Patriots sign QB Cam Newton

Apparition

7 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Contextually, this move puts New England back on top of the AFCE, and puts them as the 3rd best team in the AFC, ahead of Houston/Tennessee. It's still Mahomes' world and Lamar Jackson is still a regular season monster, but New England is absolutely in the fight right now.

Yeah the context is what confused me is all. My b, B.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

with Olsen though, running QBs tend to love their TEs, look at Lamar

Correlation, not causation. Deshaun Watson focused on his WRs. Colin Kaepernick couldn't get Vernon Davis involved when he was running the 49ers offense. 

But, you're deviating from the point you tried to make - Cam elevated two replacement-level WRs, and actually got things going with a near 280lb Kelvin Benjamin. Not every QB can do that.

9 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

I dont think you can count the Jimmy G, Brisset 4 game sample

This is exactly the sample you need to look at - gameplans are created months in advance, and tailored from that point onward. In a perfect world, Garropolo was supposed to start that game v Houston, but he injured his shoulder and was a game time decision - so McDaniels had to create two different gameplans, one of which was to be used with a 3rd round pick rookie making their first career start - against JJ Watt, no less.

McDaniels managed to pitch a perfect game against that defense. That speaks volumes to how adaptable he is.

13 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

Look im not saying this cant work

Could have fooled me.

26 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

Colts

Phillip Rivers' arm is shot to hell, and Colts WRs are designed to get downfield (Hilton, Campbell) Michael Pittman is a rookie, so not expecting much as he transitions to the pro game. The OL is great, Mack/Taylor make up a nice run tandem, but that defense is still susceptible outside of Darius Leonard. They will compete, but they're still behind the Patriots.

Bills

Might be something there IF Josh Allen continues to progress, which isn't set in stone. The defense will keep them in games - which you can say for the Patriots as well (I mean, are we all forgetting that Stephon Gilmore was the best DB in football last season? We're forgetting that, it seems). Buffalo is probably the closest, but they're still sort of new to competing for playoff spots - experience in close situations are slanted to Belly and co.

Steelers

It's going to depend on how well a 38 year old QB recovers from a major injury, which I would imagine isn't going to go well. If it's Rudolph or Duck again, it's not happening.

Texans

I'm a Texans fan, so I'll flat out say no. The Texans had perhaps the worst off-season in this decade, and have the worst HC situation in the NFL. People forget this team was the 26th ranked defense, and nothing was done to improve that lineup. Deshaun Watson can only win so much on his own, let alone without his best WR.

All of teams you mentioned have major question marks - just like the Patriots. This being said, only the Patriots have a six time SB winning HC at the helm, a guy who has won big over the last two decades.

I'll put my money on him to take that 3 spot behind Baltimore and KC.

This isn't really directed at you @ET80, but it's interesting that people seem to forget every offseason that defensive performance varies significantly from year-to-year.  It's extremely hard for a top 5 defense to stay that way from one year to the next.  The Bears found that out last year.  

Here are the Patriots' Defensive DVOA Rankings over the past 5 seasons:

2015: 12th

2016: 16th

2017: 31st

2018: 16th

2019: 1st

They had the easiest schedule for a defense in 2019, per Football Outsiders.  I expect that defense to regress to a significant degree in 2020, and they won't have elite Brady anymore to pick up the slack.

• Like 2

Just now, Deadpulse said:

Not refuting anything else in your post, just this. It was assuredly the other way around in 2019

Yes, that was my point.  When the Pats defense was average or bad, they had elite Brady to still make them an elite team.  Unfortunately for them, their defense was elite last year and their QB was not.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

Phillip Rivers' arm is shot to hell, and Colts WRs are designed to get downfield (Hilton, Campbell) Michael Pittman is a rookie, so not expecting much as he transitions to the pro game. The OL is great, Mack/Taylor make up a nice run tandem, but that defense is still susceptible outside of Darius Leonard. They will compete, but they're still behind the Patriots.

Might be something there IF Josh Allen continues to progress, which isn't set in stone. The defense will keep them in games - which you can say for the Patriots as well (I mean, are we all forgetting that Stephon Gilmore was the best DB in football last season? We're forgetting that, it seems). Buffalo is probably the closest, but they're still sort of new to competing for playoff spots - experience in close situations are slanted to Belly and co.

It's going to depend on how well a 38 year old QB recovers from a major injury, which I would imagine isn't going to go well. If it's Rudolph or Duck again, it's not happening.

I'm a Texans fan, so I'll flat out say no. The Texans had perhaps the worst off-season in this decade, and have the worst HC situation in the NFL. People forget this team was the 26th ranked defense, and nothing was done to improve that lineup. Deshaun Watson can only win so much on his own, let alone without his best WR.

All of teams you mentioned have major question marks - just like the Patriots. This being said, only the Patriots have a six time SB winning HC at the helm, a guy who has won big over the last two decades.

I'll put my money on him to take that 3 spot behind Baltimore and KC.

Cam's legs/foot is shot to hell and hes never been an accurate qb

so basically same arguments can be made

yet, all those teams CLEARLY have more offensive talent than NE

7 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

yet, all those teams CLEARLY have more offensive talent than NE

And none of those teams have a coaching staff on par with Belicheck and his team of coordinators and assistants. Tomlin is probably the closest to compare. 

You can try to ignore this all you want, but facts don't go anywhere. In the actual chess match, Belicheck is proven - both with and without Brady. 

Just now, ET80 said:

And none of those teams have a coaching staff on par with Belicheck and his team of coordinators and assistants. Tomlin is probably the closest to compare. 

You can try to ignore this all you want, but facts don't go anywhere. In the actual chess match, Belicheck is proven - both with and without Brady. 

Have we really had enough of a sample size to determine this?! I don't see it. I think the next season will be the first time we can actually tell one way or the other.

Cam Newton's top WR in his MVP season was Ted Ginn Jr. I don't think the lack of established talent at WR would be what keeps him from succeeding in NE. 

It would be a huge boost if at least one of the TEs they drafted becomes a reliable option in the passing game. 
But the biggest question mark for him is whether or not he can still make plays with his legs. 

51 minutes ago, ET80 said:

so vague

ormgerd BB chess match SO superior to anyone blah blah blah

guess we are gona find out this year

but just let me remind you that great QBs make coaches stick around not the other way around

im betting the pats dont win more than 9 games at the very most 

Edited by BucsDraftGeek47