Patriots sign QB Cam Newton

Apparition

6 minutes ago, RabidPanther89 said:

Not a conspiracy, just blatantly obvious when you watch the game. He's head hunted multiple times and again in the rematch in 16. Cam has not been treated fairly by the league or the media. 

Even if any of that has a modicum of truth, it doesn’t change the fact that he didn’t make the effort to recover the ball. He didn’t even try and that says a lot. 

• Like 1

Figured this would eventually be his landing spot once the draft concluded and the game of Musical Chairs came to an end. Didn't think despite Covid19 it would take an extra 2-3 months? But expected TBH 

Typical Belicheck move. He collects former 1st/2nd rd picks in Hope's of striking lightning in a bottle while on the cheap. 

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

Reading this thread, I'm shocked at how many people think Jarrett Stidham should somehow start over a former league MVP and a guy who made Carolina competetive over the past decade. 

Seriously, people. Jarrett Stidham is not an NFL QB. 

As a fan, it has less to do with Stidham’s quality and more to do with the situation the Patriots are in.

If Stidham is as you say, then NE takes a hard fall in Year 1 without Brady, the Patriots get their draft pick in a potentially QB-laden draft, and then you go from there. If Stidham lights it up, that’s less of a concern. 

So now you bring in Cam. Personally, I think he’s going to have a problem staying healthy. I think his arm is questionable post-shoulder surgery and I have massive questions about his abilities as a consistent thrower - even when healthy. So with that draft in mind, why throw the eggs in that basket? If Cam lights it up, you have the issue of retaining a good QB (who has always been inconsistent as a player). If he fails, he’s probably not bad enough to tank you to a good pick the way that a failing-Stidham probably would.

So the middle ground for both would be: what if Stidham does decentish, leads you to a middling draft pick, but ultimately doesn’t inspire the Pats to commit to him? Belichick is decisive so I doubt he’d get hung up on it, but that’s not a scenario that’d help IMO. There’s more short term upside with Cam, but focusing on anything beyond 2020, I’d say Stidham leaves the Patriots better off - one way or another. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Even if any of that has a modicum of truth, it doesn’t change the fact that he didn’t make the effort to recover the ball. He didn’t even try and that says a lot. 

And if he tried and got injured in the process we'd be arguing that he shouldn't have done so.

35 minutes ago, RabidPanther89 said:

Nah it was one of the most biased games in recent memory. Multiple headshots on Cam Newton no call. Denver offsides on two missed Panther FG's, the egregious non call on the Cotchery catch. All of those impacted the game more than one play where Cam didn't dive on the ball that he wasn't going to recover anyway. The league wanted Cam to pay the price for his confidence and let Manning ride off into the sunset.

Aside from the very disputable opinions on the calls you have, there’s pretty much zero support on any sort of fix or bias. 

Occam’s razor. It’s far more likely the refs made bad calls than it is that they operated with a bias.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

And if he tried and got injured in the process we'd be arguing that he shouldn't have done so.

We argue about everything on here lol.  But I could live with my star QB getting hurt diving for a loose ball in the Super Bowl more than I could with him not even trying. 

• Like 2

Welcome to New England Cam!  Honestly I was worried about the position, something I have not done as a Patriots fan for 20 years with Tommy at the helm (nod to 2008).  Now I am all hopes and dreams again.  This is great news!  Go Pats!

Edited by Bourbon
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

Don’t let this distract you from the fact that the Pats were busted for filming sidelines again. Pretty brilliant timing by the Pats, their PR team is loving it.

That news broke way back in 2019. I know it feels like forever ago, it's hard to remember.