Patriots sign QB Cam Newton

Apparition

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

And if Cam blows up and looks back to form, you can tag him next season or negotiate a 2-3 year deal - really, that's the extent of the downside, you have a guy who can play at a very high level for a few years while another early 1st/2nd rounder is being groomed for the future.

Sure, it's not Lawrence/Fields. But, Easton Stick being groomed by Belly should worry a lot of folks.

Yep and honestly the market for aging QBs is pretty reasonable. Historically, they've tended to sign shorter deals so as a team you aren't even all that concerned about the long term downside. Win as much as you can, and the worst case scenario is that you started back where you were before you sign Cam.

How hilarious is it that the average NFL fan can fanfic a better offseason for New England than half of real NFL teams end up having?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

How hilarious is it that the average NFL fan can fanfic a better offseason for New England than half of real NFL teams end up having?

I have a hard time reconciling Cam Newton at less than $10mm a season. That was the floor, IMO - to get lower than that, that's unexpected.

Hell, Sam Bradford got double that floor for those 80 pass attempts for Arizona... And this is Sam Bradford we're talking about, not a former NFL MVP who was having a resurgence in 2018 before his shoulder got hurt. Cam had two years to let that shoulder heal up, so it might be back to form...

Firstly, Its a great signing for NE given what they current have and what is available.

Secondly, I can't see this as anything but a fail for NE front office, waiting 4 months to get your starting QB, and lucking out that Cam says yes and was not signed away previously.

17 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

And let's say he gets hurt Week 2, so it's a swing and a miss. No biggie. Just tank the rest of the season for Lawrence/Fields.

No lose situation for NE tbh. Cam is a boom or bust signing when you couldn't pick a better year to bust.

Especially considering the context surrounding the season in general. This signing is a huge win. Yeah, you can make the argument later if he busts that the Pats wasted money. Honestly, though, there's not really anywhere else you'd put it this year. It's not like they were signing Clowney for 7 mil. 

12 hours ago, ET80 said:

Reading this thread, I'm shocked at how many people think Jarrett Stidham should somehow start over a former league MVP and a guy who made Carolina competetive over the past decade. 

Seriously, people. Jarrett Stidham is not an NFL QB. 

We'll see what happens in training camp between Stidham and Newton.

Let Them Fight GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

I love the deal based on the fact that it's a low risk, high upside signing at very little cost. My main concern is Cam's health (duh) and his weaponry. Sanu's coming off an injury, Edelman is getting up there, rookie tight ends, etc. Seems like they're putting a lot of eggs in the N'Keal Harry basket again, which is a little concerning. At least he's going to have a strong OL group with continuity. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

We'll see what happens in training camp between Stidham and Newton.

Let Them Fight GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

I could be overstating it - but I'm 99.999998% certain Newton will win the competition running away. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, JPPT1974 said:

BB is known for reviving careers of players and it would not be at all a surprise!

Like who? I can't think of anyone off the top of my head that was a really good player, struggled to play well, and then came to New England and became really good again. And I know Moss is the obvious choice here, but he was always good. He just didn't give a **** in Oakland. Same with Rodney Harrison and the Chargers or Corey Dillon and the Bengals. 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Forge said:

Really hard to say. But we are dealing with a division where Ryan Fitzpatrick could have at least put in a claim for that title and be taken seriously. 

If he can't run, I simply don't think he's an effective quarterback. He's never been a great passer, it's just been supplemented with his legs. 

I will answer this with results from different QBs the Pats used in the past. Matt Cassel, Jimmy G and Jacoby Brissett. The scheme they will use will play to CN strengths with or without running the ball. IMO Newton will  be just fine with the Pats as long as he healthy.

12 hours ago, winitall said:

I'm convinced that a lot of people watched Jarrett Stidham exclusively in November 2017 and have chosen to ignore every other game he has ever played besides one.

I'm convinced many people are short sighted when they bring up his past results and don't take into account other factors,  past and present when it comes to JS. I will give two examples Brian Hoyer and Matt Cassel. Both players had no shot making the NFL. Cassel never played a game in college and Hoyer was not drafted. How that turn out.

I love how people just dismissed what he did in a NFL preseason however they are are certain he has no chance based on what he did in college.  Lastly, Do you think Auburn worked on his skills for the next level or had the skill level to enhance JS. We will never know, but how would his college career been like if he played for the Tide his whole college career.

8 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

That news broke way back in 2019. I know it feels like forever ago, it's hard to remember. 

But their punishment was announced yesterday, which could be the first time it’s on the radar of a casual fan.

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy

Just now, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

But their punishment was announced today, which could be the first time it’s on the radar of a casual fan.

bahahahahahahaahahahahahaha yea right, that ish was everywhere when it broke. We are talking about the Patriots. ESPN was calling it Spygate 2.0 (which is absurd). It was getting blown out of the water. So again, I say to you, I know 2019 was a long time ago buuuuuuut