Should Bill Belichick be banned from football?

$andtrap

On 6/30/2020 at 10:49 AM, ET80 said:

You understand that HoF HC Jimmy Johnson did the same thing during his tenure in Dallas, right?

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/cowboys/2015/09/12/troy-aikman-jimmy-johnson-filmed-signals-as-head-coach-of-the-dallas-cowboys/

Or how about Chuck Noll and Bill Cowher, for letting a steroids culture take over Pittsburgh, on their way to five SBs?

https://yourteamcheats.com/PIT

Or Jerry Rice - the greatest receiver of all time - and his admission to using Stickum, a banned substance?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2356830-jerry-rice-admits-to-using-illegal-stickum-on-gloves-during-career

So, that's the 70s Steelers, 80s 49ers and 90s Cowboys. Each "dynasty" was aided in some capacity, no different than the '00/'10 Patriots. 

So if we're vacating HoF spots for this, get your U Haul ready - there are a lot of things that need to be removed from Canton.

I just want to point out something here with the Steelers (correct me if I'm wrong). Steroids were not a banned substance or illegal until the 80's. I don't know that there was a significant steroid abuse aside from the 70's Steelers.

On 2020-06-29 at 10:29 AM, ET80 said:

But there's nothing illegal about that. Unethical, sure. 

if that isn't a BB t-shirt quote; I don't know what is

the rules book is 10% thicker solely on his antics

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ryan_W said:

if that isn't a BB t-shirt quote; I don't know what is

the rules book is 10% thicker solely on his antics

I'm not denying that, but it's not reason to ignore what he's done or hold him out of the Hall of Fame...

On 6/30/2020 at 10:49 AM, ET80 said:

You understand that HoF HC Jimmy Johnson did the same thing during his tenure in Dallas, right?

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/cowboys/2015/09/12/troy-aikman-jimmy-johnson-filmed-signals-as-head-coach-of-the-dallas-cowboys/

In the interest of precision and clarity: The Patriots weren't popped specifically for filming the other team's sideline. That in and of itself is not illegal. The rule they broke was WHERE the camera operator was as they filmed the opponent's sideline. An infraction that teams consistently noticed over the years, complained to the league office, and the league office warned them over and over to stop.

It may be that JJ wasn't filming from the prohibited areas.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, skywlker32 said:

I just want to point out something here with the Steelers (correct me if I'm wrong). Steroids were not a banned substance or illegal until the 80's. I don't know that there was a significant steroid abuse aside from the 70's Steelers.

Bro I would be shocked if 75%+ arent taking some form of PED even to today

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, DannyB said:

In the interest of precision and clarity: The Patriots weren't popped specifically for filming the other team's sideline. That in and of itself is not illegal. The rule they broke was WHERE the camera operator was as they filmed the opponent's sideline. An infraction that teams consistently noticed over the years, complained to the league office, and the league office warned them over and over to stop.

It may be that JJ wasn't filming from the prohibited areas.

also  he filmed other teams practices right?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Yes. I don't know if there's like, an official record, but the word around the league was that it was pretty well known, and thus why the league sent them a memo saying "uh, please stop".

45 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Nope. That was a story that was later retracted by the person who wrote it, every one who has said it since was forced to retract it and an NFL investigation deemed it untrue.

It stems from the fact that because 9/11 delayed the season the SB didn’t have the extra week break so teams were extra condensed for practice time at the field or whatever facility was being used and some Pats personnel were at the stadium at one point setting up. 

So unless the NFL and media was protecting the Pats for literally no reason....

44 minutes ago, DannyB said:

Yes. I don't know if there's like, an official record, but the word around the league was that it was pretty well known, and thus why the league sent them a memo saying "uh, please stop".

Nope again. I don’t know why people on this sub speculate on documented matters. The memo was in regards to filming from an undesignated spot. It was only ever about filming from an undesignated spot. It was largely an unenforced rule that many teams took part in. Goodell became the new Commissioner in 2006 (when the memo came out) and he wanted to tighten up the rules. Hence the memo. Belichick was being a **** and decided he didn’t care. 

Spygate was really a 2006-the first week of 2007 thing. So it was always kinda funny when Eagles, Panthers, Rams, and Colts fans complain about something that was going on league wide that wasn’t being penalized at the time. 

Just now, lancerman said:

Nope again. I don’t know why people on this sub speculate on documented matters. The memo was in regards to filming from an undesignated spot. It was only ever about filming from an undesignated spot. It was largely an unenforced rule that many teams took part in. Goodell became the new Commissioner in 2006 (when the memo came out) and he wanted to tighten up the rules. Hence the memo. Belichick was being a **** and decided he didn’t care. 

Spygate was really a 2006-the first week of 2007 thing. So it was always kinda funny when Eagles, Panthers, Rams, and Colts fans complain about something that was going on league wide that wasn’t being penalized at the time. 

Yes, filming from an area that was prohibited. That's what I said.

Just now, DannyB said:

Yes, filming from an area that was prohibited. That's what I said.

You were responding to someone who asked about filming practices. Spygate was about game film an undesignated spot on the field. Not practices. 

That’s the funniest thing about a Spygate. Even if you took it to be a super egregious advantage (which discounts that filming is legal from certain spots), it’s really only actionable if an NFC doesn’t change its signals every 4 years, almost AFC teams don’t every 3 years, and only the Jets, Dolphins, and Bills would be at risk of it being used against them that season. 

10 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Nope. That was a story that was later retracted by the person who wrote it, every one who has said it since was forced to retract it and an NFL investigation deemed it untrue.

It stems from the fact that because 9/11 delayed the season the SB didn’t have the extra week break so teams were extra condensed for practice time at the field or whatever facility was being used and some Pats personnel were at the stadium at one point setting up. 

So unless the NFL and media was protecting the Pats for literally no reason....

well I think NFL investigations are the most ridiculous and horribly mismanaged thing in the league. So it would not shock me at all for them to turn a blind eye.

Not saying they did. Just that they are that incompetent. 

6 hours ago, $andtrap said:

NE's owes most of their success to cheating and favortism from the referees. Brady and Belichick were never that good.

You sure got your head in the sand.  You might hate them and I can get on with that notion, but you got to respect their skill.

11 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

well I think NFL investigations are the most ridiculous and horribly mismanaged thing in the league. So it would not shock me at all for them to turn a blind eye.

Not saying they did. Just that they are that incompetent. 

My problem is that there’s no constancy. Fans like to say the NFL gives the Pats a pass but they almost immediately have them the harshest punishment over Spygate ever with very little investigating or debate and then they spent millions to suspend Brady over something they said in court they had no direct evidence of. 

Don’t really have a history of turning a blind eye. And not for nothing the person who broke the story also retracted it. So you have someone completely outside the NFL backing it up and they are the only reason it’s a thing to begin with.