Should Bill Belichick be banned from football?

$andtrap

Just now, ET80 said:

As long as we can agree to this, I'm good. It bothers me (as an admitted Astros homer) that people are glossing over all of the evidence that implicates nearly everyone else - going as far as supressing evidence of the Yankees sign stealing system by having a court seal documents.

Baseball found their whipping boy.

Will You Understand Me GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 40Year Pack Fan said:

Stealing signs in itself is not deemed outside the rules of baseball....The means of collecting and disseminating them is...

Can we say with certainty that the systems enployed by others wasn't as in depth? Based on the Yankees/Red Sox issues in 2017, I'd wager that it's as damaging for others.

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

As long as we can agree to this, I'm good. It bothers me (as an admitted Astros homer) that people are glossing over all of the evidence that implicates nearly everyone else - going as far as supressing evidence of the Yankees sign stealing system by having a court seal documents.

Baseball found their whipping boy.

Thats EXACTLY it. Who are the Astros in the grand scheme of things? They're not the Yankees, Red Sox, or Cubs, 3 historic MLB teams. The same concept can be applied to Bellichick. He is in many ppls eyes the best coach in NFL History. He isnt going out on someone else's terms

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

Thats EXACTLY it. Who are the Astros in the grand scheme of things? They're not the Yankees, Red Sox, or Cubs, 3 historic MLB teams. The same concept can be applied to Bellichick. He is in many ppls eyes the best coach in NFL History. He isnt going out on someone else's terms

And do you think he'll ever admit to anything?....Like Rose, I'm sure he'll deny (or just not answer) things until push comes to shove....

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

The dumbest thread I’ve seen go 10+ pages. 

So much salt. And I don’t like the Patriots at all. But to ban their coach for “cheating” is ridiculous. All teams do, or should be doing, some underhanded stuff. 

Not to the level that he has, though. 

And, that's a fact. 

• Like 1

On 6/29/2020 at 1:43 PM, DannyB said:

Gambling on sports that you are playing, coaching, or have some sort of hand in the outcome of, is THE ultimate mortal sin in the sporting world. Nothing else touches it. Nothing else can so decisively annihilate the integrity of a sport than the possibility that one of the teams, or somebody on one of the teams, may deliberately trying to lose games. The house of cards would come crumbling down fast.

I agree betting on yourself to lose is awful but is betting on winning(no spread or any points etc involved) isnt a big deal right? Like idc if a fighter bets on himself to win but they shouldn’t bet on a specific round

58 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I agree betting on yourself to lose is awful but is betting on winning(no spread or any points etc involved) isnt a big deal right? Like idc if a fighter bets on himself to win but they shouldn’t bet on a specific round

Nope. Gets dangerous. Could make you make decisions myopically, only to win that single game in front of you rather than considering the big picture of the season. It throws off the integrity of the game.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DannyB said:

Nope. Gets dangerous. Could make you make decisions myopically, only to win that single game in front of you rather than considering the big picture of the season. It throws off the integrity of the game.

I suppose thats possible where you put yourself in a dangerous situation that otherwise you might think twice about...interesting take. Never thought of that

16 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I suppose thats possible where you put yourself in a dangerous situation that otherwise you might think twice about...interesting take. Never thought of that

Yep. For example, I know it's a different sport, but in baseball, the problem with a manager betting on his team, even if it's only to win, is that he may make pitching/bullpen decisions in the games prior to the one he's betting on that he wouldn't make otherwise. Or, he may manage the bullpen different during the game he's betting on than he would otherwise.

On 7/8/2020 at 9:26 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

And as for deflategate (how *** funny does that sound, by the way? It's like a parody of itself), it's been largely debunked;

21 scientists refute 'deflategate'

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/21-scientists-say-tom-brady-is-right-and-the-nfl-is-wrong_n_5745fb9ce4b0dacf7ad3c55d?ri18n=true&guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAADtIJmBpCUSt7qmiz_mnjzTsugb31svZQ8Ow-bBnoY8DoONoQXjuKBiePvOuUf6FveVU6f_770HKXJOZ-3_7vlB11olNglWcEu0nnh3-UxCD8QgDToOILH1MOGNEjEUKpIS-KgmmH1-1qqN1M437k3T9GttU1mNkkqRWAQs3nWbH

"the science says he's not guilty"

https://www.si.com/nfl/2016/10/04/tom-brady-deflategate-ideal-gas-law

"If an M.I.T. undergraduate made the kinds of mistakes that Exponent made, “I would force them to repeat the experiment and correct the analysis.” Based on his study of the data, Leonard now says: “I am convinced that no deflation occurred and that the Patriots are innocent. It never happened.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/23/sports/football/nfl-ignores-ball-deflation-science-at-new-england-patriots-expense.html

etc etc

But I understand facts and science can be translated to 'fake news' or 'your opinion' for a lot of people, so I'll just dump and run. It IS hilarious though....

Not only that, but 3 of the 4 Colts' balls they measured at halftime were below the 12.5 psi minimum on one of the gauges (all of the Patriots' ball were), see here: https://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/investigative-and-expert-reports-re-footballs-used-during-afc-championsh.pdf#page=12 . No investigation into the Colts.

In addition, the balls were measured using two gauges, but the refs didn't know which gauge created which numbers for the measurements they did at the beginning of the game, which could have easily led to the differences between those measurements and the measurements at halftime being straight up incorrect. It was shoddy evidence all along and, in the end, the case and punishment became about the power that Goodell can wield as commissioner, and nothing about whether footballs were actually intentionally deflated.

It doesn't matter, though. People just believe what they want to believe.

• Like 1