Patriots sign Cam Newton

Apparition

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/06/29/cam-newton-new-england-patriots-team-doctors-covid?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=themmqb

Newton’s last full-time coordinator in Charlotte, Norv Turner, was asked by a friend where Cam would land, and Turner matter-of-factly answered, “Oh, he’s going to New England.” The ex-Panther play-caller didn’t actually know that was about to happen. But he figured it sure could.

Especially since he was one of the coaches Belichick called for a reference on Newton, with Turner offering a strong recommendation to the New England coach a couple months back.

Side note, Stephen A (so a MASSIVE grain of salt), claims they were weighing Kap as well as Cam but decided to go with Newton. 

On 6/29/2020 at 11:13 AM, jofos said:

If that's the case this could be a case of if you have two QBs you have none.

When has that really ever been a thing? Pats held onto Jimmy for a bit. Eagles had their success with Wentz and Foles. Kaepernick backed up Smith successfully. Rodgers sat behind Favre. Broncos won a championship off the back of two QBs. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

When has that really ever been a thing? Pats held onto Jimmy for a bit. Eagles had their success with Wentz and Foles. Kaepernick backed up Smith successfully. Rodgers sat behind Favre. Broncos won a championship off the back of two QBs. 

I dont disagree with you, but there are also plenty of examples of coaches pulling their preferred starter for guys the fans clamor for after pressure from ownership. QB controversies exist. 

1 minute ago, Deadpulse said:

I dont disagree with you, but there are also plenty of examples of coaches pulling their preferred starter for guys the fans clamor for after pressure from ownership. QB controversies exist. 

Yeah but QB controversies are different than “two is none” saying, right? If you’re pulling your preferred starter, it’s because he’s not playing quite well enough to outright keep the starting gig. 

Though to be fair, Cam/Stidham aren’t really a “two is none” scenario either. There are too many question marks regarding both. 

17 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

It's a thing in a rushed year where neither QB can be in the building until training camp and there are only so many reps to go around. My point is that a true QB competition that last more than a few days means that whoever wins will likely still be behind week one. 

Also Jimmy G was actually battling for Brady's job and Foles would have never played if Wentz doesn't get hurt. All the guys you mention were taking number second team reps.

Edited by jofos

10 minutes ago, jofos said:

It's a thing in a rushed year where neither QB can be in the building until training camp and there are only so many reps to go around. My point is that a true QB competition that last more than a few days means that whoever wins will likely still be behind week one. 

And the same holds true for Teddy Bridgewater. Or Joe Burrow. Or Tua. Or Herbert. Or Rivers. Or Brady. Or Foles. It’s not ideal for anyone. 

Also Jimmy G was actually battling for Brady's job and Foles would have never played if Wentz doesn't get hurt. All the guys you mention were taking number second team reps.

Jimmy was never competing with Tom. And yes, Foles wouldn’t have played. But they’re all examples of having two QBs isn’t a bad thing. The Eagles wouldn’t have won their only championship in franchise history without a second guy. 

7 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

And the same holds true for Teddy Bridgewater. Or Joe Burrow. Or Tua. Or Herbert. Or Rivers. Or Brady. Or Foles. It’s not ideal for anyone. 

Jimmy was never competing with Tom. And yes, Foles wouldn’t have played. But they’re all examples of having two QBs isn’t a bad thing. The Eagles wouldn’t have won their only championship in franchise history without a second guy. 

Bridgewater, Burrow, Rivers, and Brady will not be splitting first team reps with anyone. Tua and Herbet will likely not be week one starters nor are their teams expected to contend. Foles will be in a similar situation.

I'm not saying having two QBs is a bad thing. My post was in response to a post saying that Newton signing had nothing to do with what the Patriots think of Stidham. What I am saying is that splitting first team reps is a bad thing. The reason that QBs and WR are working together in the offseason is to build chemistry. This year has be harder than most to do that. So if Newton and Stidham split reps then it will be hard to be ready for week one.

5 minutes ago, jofos said:

Bridgewater, Burrow, Rivers, and Brady will not be splitting first team reps with anyone. Tua and Herbet will likely not be week one starters nor are their teams expected to contend. Foles will be in a similar situation.

You said they’ll be behind because players won’t be in the building till camp. They’re all behind the 8-ball in that regard too. 

5 minutes ago, jofos said:

I'm not saying having two QBs is a bad thing. My post was in response to a post saying that Newton signing had nothing to do with what the Patriots think of Stidham. What I am saying is that splitting first team reps is a bad thing. The reason that QBs and WR are working together in the offseason is to build chemistry. This year has be harder than most to do that. So if Newton and Stidham split reps then it will be hard to be ready for week one.

It’s not ideal for chemistry, true.

I’ll say one thing to possibly ease your mind, chemistry isn’t everything. For Brady it was a big thing, a really big thing. Trust, precision, brain share. There’s zero chance Stidham will be at level this early, and I’m not sure Cam has ever been that type of player either. Hopefully the receivers step up enough where they can work with anyone that can get them the ball.

14 hours ago, Starless said:

Cam Newton's numbers in 2 games against New England:

41/57, 525 yards, 6 TD, 1 INT
15 rushes, 106 yards, 1 TD

This is why Belichick made this signing. He's always coveted players who cause problems for his own teams. 

He ruined us.