Patriots sign QB Cam Newton

Apparition

Interesting. Will be good to watch this unfold. Its not the season to be learning a new playbook, Stid and Hoyer will have the upper hand there and frankly nobody knows what Stid is yet. Its also interesting because Tom was very accurate obviously, while thats always been Cam's downfall. Have not seen the contract numbers yet, that might tell us what the plan/expectations of the team are. I would imagine its a team friendly prove it deal but I dont think hes starting week 1 unless Stid and Hoyer are disappointing or the Pats are tanking.

Edited by GordyTheGoffer

8 hours ago, RabidPanther89 said:

Funny how people bring this play up but they don't want to talk about the refs cheating the Panthers out of the game so Peyton could get his retirement trophy. 

I remember thinking while watching that Superbowl that it reminded me of Varsity Blues the hangover game where the lbers are launching and spearing Moxin in the head.  Brady can point and it's a 15 yr penalty.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I heard 1yr/$7.5mm with all incentives!?

Jeez, that's a freaking steal. If they get middle of the road Cam, the Patriots come out like bandits.

Presented without context, 2020 cap hits:

• Philip Rivers: $25MM
  • Ryan Tannehill: $22.5MM
  • Derek Carr: $21.5MM
  • A legally dead Alex Smith: $21.4MM
  • Jacoby Brissett: $21.375MM
  • Matthew Stafford: $21.3MM
  • Kirk Cousins: $21MM
  • Teddy Bridgewater: $14MM
  • Mitchell Trubisky: $9.3MM
  • Marcus Mariota: $9.1MM
  • Ryan Fitzpatrick: $8MM
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

His stats are not even as good as Andy Dalton.  

...you mean the year that Newton missed with a lisfranc injury?

Geez, I wonder why his stats wouldn't be as good.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Presented without context, 2020 cap hits:

• Philip Rivers: $25MM
  • Ryan Tannehill: $22.5MM
  • Derek Carr: $21.5MM
  • A legally dead Alex Smith: $21.4MM
  • Jacoby Brissett: $21.375MM
  • Matthew Stafford: $21.3MM
  • Kirk Cousins: $21MM
  • Teddy Bridgewater: $14MM
  • Mitchell Trubisky: $9.3MM
  • Marcus Mariota: $9.1MM
  • Ryan Fitzpatrick: $8MM

Yeah I really dont get Indy's panic move give dead arm Rivers $25mil

if its 7.5m with full incentives, thats a "compete deal", nothing more, nothing less. 3 headed QB competition going into training camp with both Hoyer and Stid way ahead on the playbook, better suited to the pocket passing game and having good health. Cam has a battle coming up.

Edited by GordyTheGoffer

5 minutes ago, ET80 said:

...you mean the year that Newton missed with a lisfranc injury?

Geez, I wonder why his stats wouldn't be as good.

And let's say he gets hurt Week 2, so it's a swing and a miss. No biggie. Just tank the rest of the season for Lawrence/Fields.

No lose situation for NE tbh. Cam is a boom or bust signing when you couldn't pick a better year to bust.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

And let's say he gets hurt Week 2, so it's a swing and a miss. No biggie. Just tank the rest of the season for Lawrence/Fields.

No lose situation for NE tbh. Cam is a boom or bust signing when you couldn't pick a better year to bust.

And if Cam blows up and looks back to form, you can tag him next season or negotiate a 2-3 year deal - really, that's the extent of the downside, you have a guy who can play at a very high level for a few years while another early 1st/2nd rounder is being groomed for the future.

Sure, it's not Lawrence/Fields. But, Easton Stick being groomed by Belly should worry a lot of folks.

• Like 2