Patriots sign Cam Newton

Apparition

12 hours ago, The Third Rider said:

I am very excited to see how this offense evolves this season. I think this signing is nothing but upside for us and finally having a mobile QB will open up the playbook. I am just worried of how fast Cam can digest the Pats playbook and if he will fit into our culture.

Apparently he's smart...

But I'd imagine we incorporate a lot of what he can do into our playbook, no? 

Anyone watch him play the last two seasons? I think we need to be concerned about whether or not he can stay on the field before anything else.

With that said, I have some faith in Belichick/McDaniels ability to coach up Cam and keep him "safe."

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Nex_Gen said:

Anyone watch him play the last two seasons? I think we need to be concerned about whether or not he can stay on the field before anything else.

With that said, I have some faith in Belichick/McDaniels ability to coach up Cam and keep him "safe."

First half of 2018 he looked back to his best. If we get THAT Cam - and why wouldn't we, if he's healthy - then it's a steal. It's impossible to tell, but if you look at his training videos, he's launching balls, he's doing one-armed press ups off that shoulder, he's swinging weights around, jumping off the foot etc. Can't compare to real football of course, but he says he's fine.

18 hours ago, Starless said:

After listening to Brady's focus group-tested PR-friendly bull**** the last 20 years, this is really refreshing.

...considering the way BB and all the other Patriots players answer questions, and what happened to guys like Welker when they went off-script, you have to think the PR friendly BS was an organizational thing.

Surprising. My take is that this was always the plan, but the tight cap meant they had to wait for Cam to realise he wasn't going to get a better offer.

Cam or Brady, the issues remain the same - poor OL, poor TEs, poor WRs, little run game. If Cam is fit enough to move he can boost the run game by being even a purely hypothetical threat with his legs, but the WR play is going to be an issue. On reputation alone, just for giving defensive coordinators something to think about, the team has got better. Whether that makes the offense actually good is another question.

Going to be interesting to watch McDaniels try and make something new out of these pieces.

2 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

...considering the way BB and all the other Patriots players answer questions, and what happened to guys like Welker when they went off-script, you have to think the PR friendly BS was an organizational thing.

Welker was punished for doing a specific thing to antagonize the opposing head coach. Plenty of other players have shown that they could have a real personality without getting on Belichick's bad side. Brady just seems to run everything he says past a team of lawyers and publicists, which became grating after a while. 

19 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

Surprising. My take is that this was always the plan, but the tight cap meant they had to wait for Cam to realise he wasn't going to get a better offer.

Cam or Brady, the issues remain the same - poor OL, poor TEs, poor WRs, little run game. If Cam is fit enough to move he can boost the run game by being even a purely hypothetical threat with his legs, but the WR play is going to be an issue. On reputation alone, just for giving defensive coordinators something to think about, the team has got better. Whether that makes the offense actually good is another question.

Going to be interesting to watch McDaniels try and make something new out of these pieces.

OL should be a bit different with a returning Wynn and Andrews. Let's hope Cannon and Mason return to form. Lack of Scar hurts, but in theory, it should be a better OL this season. Poor TEs; I'm waiting to see Asiasi, he looks like a good allround TE. Poor WR - yeah, it is a weak corps league-wise. 

It's all what-if when it comes to health. IF Cam is fit and playing like 2018 when he was last healthy, then it opens everything back up. We can have designed QB run plays, RPO, WRs will get more room, run game benefits, he can get out of bad situations that TB couldn't and extend plays etc.

It will be interesting, yep!