Patriots punished for filming again

On 6/28/2020 at 7:33 PM, Deadpulse said:

Some random dude on their TV staff made a mistake and they got a slap on the wrist so the league could save face. 

While I generally do believe this was an "honest" mistake, I think you'd have to agree that the Patriots history is against them on this one.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

While I generally do believe this was an "honest" mistake, I think you'd have to agree that the Patriots history is against them on this one.

I do. I think if the Patriots didn't have history, the punishment would have been behind closed doors and much less than even this. 

1 minute ago, Deadpulse said:

I do. I think if the Patriots didn't have history, the punishment would have been behind closed doors and much less than even this. 

We probably would have seen a Day 3 pick taken away, not a Day 2 pick IMO.  Maybe something like a 5th?  The Falcons were docked a 5th round pick for their noise violation, so there's a bit of a precedent there.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

We probably would have seen a Day 3 pick taken away, not a Day 2 pick IMO.  Maybe something like a 5th?  The Falcons were docked a 5th round pick for their noise violation, so there's a bit of a precedent there.

If not for history it would be a fine at most if anything 

The 'we have history' excuse is so unfair. Yes, spygate was against the rules and some punishment for that was deserved but every 'violation' since that has been complete manufactured b.s. We get punishment over crap no one else gets punished for and then use the 'b/c history' justification... then these new non-violations get used as justification for punishments due to other non-violations b/c we apparently don't deserve the benefit of the doubt.. it's a terrible positive feedback loop. It was spygate, that's it, there isn't this prolonged history of cheating so many keep alluding to.

• Like 1

Even with spygate the Patriots were treated different. The Jets were doing the same thing the week before and were just told to stop, next week Jets visit the Patriots they say look you told us to stop last week but the Patriots are still doing it. Patriots become public enemy number one. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, PatriotsWin! said:

The 'we have history' excuse is so unfair. Yes, spygate was against the rules and some punishment for that was deserved but every 'violation' since that has been complete manufactured b.s. We get punishment over crap no one else gets punished for and then use the 'b/c history' justification... then these new non-violations get used as justification for punishments due to other non-violations b/c we apparently don't deserve the benefit of the doubt.. it's a terrible positive feedback loop. It was spygate, that's it, there isn't this prolonged history of cheating so many keep alluding to.

The league are obsessed with parity and we are toxic to that. Also, if people haven't learned by now not to piss NE off then....they never will :D 

what gets what gets me that all these fines the punishments are just random or not at all for other teams. The one that drives me crazy was when the Jets re-signed Darrell Revis they have on tape discussing it while he was still on the Patriots roster. Charged penalty nothing give me a freaking break

10 hours ago, m haynes said:

what gets what gets me that all these fines the punishments are just random or not at all for other teams. The one that drives me crazy was when the Jets re-signed Darrell Revis they have on tape discussing it while he was still on the Patriots roster. Charged penalty nothing give me a freaking break

I look at it as a trade-off. When you're the most successful franchise and keep winning despite the odds - people don't like it. I DO expect a commissioner to be more bipartisan and have a bit of integrity and not succumb to pressure to hand out punishments like a pic-a-mix (the Rice incident proves he's guessing when he dishes out justice), but I guess it's directly linked to our success. We have a huge target on our heads. 

If the Bengals or the Jets did something similar, there wouldn't be much pressure to guillotine the franchise like there is with us. 

I mean...deflategate....that sh is literally kindergarten science experiment. How that didn't just get laughed out the court room is beyond me. No reading of the balls with a gauge beforehand, lost the balls, texts proving TB likes the balls at the lower end of the LEGAL range, NFL ruling that 1 gauge reading takes precedence over the other just because it was a lower reading, the fact that air pressure is expected to change through different environments, the fact that IND's balls were on the lower end too......unreal. But anyway, I'll take the success and the whinging :D 

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 1