On 7/1/2020 at 6:57 PM, jrry32 said:

Sean McVay versus Doug Pederson offensively:

Rams - 1st in PPG and 10th in YPG

Eagles - 3rd in PPG and 7th in YPG

Rams - 2nd in PPG and 2nd in YPG

Eagles - 18th in PPG and 14th in YPG

Rams - 11th in PPG and 7th in YPG

Eagles - 12th in PPG and 14th in YPG

McVay has inarguably had the better offense each of the past two years.

Lets see those numbers when you're missing 6-7 starters on offense in most games and all of your skill position players are practice squad guys.

6 minutes ago, Danger said:

Lets see those numbers when you're missing 6-7 starters on offense in most games and all of your skill position players are practice squad guys.

When your team suffers a bunch of injuries every year, that points to a problem in your organization.

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

When your team suffers a bunch of injuries every year, that points to a problem in your organization.

Yes but you're being disingenuous with using it to paint Doug in a negative light comparatively speaking. None of us deny that it's an organizational problem, but that's not on Doug, it's only to his detriment, yet he's still had success.

Just now, Matts4313 said:

This is literally the nicest thing any Eagles fans has said about us in like 25 years. 

Progress: @Kiltman @EaglesPeteC @Danger @RandyMossIsBoss

Your offense should be great, defense I think is going to take a step back. Entering the season I'd have you guys as slight favorites, but I think our roster collectively has a higher ceiling this year. A lot of our holes on defense were plugged up and theoretically we'll have players coming back from injury this year. Until they get injured again at least! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Danger said:

Your offense should be great, defense I think is going to take a step back. Entering the season I'd have you guys as slight favorites, but I think our roster collectively has a higher ceiling this year. A lot of our holes on defense were plugged up and theoretically we'll have players coming back from injury this year. Until they get injured again at least! 

Get'm some smoothies. 

42 minutes ago, Danger said:

Yes but you're being disingenuous with using it to paint Doug in a negative light comparatively speaking. None of us deny that it's an organizational problem, but that's not on Doug, it's only to his detriment, yet he's still had success.

He's the head coach. Who should I blame? 

Just now, jrry32 said:

He's the head coach. Who should I blame? 

The front office, the GM, the scouts (both professional and collegiate).

Doug only works with the players he's given. Howie is fantastic at cap stuff. But for the most part he's really sucked at drafting since returning to GM duties in 2016.

2 minutes ago, Danger said:

Doug only works with the players he's given. Howie is fantastic at cap stuff. But for the most part he's really sucked at drafting since returning to GM duties in 2016.

This is literally the only elite thing JG had. Taking no matter whomever he got, he developed the crap out of them. Maybe this isnt a GM issue, but a HC one?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Danger said:

Doug is still responsible for the training and S&C staffs, right? He's responsible for player management. He has a say in the programs they use to keep guys healthy. I'm just saying that when your players fail to stay healthy year after year, you're either cursed (Chargers) or you have an in-house problem.

On 6/30/2020 at 7:20 PM, Matts4313 said:
On 6/30/2020 at 7:03 PM, 40Year Pack Fan said:

Both teams have digressed since their last SB appearances....However, it seems Pederson has done more with less....

Did the Eagles really have less? They were named the most talented team in the NFL going into the last few years. 

Yeah. He definitely has. By how much? I don't know. I think he's faced more adversity as a HC and has responded better when it counts and not just the SB. McVay definitely should've beat us that game where the Rams knocked Carson out of the game and ultimately for the season.

Eagles have had a lot of talent on the roster going into seasons, but we haven't been able to stay healthy lately. That is probably the only thing I miss from the Chip era.

According to FootballOutsiders Adjusted Games Lost has it like this for the past 3 years.

Rams:

2017: 1st

2018: 4th

2019: 10th

Eagles:

2017: 13th

2018: 32nd

2019: 21st

Rams have done a great job at keeping the players healthy and I think that is more on the training staff.

Eagles actually brought in a guy who used to be on the Rams strength and conditioning coach earlier this year lol.

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Doug is still responsible for the training and S&C staffs, right? He's responsible for player management. He has a say in the programs they use to keep guys healthy. I'm just saying that when your players fail to stay healthy year after year, you're either cursed (Chargers) or you have an in-house problem.

We probably did have an in-house problem honestly. They've been trying to shake up the training/medical staff. Not just this year.

Hopefully it pays off. I won't count the Brooks injury against the staff if he hurt it just jogging onto a field.

Anyways, according to Adam Caplan and his sources the biggest knock on Doug and what he needs to work on is coaching his coaches. He's a really good players coach, but they think he doesn't get on the coaches when guys aren't developing. I think Doug's surrounding coaching staff has gone downhill a bit in recent years, so Caplan may have a point there.

Edited by TheRealMcCoy
  • Like 2

My biggest thing is I feel Doug comes up big when it matters. He gets a lot out of his teams, even when we have struggled to stay healthy.

Those aren't easy things to do.

I have a lot of respect for McVay and think both coaches deserve a spot in the top 10 like I wouldn't really be upset at Pederson being 3rd or 9th. I might argue his placement with a few, but here are some legendary and really great coaches in the league right now.

Maybe Sean will get his first W against Pederson if we have a season though. ;)

Edited by TheRealMcCoy