Number One Pick For These Teams

Ninersfan1984

On 6/29/2020 at 4:17 PM, Classic said:

Unless Herbert looks Josh Rosen 2.0, there is no chance Dean Spanos allows whoever is our G.M is to take another QB. This is a franchise that sat on Ryan Leaf for 2 full seasons when it was beyond obvious he was the W.O.A.T.

We would almost certainly trade down or take the Oregon tackle.

The Chargers would not pass on Lawrence. He'd be a box office draw. If the Chargers are picking 1st, there's a reason for it

• Like 1

13 hours ago, brushmyhair said:

Only Seattle and Kansas City wouldn't

They would. It means that something happened with Wilson / Mahomes. And even if that wasn't the case and it's their whole team they would still pick Lawrence and trade him for some players they need. You can't pass on Lawrence. That's not gonna happen.

17 hours ago, Killashaw said:

They would. It means that something happened with Wilson / Mahomes. And even if that wasn't the case and it's their whole team they would still pick Lawrence and trade him for some players they need. You can't pass on Lawrence. That's not gonna happen.

That doesn't make sense why wouldn't the Chiefs or Seahawks not trade out when the demand is at its highest? What could you get the day after the draft that you couldn't before? Any stars would need to be worked in the cap and having boat load of high draft picks from a team that probably wouldn't win with Lawrence early on to me sounds more valuable. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Classic said:

That doesn't make sense why wouldn't the Chiefs or Seahawks not trade out when the demand is at its highest? What could you get the day after the draft that you couldn't before? Any stars would need to be worked in the cap and having boat load of high draft picks from a team that probably wouldn't win with Lawrence early on to me sounds more valuable. 

I clearly posted in my first message that IF a team can't trade out (not getting the offer they want) every team would still pick Lawrence.

Obviously if you can trade out for the max, that's what you would do.

Edited by Killashaw

On 6/28/2020 at 1:05 AM, KingOfTheDot said:

Chargers- Lawrence

Redskins- Lawrence

Jets- Penei 

Dolphins- Lawrence

Giants- Lawrence

This except the opposite. 

If the Jets are picking #1, Darnold in his 3rd season is a bust.

On 6/28/2020 at 3:07 PM, sammymvpknight said:

I don’t understand the logic in this at all. How is a Darnold some sort of untouchable QB at this point?

Yeah I can't agree with this either. If we are picking 1st overall, it means either Darnold had a season-ending injury or just completely crapped the bed. Both instances would mean we need to take Lawrence.

That being said, I don't see that happening. I see the Jets being closer to an 8-8/playoff team contending for the division more than I see them as the worst team in the league.

17 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

Yeah I can't agree with this either. If we are picking 1st overall, it means either Darnold had a season-ending injury or just completely crapped the bed. Both instances would mean we need to take Lawrence.

That being said, I don't see that happening. I see the Jets being closer to an 8-8/playoff team contending for the division more than I see them as the worst team in the league.

If the Jets tank, they absolutely should consider the guy who I consider one of the best QB prospects in recent memory. I'm not sure that Darnold is the problem...but if you are picking at that spot, I think that you have to be a REALLY REALLY good reason to not take Lawrence.

• 2 weeks later...

Why aren't the Bengals in this discussion?  All I read on here is how bad they are or will be.  They just had the #1 pick, and honestly, the fact that they just took Burrow would create  some interesting scenarios.

If it happened, unless Burrow got seriously injured, my phone lines are open.  There would be two calls I'd be looking to take: the teams in spots 2 and three.  In a perfect scenario, the Giants are at #2 and the Jags at #3.

If the Giants are at #2, the bidding starts with pick #2, a future first (2022) and Andrew thomas.  If it's the Jags, it starts with both #1s in this upcoming draft and a future 1st in 2022.    Assuming that the team that lost out on Lawrence would still want Fields, I'd take a lesser offer to slide again to #3, then target either Penni Sewell or JeMarr Chase.  The Giants could peddle off Jones for whatever they could get to recoup a pick to replace Thomas.

If the Bengals took Sewell, then Jonah Williams goes to RT.  If we took Chase, we have the most explosive, young WR room in the league (Green, Boyd, Higgins, Chase).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Any team who finishes with the #1 seed will take Lawrence - and for good reason.

No team has finished in that position with excellent QB play, it’s usually the main reason they’re there in the first place. Cardinals did it with Rosen, I’m sure the Dolphins or Chargers - whoever - finishes in that position takes Lawrence.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2020 at 3:09 PM, Ninersfan1984 said:

What if the Chargers,Redskins,Jets,Dolphins or Giants get number one pick since they really do not need a QB?

Chargers would be best served to trade down and go BPA on the O-line with their first 2 or 3 picks. They have pieces on D and weapons on O, so their line would have to be the root cause. 

Skins could be interesting. If Haskins plays bad, he's probably replaced. If it isn't a QB problem, I'd say they trade down and take use the capital to address whatever the need(s) is/are. 

Jets...man they have talent across the board good enough to avoid picking at 1 overall. It would have to be a Darnold thing. He's got the raw talent, but it would be either poor play or another injury. 2021 would see the Jets with a 3rd new HC in Darnold's tenure. He's teetering in some regards or the injury issues would be becoming problematic. I'd go QB1 with the #1 and try and move Darnold while his stock still has value. 

Dolphins would be interesting as they killed it this draft and FA cycle. I for one don't care what the doctors say, Tua's hip could be a huge disaster be it physically, mentally, or both. In that case, go QB1. If not, Miami has the room to go BPA if there's a non-QB impact player with #1 hype. Depending on who is picking 2-X, they could possibly trade down too. 

Giants would be best served to trade down too. Somewhere between the Chargers/Skins and Dolphins in terms of analysis. My guess would be needing a weapon on O or a CB. Try and trade down and grab either WR1 or Derek Stingley. If Stingley isn't available, CB2. If they REALLY fall in love with him and think they can't get him with a trade down, I guess take him? 

Not really sexy, I know, but with those teams (Jets aside, Miami depending on circumstances) there's really not much better to do.