Could Carson Wentz be answer to run/pass balance?

Phire

H/T Inquirer:

One reason the Eagles’ running game worked so well against the Giants last Sunday was that Carson Wentz switched play calls at the line several times, after getting a good look at the defense.

“He checked to most of those run plays,” running back Wendell Smallwood said after the Birds gained a season-high 193 yards on 39 carries. “He was seeing some things … he saw a favorable box, or he saw a scheme that would work for us. Some of the schemes, we hadn’t done in a while. He checked to them and they looked pretty good.”

This is one area where Wentz seems to be ahead of the curve, for a quarterback who will be making just his 20th NFL start Sunday at the Los Angeles Chargers.

Eagles coach Doug Pederson said Wentz can only change to something that is in that week’s game plan, and usually, constrained by formation and personnel packages, he gets to the line and has one pass option and one run option.

“We have a system that I can get to anytime during the game. It’s just a ‘take it’ system, that I can just give a formation and tell Carson to take it,”  Pederson said. “But there are parameters built around that based on the game plan, so that’s the limited part. We don’t give him full rein of our entire playbook. It has to be game-plan specific, and those specific plays are usually a one-run, one-pass in those situations.”

Center Jason Kelce said the Giants would try to disguise what they were doing by “bringing the weak safety down, then switching it at the last second, but he was right on top of it.”

Kelce has been the starting center here since he arrived in 2011. He said Wentz has the most play-calling latitude of any QB he has snapped to; obviously, in Chip Kelly’s hurry-up, the QB had almost no latitude.

“I thought Sam [Bradford] was a guy that probably could do something like this, but we just didn’t do that [then],” Kelce said. “[Michael] Vick certainly had the ability to change the play … we just probably do a little bit of it with Carson.”

I think this is imperative for our QB to be able to do. To be able to dissect the defense at the line of scrimmage and take advantage of what they're showing is a huge advantage. Carson just has to make the right calls. I'm all for allowing more choices for Carson and less for Doug.

Funny I wonder how long will Carson have that ability to check. What if Carson checks to some runs that don't work as well? As long as team give us nickel looks (5-6 in the box) we should be considering the run. When Carson starts to run the offense on a less experienced Peyton Manning level will DougieP be expendable? 

The obvious limitation here and Doug alluded to is that Carson has no control over what personnel is on the field. Meaning if Carson sees an opening for an outside run, and he has Blount, he has to decide whether to run it with him. I think that makes drafting a three down back even more imperative.

17 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Well at least DTM is allowing Wentz to change calls at the LOS!! Thank God for small favors since it now appears the DTM was still calling Pass play after pass play after pass play. :S

you and your nicknames....I figure its Doug but what does DTM stand for?

Archived