Patriots sign QB Cam Newton

Apparition

10 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Reading this thread, I'm shocked at how many people think Jarrett Stidham should somehow start over a former league MVP and a guy who made Carolina competetive over the past decade. 

Seriously, people. Jarrett Stidham is not an NFL QB. 

I'm convinced that a lot of people watched Jarrett Stidham exclusively in November 2017 and have chosen to ignore every other game he has ever played besides one.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Meanwhile Nick Foles out here signing 90 million dollar contracts based off something he did before Newton quote "fell off"

It's cause he's got you know what. 

"Swagger"

24 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Reading this thread, I'm shocked at how many people think Jarrett Stidham should somehow start over a former league MVP and a guy who made Carolina competetive over the past decade. 

Seriously, people. Jarrett Stidham is not an NFL QB. 

You can't fight stupid. 

19 minutes ago, Blackstar12 said:

If they really wanted him they would have signed him a long time ago. The shoulder wasn’t the only injury he had last season. The timing of this signing is weird. There’s no guarantee he’ll be the starter.

It's the end of a stalemate on money so he can get ready for training camp. There are dozens of factors here but I'd bet money and seeing him workout because of Covid were the big ones.

Why would New England sign him if not to be the starter? Bellicheck doesn't sign people he doesn't expect to contribute. 

17 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Patriots are fairly against the cap. I imagine the timing is mostly due to Cam wanted more than a prove it deal, money that wasnt incentive laden, the COVID-19 uncertainty (him working out for them, proving his health, and future cap implications), all had a part to play.  

dis

4 minutes ago, Malik said:

I don't get people worrying about him learning Brady's system. If Belichek teams have shown anything is that they'll rearrange their systems to fit the best players on their team.

the best example is Josh McDaniels and Tim Tebow 

3 minutes ago, Malik said:

I don't get people worrying about him learning Brady's system. If Belichek teams have shown anything is that they'll rearrange their systems to fit the best players on their team.

Building an offense around Stephon Gilmore.... Belichick you maniac!

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Honest question here. Is he the best QB in the division?

Really hard to say. But we are dealing with a division where Ryan Fitzpatrick could have at least put in a claim for that title and be taken seriously. 

If he can't run, I simply don't think he's an effective quarterback. He's never been a great passer, it's just been supplemented with his legs. 

Just now, wackywabbit said:

Damn, good move for them. Cam makes them a threat. I was not worried about the Pats in the AFC with Stidham, but Cam's talent is a gamechanger.

If he's healthy and able to be Cam. That is a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge if. Hes 31 and he's just taken so much of a beating over the course of his career that I don't know if the hits haven't just sapped his game away from him. 

I'm intrigued by the signing, but it wouldn't necessarily make me fear the Patriots a whole ton at this juncture. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

If he's healthy and able to be Cam. That is a huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge if. Hes 31 and he's just taken so much of a beating over the course of his career that I don't know if the hits haven't just sapped his game away from him. 

I'm intrigued by the signing, but it wouldn't necessarily make me fear the Patriots a whole ton at this juncture. 

I'll put it this way. For my estimation, Cam being healthy enough to be a threat is FAR less of an "if" than "if" Jared Stidham in 2020 is good enough to carry the offensive roster around him to anywhere near league average.

58 minutes ago, winitall said:

I'm convinced that a lot of people watched Jarrett Stidham exclusively in November 2017 and have chosen to ignore every other game he has ever played besides one.

To be fair, that's what a lot of people do about Cam Newton

Edit: Although he was obviously far more successful in the select years most look at

Edited by JTagg7754