GDT 2017: Week 4 - Ravens vs. Steelers

coordinator0

It's Steelers week again. Both teams are coming off highly disappointing losses, so this one should be interesting. We'll see which organization is better at responding to hardship. Also:

@wackywabbit @Danand @RavensfanRD @ravens_rool28 @RavensTillIDie @RavensDefense3 @ravens5520 @Ravens-01 @paraven @Darth Pees @berlin calling @Mancunian Raven @sp6488 @OleXmad @BaltimoreTerp @Stance Punk @Ray Reed @Rein  @beezee @M.10.E @DontTazeMeBro @cJb @BareYourTeeth @drd23

Who ya got?

Without veering too much off script, I'm just curious to see what attendance looks like at the stadium this weekend amidst certain reports.

Other issues aside, for whatever reason, this game doesn't really feel like your typical Ravens-Steelers matchup. No real brashness from either side coming off of humbling defeats against lesser opponents. I expect the Ravens to bounce back after last week, especially the defense, but I don't know if we have enough firepower on offense to keep up with the Steelers set of weapons.

11 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I'm really concerned about playing a week after traveling to the UK. Not using that as a preemptive excuse if we lose. But that can't be an easy thing to do 

Given what I read about their travel plans, I don't think jet lag/fatigue should be an issue. They may have had a somewhat shortened work week in terms of practice, but I don't think they should have any issues being alert and relatively prepared for this Sunday's game (at home).

I have no idea what to think about this game given that the Ravens didn't even turn up to the last game and the Steelers lost to the Bears (who looked pretty damn bad today)

All I hope for is that the defense plays up to its potential and makes a game of it, and that the offense limits its turnovers

What's up everyone, I haven't been around for a while, but I've still been reading the forums from time to time. Decided I would make my grand return for Ravens/Steelers week. I'm going to try to post more often if my schedule allows for it. 

Anyways, onto the game, one of the biggest things I'll be looking for is if our run defense truly is bad when Brandon Williams is out (as it sounds like he won't play most likely), or if we just truly weren't mentally in that Jaguars game. It'll be key to slow down Le'Veon on first down and force them into 2nd/3rd and long situations. The Jags were able to easily pick up 5-6 yards pretty often on first down, which makes it much harder on our defense to get stops. If we can force them into passing situations, I think our secondary can hold their own, assuming we don't have any more injuries throughout the game.

Offensively, as everyone knows, it comes down to how the offensive line plays. I hope to see Alex Collins get involved earlier as he seems to be our best back and if we can get the run game going early, then we might have a chance to keep Joe clean in the pocket. It sounds like Watt and Tuitt are probably going to play and we need to do something to stop the pass rush from consistently getting after Joe. If we can't do that, it'll be another long day for the offense. 

I think the defense comes out ready to play this week and we win a close one 13-10. Collins gets his first Ravens TD and Justin Tucker kicks the game winner late in the 4th. 

37 minutes ago, Go_Ravens2 said:

Anyways, onto the game, one of the biggest things I'll be looking for is if our run defense truly is bad when Brandon Williams is out (as it sounds like he won't play most likely), or if we just truly weren't mentally in that Jaguars game.

This is the big question mark for me. I've seen some people, on another forum, who were talking about how the Jags game would prove that the Ravens were stupid to give that money to Brandon Williams, that they expected no drop-off in the run defense without him playing. Well... the entire defense played horribly, but we still don't know if part of it is because Williams was out. I tend to think the passrush suffered badly without him, occupying blockers. And if he isn't there on Sunday, I think we'll see the Ravens again struggling to get to Roethlisburger.

Honestly, I don't know what to expect. The Ravens won't be as bad as they were in London, it's simply not possible. But the Steelers will probably be better than they were in Chicago too. Still, I don't want to use London as a barometer for anything, so we still have to see how the O-line performs without Yanda, and whether Alex Collins has done enough to play from the start. Also, whether he'll be as effective in the first half as he has been in the second half of games.

I just worry that Bell is primed to go off in this game, after being less than impressive in the first three weeks. It seems like the Ravens often find ways of hurting themselves unpredictably, and that feels like the most likely method, this week.

25 minutes ago, Mancunian Raven said:

This is the big question mark for me. I've seen some people, on another forum, who were talking about how the Jags game would prove that the Ravens were stupid to give that money to Brandon Williams, that they expected no drop-off in the run defense without him playing. Well... the entire defense played horribly, but we still don't know if part of it is because Williams was out. I tend to think the passrush suffered badly without him, occupying blockers. And if he isn't there on Sunday, I think we'll see the Ravens again struggling to get to Roethlisburger.

Honestly, I don't know what to expect. The Ravens won't be as bad as they were in London, it's simply not possible. But the Steelers will probably be better than they were in Chicago too. Still, I don't want to use London as a barometer for anything, so we still have to see how the O-line performs without Yanda, and whether Alex Collins has done enough to play from the start. Also, whether he'll be as effective in the first half as he has been in the second half of games.

I just worry that Bell is primed to go off in this game, after being less than impressive in the first three weeks. It seems like the Ravens often find ways of hurting themselves unpredictably, and that feels like the most likely method, this week.

I think the whole defense was in disarray and allowing big plays on first down took them a bit out of their element. We have enough talent in the front 7, that we *should* be able to not get embarrassed when Brandon Williams is out. We can't get pushed around up front. If Pierce wants a big contract after his rookie deal is up, these are the types of games he needs to play well in. He needs to show he can be the centerpiece of a dominant DL. I also agree that our pass rush was lacking last week, which was a huge disappointment after how well they played the first 2 games. If we aren't able to get a consistent pass rush with Suggs, Williams, Bowser, Smith, Judon, etc, then we need to really evaluate the playcalling/scheme because there is way too much talent in that group to be underperforming. 

I don't expect our offense to ever really be anything better than average until we fix our offensive line woes. All I really want/expect out of them is to be able to pick up a few first downs to let the defense rest, protect the football, and take advantage of the good field position when our defense puts them in that position. Running the ball is key to that, which is why I hope Collins gets involved early because he seems the most likely to get the run game going to me. 

Well, somehow some way we almost always manage to play above our talent level against the Steelers. And, somehow someway we almost always manage to beat them recently. 

However, we have no offensive line and we have no passing game, and we're coming off of a week where Blake Bortles looked like Aaron Rodgers, and we're one week removed from a backup Browns QB kind of looking decent against our defense as well.

All of this leads me to the conclusion that we'll bottle up Ben and AB and win the game in some fantastic late 4th quarter FG by Justin Tucker.

Archived