GDT 2017: Week 4 - Ravens vs. Steelers

coordinator0

7 minutes ago, Mancunian Raven said:

I don't see what they can change. The O-line isn't going to get any better. Getting pushed around at Guard and overwhelmed at Tackle. 

Without a steady pocket, Joe is twitchy as hell, and isn't even looking at his receivers. But when he does, they're usually not open. Collins is the only sign of life, and he can't keep hold of the ball. It's bleak.

Joe hasn't exactly been on-target with open receivers or time in the pocket either. Limited opportunities to be sure, but it's just an all-around travesty.

10 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

Joe hasn't exactly been on-target with open receivers or time in the pocket either. Limited opportunities to be sure, but it's just an all-around travesty.

I don't see anyone making excuses for anyone. Flacco and skillplayers deserves a lot of blame. The oline is somewhat excused, because we basically only miss 1 starter. The reason it looks so bad is because of priorities and injuries. If Alex Lewis and Yanda bounce back next season, we might have 4 quality linemen, but we still need a right tackle.

If the excuse for the defense is, that they miss a player who plays 35-40 snaps a game, then I know where to put the blame, because that is all on the coaches then. 

i would like to hear from the OC and DC about their squads performances the last 2 weeks.

these muffins clearly are the main problem and should be held accountable for the performance of their players.  and don't give me the fair weather John Harbaugh bs it is time to adress the obvious issues these team has. and i don't care what the reasons for the non-performances are, i want to hear from the OC and DC how they plan to adjust and right the ship. your oline is decimated? fine, let me know what you are going to do Mornhinweg. How do you plan to stop the run and create some pressure on opposing qbs Pees?

i know they probably do not have anything remotely substantial to say so i would really like to see this team go 0-12 from here on out to get all of them "coaches" incl. JH out of town and  some new faces and minds in. i've seen too many 8-8 / middle of the pack seasons already and nothing changed.

17 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

I mean, listen to this.

http://m.baltimoreravens.com/videos/videos/John-Harbaugh-Lots-of-Changes-Arent-Coming-Team-Must-Simply-Improve/321008f9-4705-4bd8-9e9e-1ce393ac2892

They are not gonna make much changes blabla.

You know coach, continuity might actually be bad when IT DOES NOT WORK AND YOU KEEP GETTING BLOWN OUT.

sickening.

The bolded is pretty much where we stand right now.

We see the Bills, the Jets, The Rams just to name a few who perform better than what their roster indicates it should. Can we say the same for ours? I don't think so. In our injury riddled season in 2015, Pees basically lost Suggs for the season and Jimmy Smith for a couple of games, but that was it, and yet the defense struggled. It bothers me how we see other teams adjusting, and mostly we don't see the same. 

We are a very static team, and I doubt it is just because we are unable to see the changes. Filmstudy and others point out how bland our pass rush is (we rush 3-4 and hope they beat their guy - sometimes we rush a 5 man in levine/Webb). 

We saw in the first two games something which seemed like a well planned offense, were there where some balance and a variety of plays. But mostly it seems like we just run plays, which isn't really suited or schemed for the actual matchup.

I see John Harbaugh subscribes to the definition of insanity. This game was hard to watch. I, unlike most here, am not willing to sit here and say Brandon Williams is that valuable to this defense. I think there are many factors that led to the performance we saw, and I don't think having Brandon Williams there would've made that much of a difference. 

Brandon Williams can't seal the edge, which was the main problem in the run game ALL DAY LONG. Brandon Williams isn't gonna generate much of a pass rush for you, and that was also a problem.

IMO, if you want to look at why our defense has been failing recently, look at the OLB's. None of them are setting the edge and playing the run well, and none of them are generating any pass rush. AND WE HAVE FIVE OLB'S ACTIVE. How can not a single one of them get any sort of pass rush?!

6 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

I see John Harbaugh subscribes to the definition of insanity. This game was hard to watch. I, unlike most here, am not willing to sit here and say Brandon Williams is that valuable to this defense. I think there are many factors that led to the performance we saw, and I don't think having Brandon Williams there would've made that much of a difference. 

Brandon Williams can't seal the edge, which was the main problem in the run game ALL DAY LONG. Brandon Williams isn't gonna generate much of a pass rush for you, and that was also a problem.

IMO, if you want to look at why our defense has been failing recently, look at the OLB's. None of them are setting the edge and playing the run well, and none of them are generating any pass rush. AND WE HAVE FIVE OLB'S ACTIVE. How can not a single one of them get any sort of pass rush?!

I actually thought I saw Tim Williams getting some pressure. Bowser on the other hand seemed outmatched and bullied physically. 

8 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

I didn't see Bowser at all - he only played 8 snaps. 

Well this seems like he got benched. Any words on Judon? He was poised for his big breakout season, and he has been pretty quiet.

18 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

Eh, I'm not so sure about that.Williams is elite. I don't think there's any disputing that. Having an elite player on the field will make a difference... as long as that player is playing to his usual standards. And with Brandon starting at defensive end with Pierce in the middle this year he is important to setting the edge and/or taking up blocks on the edge so it's easier for the linebackers behind him to get to the edge. Same concept for him helping the pass-rush. His replacement, either Davis or Henry, isn't the same type of player. They have strengths in their own right but the differences between them and Williams are vast. Brandon does get a push every once in awhile for the pass-rush too but yeah it's not like you can rely on that. He's basically becoming Haloti Ngata from a few years back.

But I'm not going to disagree with the notion that Williams is make-or-break for the defense being able to function. That's ridiculous given the depth and talent still available along the defensive line even without him and Urban. One player, regardless of position, shouldn't be so singularly important if a unit is actually good. Not being able to successfully utilize the depth of talent on this roster is an obvious coaching failure but hey it's Dean Pees. If a player doesn't fit into his narrowly defined roles then they're useless and he's not making changes to emphasize their strengths.

maybe just maybe the FO / Bisciotti will realise that after several drafts invested in defense its probably Pees schemes rather than lack of talent/potential. but hey lets just continue as is, not to put JH out of his comfort zone with all his buddies or even question where he thinks he is going with his approach. 

To think somebody else could actually scheme according to the players strengths and believe this 2017 def squad should be top5 in the league seems out of the realm of Bisciotti/Newsome. 

23 hours ago, berlin calling said:

maybe just maybe the FO / Bisciotti will realise that after several drafts invested in defense its probably Pees schemes rather than lack of talent/potential. but hey lets just continue as is, not to put JH out of his comfort zone with all his buddies or even question where he thinks he is going with his approach. 

To think somebody else could actually scheme according to the players strengths and believe this 2017 def squad should be top5 in the league seems out of the realm of Bisciotti/Newsome. 

I'm still just blown away at the fact that every Sunday we're trotting 5 OLB's out there who all should be decent pass rushers, and we can't generate a decent pass rush to save our lives.

46 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

I'm still just blown away at the fact that every Sunday we're trotting 5 OLB's out there who all should be decent pass rushers, and we can't generate a decent pass rush to save our lives.

I mean it's not every Sunday, the pass-rush was really good the first two weeks. The past two... nah. A large part of that is how much Suggs is on the field too. He's not out there to get after the QB at this point, more for setting the edge against the run. But Pees likes that type of player on the field at all times so it limits how dynamic the pass-rush can be.

The team was lucky a few years ago when Suggs was rushing the passer and setting the edge like a beast with Dumervil on the other end, but then they had Upshaw, McClellan, and now old Suggs out there a majority of the time and it doesn't work. Like Dean's attempts to script a blitz with only one or maybe two real pass-rushers on the field. The down-lineman can't be relied on with this kind of scheme. They're out there more to take up blocks to keep the linebackers clean. Luckily Henry looks like he's going to be a pretty nice pass-rusher from the inside... but he's not in the best position to take advantage of that on a consistent basis. Ideally you would want him in a traditional UT role but the Ravens don't have that.

So it is what it is until Pees actually takes steps to get multiple quality pass-rushers on the field at the same time. In places they should be. Otherwise we're stuck on relying on one edge rusher most of the time, which can be easily negated. It's not like other teams don't know Terrell is done or Baltimore's linemen aren't a consistent threat getting after the QB. So come on Dean. More Tim Williams. More Tyus Bowser. More taking advantage of what they bring to the table as opposed to Smith's and Judon's power game. More using Smith and Judon all over the field as opposed to the same role all of the time. 

Archived