GDT 2017: Week 4 - Ravens vs. Steelers

coordinator0

@Mancunian Raven I agree with Williams being out affecting the pass rush in a big way. I think Carl Davis is a fine player, but in no way does he demand double teams like Williams does. And it's not like Brandon does force the issue himself. He was a monster in week one. When Williams is out it's a big loss in every facet. 

Still, with the remaining players you would think the Ravens could still be strong against the run. Michael Pierce is no joke and Davis is still good even though he's not getting doubled on a consistent basis. The wildcard here is the remaining defensive end spot now that Urban is out. For run defense Chris Wormley should get the nod, otherwise the pass-rush focus will be Willie Henry (inside rusher) or Bronson Kaufusi (edge rusher). All of them should be active so this will be something worth focusing on.

But regardless of the run defense if the pass-rush isn't working then the Ravens lose. Period. Pees' defense just does not work without pressure on the QB, and it has to be easy/simple pressure on the QB because he will not/can not scheme it. Hopefully the defensive line can keep the linebackers and edge rushers clean so they can get to Roethlisberger.

2 minutes ago, Danand said:

Another game, where the lack of offense gasses our defense - or something. We can't stop anything not named Browns or Dalton.

Then the excuse will be the defenses is gassed and that's why they were shredded, but as evidenced now even fresh they are getting torn apart by a fairly simple game plan to open up.

Just now, coordinator0 said:

Then the excuse will be the defenses is gassed and that's why they were shredded, but as evidenced now even fresh they are getting torn apart by a fairly simple game plan to open up.

The point I tried to make. I just read/heard so much the last week about how our offense was the reason we where torn apart by Bortles. Somehow all the "experts" failed to realize how much we gave up on defense for 4 drives.

Archived