Patriots fined and docked draft pick for sideline filming incident

SilverNBlackFan

6 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I guess you could argue that the fine takes out some amount of the total money that would have, at one point or another, gone to the players collectively, but that's a pretty abstract con for too many players to be concerned.

You are also saving the Owner money. So again, it doesnt really hurt them and if you are not touching the cap to the point it would take money out of players pockets, then you really arent hurting the team much at all. Sure, most players wont be affected, but the NFLPA isnt looking out for most players. They are looking out for all players, especially those who need it like end of roster guys. This idea almost assuredly puts a few of them on the street, taking 1 or 2 more jobs away from NFL players. 

15 hours ago, PatriotsWin! said:

Guess I shouldn't be surprised this same NFL committee is still trying to get the Pats. Hopefully they don't consider the Pats signing Cam Newton 'cheating' and dock us another pick lol. Lame.

9_9 You're lucky to even still have a team at this point. If this were any other league, you'd be given the death penalty by now.

12 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

You are also saving the Owner money. So again, it doesnt really hurt them and if you are not touching the cap to the point it would take money out of players pockets, then you really arent hurting the team much at all. Sure, most players wont be affected, but the NFLPA isnt looking out for most players. They are looking out for all players, especially those who need it like end of roster guys. This idea almost assuredly puts a few of them on the street, taking 1 or 2 more jobs away from NFL players. 

How are you saving the owner money?

17 minutes ago, Daniel said:

How are you saving the owner money?

You are literally limiting how much money they are allowed to spend on players... That is what the cap is. Lower cap, less money the owner is spending. How are you not saving them money?

4 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

You are literally limiting how much money they are allowed to spend on players... That is what the cap is. Lower cap, less money the owner is spending. How are you not saving them money?

Because the proposal is that the fine, which they pay, counts against the cap.  They're paying the same amount of money, it's just a fine instead of money you pay to players.

And there are tons of options to set off the whole smaller pool of money thing.  The fine could be divided up and added to the caps of non-offending teams, it could be paid to the player's union, etc.  Lots of options.

4 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Because the proposal is that the fine, which they pay, counts against the cap.  They're paying the same amount of money, it's just a fine instead of money you pay to players.

And there are tons of options to set off the whole smaller pool of money thing.  The fine could be divided up and added to the caps of non-offending teams, it could be paid to the player's union, etc.  Lots of options.

You'd have to redraft the CBA for to reallocate fines. It is already set where it goes:

The fines collected do not go to the NFL, but instead are donated through the NFL Foundation to assist Legends in need. (Programs are mutually agreed upon by the NFL and NFLPA in the CBA.) Since 2009, about $4 million a year has been used to assist former players.

So as of now fine dollars go to assist former players. If this were to be implemented now you'd be taking from active players and moving it to former. 

Let me be clear, I am not outright against this. However, it can't negatively effect players in ANY way IMO. Even if funds in the new CBA gets allocated to other teams (which Owners would NEVER agree to, so get that out of your head), that still leaves more guys cut to fit the cap left to find jobs in a crowded market at cut down time.

5 hours ago, JTagg7754 said:

Seems to me that maybe the NFL doesn't think this is a very big deal like I've suggested (no, not a Pats fan). Seems like a "we've got to punish them for publicity to avoid backlash" punishment. If you believe differently that's fine though, obviously it's just an opinionI. If you think the NFL just loves and favors the Patriots, there's a group of other conspiracy theorists who would enjoy your company ie Raiders fans thinking the NFL is out to get them and has been for over 50 years and also the one guy who thinks the NFL purposely wanted the Panthers to lose their SB game lol. I'm sure there's many, many more also

This pretty much where I fell on this the whole time. If the league thought it was more egregious than the Pats story the Pats would have been destroyed with penalties because of Spygate. But they basically technically broke a rule due to staff being stupid and all the owners saw the tape and the reports are nothing of value was on it, however because of past history and fan outcry they couldn’t let it slide. 

Which is fine. I think this was egregious negligence on their part and they deserved to get told off based on their history. 

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

You'd have to redraft the CBA for to reallocate fines. It is already set where it goes:

So as of now fine dollars go to assist former players. If this were to be implemented now you'd be taking from active players and moving it to former. 

Let me be clear, I am not outright against this. However, it can't negatively effect players in ANY way IMO. Even if funds in the new CBA gets allocated to other teams (which Owners would NEVER agree to, so get that out of your head), that still leaves more guys cut to fit the cap left to find jobs in a crowded market at cut down time.

Eh, minor kinks that could easily be worked out.

And you wouldn't need to redraft the entire CBA, you can amend it in writing if both parties are on board with the amendment.

22 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Eh, minor kinks that could easily be worked out.

And you wouldn't need to redraft the entire CBA, you can amend it in writing if both parties are on board with the amendment.

has that ever happened? I am honestly asking 

14 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

has that ever happened? I am honestly asking 

I don't think so, but unless NY has really, really weird contract laws, that's pretty much universal.

That said, I am only licensed in Tennessee, so someone licensed in NY would know better for sure.

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

I don't think so, but unless NY has really, really weird contract laws, that's pretty much universal.

That said, I am only licensed in Tennessee, so someone licensed in NY would know better for sure.

Not sure this is the thing to set that precedent of amending the CBA IMO. When is this one up anyway?

10 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Not sure this is the thing to set that precedent of amending the CBA IMO. When is this one up anyway?

I'm not talking about precedent, I'm just talking about the fact that they could do it if they wanted.