Number One Pick For These Teams

Ninersfan1984

From the Jets prospective: If we had the #1 pick, that meant that Darnold probably had a season ending injury (e.g. ACL tear). Depending on a possible injury, I'd be looking at Fields, Lawrence, or Lance b/c injury. With that all being said, I would think that we would be a very prime candidate to trade out (haven't studied the edge class particularly in depth yet — that would be my first place to look) first. 

There would also be a convo about Ja'Marr Chase (we still desperately need a solid #1 WR — whether Mims can be that is TBD) and maybe Sewell (also looking at how Becton gets on in year 1). 

So I'd say my preference would look like:

1. Trade Back/Edge (if there's a clear cut Bosa/Young type), 

2. Chase/Sewell

3. QB (if there's a "serious" Darnold injury)

22 minutes ago, Johnthejetsfan said:

I'm assuming trade back would be your top choice in that case? Not sure who else y'all would consider except maybe Lawrence ?

Rousseau, if he turns into Chase Young 2.0.

I’d trade back a few spots for Rousseau or Chase. Or a little further back for Parsons.

Edited by Tetsujin

12 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

Didn't they learn that lesson with Jake Long?

Long had injury issues. I don’t regret that particular pick. Miami went to the playoffs his rookie year. He was fantastic his first few years. 

If we need an OT, trade back and don't go with the guy who's probably going to reset the market when it's time to re-sign. 

Edited by Tetsujin

17 hours ago, Ninersfan1984 said:

What if the Chargers,Redskins,Jets,Dolphins or Giants get number one pick since they really do not need a QB?

All those teams would either Josh Rosen their current QBs or they would trade out with Jacksonville for a massive haul

And with regards to the argument that Miami should've taken Matt Ryan over Jake Long:

1) Miami was coming off a 1-15 season, then brought in a brand new regime who wanted to be a smash mouth  run-based team.We had to rebuild the o-line, because we had only 1 good OLman at the time (RT Vernon Carey). Long was brought in to establish the power run game. We ended up bringing in Pennington after the draft, who had a good season. this was also the season that Miami debuted the Wildcat with Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown. Miami went from 1-15 to 11-5.

2) And Matt Ryan was a good QB prospect, but not some "can't miss"guy. Jake Long went to the PB his first 4 seasons with 2 All-Pro selections. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tetsujin said:

And with regards to the argument that Miami should've taken Matt Ryan over Jake Long:

1) Miami was coming off a 1-15 season, then brought in a brand new regime who wanted to be a smash mouth  run-based team.We had to rebuild the o-line, because we had only 1 good OLman at the time (RT Vernon Carey). Long was brought in to establish the power run game. We ended up bringing in Pennington after the draft, who had a good season. this was also the season that Miami debuted the Wildcat with Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown. Miami went from 1-15 to 11-5.

2) And Matt Ryan was a good QB prospect, but not some "can't miss"guy. Jake Long went to the PB his first 4 seasons with 2 All-Pro selections. 

This also ignores the fact that Miami is still hunting for their franchise QB, Matt Ryan is still playing while Long has been out for...7? years, Ryan was a league MVP, and took his team to the SB.

It was a terrible decision.  Even if Long had become Joe Thomas caliber, it was a bad choice.

• Like 2