's a weird take. 

And the PAckers current situation is nowhere near comparable to the Cutler era. 

It's not a weird take at all. Of course teams find good players after round 1, but your odds of finding one are greatly enhanced in round 1. IMO Rodgers is a once in a generation QB. Unfortunately QB's need help, whether it's a genius coaching staff or good playmakers. Adams is a really good player but Rodgers has been open on multiple occasions on wanting more talent on offense. They never really have gotten him that or at least taken his requests seriously. I mean, they totally ignored WR this year and last. Did they take 3 guys in 2018? Yes but they all stink (all 3 after round 3). They took someone named Deangelo Yancey in round 5 and Malachi Dupre in round 7 in 2017. As he continues his decline he's going to need some playmakers around him soon. I'm happy they continue to ignore it, but it's not a path I'd be happy about if the Bears were doing it.

And you're right. I'm not necessarily comparing the current situations to one another, but Rodgers and Cutler both costed their organizations a lot. One was taken with a 1, one of was traded for two 1's. Both had a lot tied into them in terms of money. It took the Bears a few years to find actual football players for Jay to play with, and GB seems to ending Rodgers' career the exact same way. 

15 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Here is a bonus clip from the same game that should have been a TD if Rodgers makes a better pass and leads Lazard instead making him slow down and change his route.

FxTfb9C.giff

Wow.  Adams just took that whole play off.  I think that is Adams at top of screen.  Pretty lame route.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Wow.  Adams just took that whole play off.  I think that is Adams at top of screen.  Pretty lame route.

Yup.   We can see Rodgers look to him then be forced to wing a hope and a prayer deep ball that had the CB turned to look for the ball could have been a pick.

• Like 1

I think the piece is essentially right, actually. Adams can be hot and cold, but when he's hot he's as good as anybody. Lazard isn't a bum. He'll show a lot of improvement his second year out there. Packers could be better shape with their "skill" players, sure, but it's far from a dumpster fire.

Rodgers also wasn't his usual high caliber player last year, either. Kind of weird to find fault with the receivers when your normally dependable All-Universe quarterback takes a big step back.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

I think the piece is essentially right, actually. Adams can be hot and cold, but when he's hot he's as good as anybody. Lazard isn't a bum. He'll show a lot of improvement his second year out there. Packers could be better shape with their "skill" players, sure, but it's far from a dumpster fire.

Rodgers also wasn't his usual high caliber player last year, either. Kind of weird to find fault with the receivers when your normally dependable All-Universe quarterback takes a big step back.

He's 36. Guys decline. He's on his way. They need to surround him with more and he asks for it annually.