Hall of Fame Game Canceled

SpacemanSpiff

39 minutes ago, theJ said:

Definitely won't be the last.  I'll be very surprised if they play a whole season.  And at this point i am thinking we may not see any football this year.

Unless hell freezes over, there will be football.  I just think they'll cut down the number of preseason games.  Roger will make it work, whether that means more expansion of rosters and other things remains to be seen.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Unless hell freezes over, there will be football.  I just think they'll cut down the number of preseason games.  Roger will make it work, whether that means more expansion of rosters and other things remains to be seen.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-25648513/town-of-hell-freezes-over-in-the-us#:~:text=Exit player-,Town of Hell freezes over in the US,US states experiencing freezing temperatures.

Ruh roh.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Yea, they're likely not doing the HoF ceremony in canton or having the event, so no reason for two teams to have a fifth preseason game. I'm not sure this is some indication that the season is in jeopardy.

3 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Yea, they're likely not doing the HoF ceremony in canton or having the event, so no reason for two teams to have a fifth preseason game. I'm not sure this is some indication that the season is in jeopardy.

That's a fair point. IF the NFL is going to sacrifice any game, it was always going to be this one, no doubt. Despite that, I remain extremely skeptical the regular season will be played in full or at all.

1 minute ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

That's a fair point. IF the NFL is going to sacrifice any game, it was always going to be this one, no doubt. Despite that, I remain extremely skeptical the regular season will be played in full or at all.

That's fine, that's certainly a defensible opinion/POV. I would just disagree with the notion that this news is signaling momentum going in that direction, rather than a logical update to the overall plan given the constraints we will be working with this season. It seems more likely to me that in planning for the 2020 season someone said "hey, does it make sense for us to have this 5th preseason game if we won't be holding the ceremony, etc.?" than this being a reaction to anything that has happened in the last week or two.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theJ said:

Definitely won't be the last.  I'll be very surprised if they play a whole season.  And at this point i am thinking we may not see any football this year.

I won't decide that until after I see what the other sports do. If the NBA, NHL complete their seasons as they are trying to at this point, and the mlb gets through, then I think there is little chance that the NFL backs down to willingly lose money from playing games because of this without a huge spike

• Like 2

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

How the league is going to "inoculate" 32 football teams for 4-5 months will be quite the feat.

Edited by Leader

It is a wasted game anyways the 2 teams involved means they have 5 Preseason games and honestly that is not necessary as the starters at most play one series during that game. They need to cut pre-season down to 2 games and one would be for all the starters to get in some work for half to 2/3rd of 1 game total then let the back ups play the remaining game and half -game and a quarter, to get their roster in shape for the season. With everything else going on MLB, MLS, NBA, and NHL starting back up with out fans the NFL should not have any stumbles in to the regular season. The league made 2 smart moves this week by adding banners to the 1st 6-8 rows blocking fans from interacting with players and having the city/state decide whether or not fans can enter and % of how many. The NFL has now taken the pressure and blame off of them and on to the local government to decide as this will impact jobs as well. Outside a few hot spot areas I think majority of the NFL will have at least 75% attendance come week 1. Unless the 2nd waive of the virus comes through and requires more shut downs I do not see why this risk is any different then flying in a plane, going to a grocery store, beaches (now that they are open), restaurants are opening all over, and theme parks set to resume in July. So the risk is going to be there no point of shutting the season down or shortening the regular season, to many businesses have been hurt along with other organizations due to the virus. NFL has a ton of employees and will hurt the small people that are not players. 

58 minutes ago, Leader said:

How the league is going to "inoculate" 32 football teams for 4-5 months will be quite the feat.

They won't be able to...and I imagine there will be players that may opt out of playing out of their own fears.  I just think the NFL and teams will have to be flexible in regards to that (something they haven't always been known to do) since this is so unusual.  But, outside of the reduction of some preseason games, I still feel the season will go on as scheduled and they'll just adjust as needed.  Unlike MLB and the MLBPA, the NFL and the NFLPA mostly get along, outside of a few nagging issues, so they'll work out issues as they come up.

Edited by swede700