Kyler Murray Hype

BleedTheClock

I keep seeing this dude touted as the next big thing. It's obviously too early to write him off as unable to reach those heights, but I've seen several people...like, NFL people...say he's going to be the MVP this year. 

Why is his hype so high? I feel like he's shown nothing that would make me think he's going to win the MVP award this year. I don't dislike him, but I really don't think he'll be a top 5 QB any time soon. He's got a lot of work to do still. Will Hopkins help? Oh, absolutely. Will it take Murray from a decent rookie QB to the MVP? I think that's crazy talk.

What say you, FF?

• Like 2

I think that since Mahomes won the MVP in his sophomore year, people are looking for that next big thing.  And naturally, they're going to jump on the wagon of the best rookie QB.  It happened with Baker Mayfield too.  But young QBs do not always progress in a nice linear fashion.

Edited by Gmen

5 minutes ago, Gmen said:

I think that since Mahomes won the MVP in his sophomore year, people are looking for that next big thing.  And naturally, they're going to jump on the wagon of the best rookie QB.  It happened with Baker Mayfield too.  But young QBs do not always progress in a nice linear fashion.

It happens every year.  You'd think people would learn by now.

And what's funny with Mahomes is that it wasn't supposed to be him.  Deshaun Watson was the hyped rookie.

The alternative that happens every year is writing off a first or second year QB off of one bad season.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Gmen said:

Gmen getting his shot at Baker in. Nice job.

But anyway, I'm not sure about the Murray hype either. I think he should be poised for a solid/good year, but I'd be surprised if he's in the running for MVP. I thought he was very solid for a rookie, but nothing spectacular. He had a lot of games last year where his Y/A was embarrassingly low.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DawgX said:

I'm not sure about the Murray hype either. I think he should be poised for a solid/good year, but I'd be surprised if he's in the running for MVP. I thought he was very solid for a rookie, but nothing spectacular. He had a lot of games last year where his Y/A was embarrassingly low.

That's where I am.  He's essentially just now entering the phase where we'll see what he can really do.  He was fine as a rookie, but rookie years mean very little, and even if they didn't, he wasn't that impressive in comparison to other recent rookie sensations.

Cards stans will be quick to point out a bad supporting cast, but that's like every first overall pick ever.  You don't get to the first overall pick with a good team, and you rarely get there with just a plain old bad team.

I'd argue we only know marginally more about him than we did right after he was drafted.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

It happens every year.  You'd think people would learn by now.

And what's funny with Mahomes is that it wasn't supposed to be him.  Deshaun Watson was the hyped rookie.

The alternative that happens every year is writing off a first or second year QB off of one bad season.

Deshaun on the come back watch this space

its the year 2 jump. People think its generally automatic for a decent rookie QB who can pass and run to come out slinging and running the show in year 2. Murray has the arm and the speed to do it but its not that simple. I'm still not in love with the Oline and that may keep him mid rank if nothing else does.

3 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I keep seeing this dude touted as the next big thing. It's obviously too early to write him off as unable to reach those heights, but I've seen several people...like, NFL people...say he's going to be the MVP this year. 

Why is his hype so high? I feel like he's shown nothing that would make me think he's going to win the MVP award this year. I don't dislike him, but I really don't think he'll be a top 5 QB any time soon. He's got a lot of work to do still. Will Hopkins help? Oh, absolutely. Will it take Murray from a decent rookie QB to the MVP? I think that's crazy talk.

What say you, FF?

Did you see the Cardinals in 2018?  One of the worst offenses in history (statistically).   That was probably one of the most painful things any Cardinal fan has ever had to witness, and the Cardinals used to be BAD BAD BAD for so long.

2019 was one of the biggest improvements of offense ever (from the previous season).

Did you even watch him in 2019?  With almost the same personnel?  With a first year HC? (First year in the NFL at a coaching experience, not just a first time HC).

You must have not watched him.  He was seemingly withheld from running for the first ~4-5 games, probably until he got the into the groove (from what it looks like and the sharp contrast after, he looked like he was told NOT to run).  Still almost passed for 4k yards and rushed for over 500 with that offense.  They also had to change their offense up throughout the season and he adapted well.

With Hopkins and some experience, it looks like it can open up.  Let's just say as a Cardinal fan, it's more exciting than with Kurt Warner for probably most of the fan base.  And we all love him more than anything (except maybe Fitz).

Edited by Zalixar

24 minutes ago, Zalixar said:

Did you see the Cardinals in 2018?  One of the worst offenses in history (statistically).   That was probably one of the most painful things any Cardinal fan has ever had to witness, and the Cardinals used to be BAD BAD BAD for so long.

2019 was one of the biggest improvements of offense ever (from the previous season).

Did you even watch him in 2019?  With almost the same personnel?  With a first year HC? (First year in the NFL at a coaching experience, not just a first time HC).

You must have not watched him.  He was seemingly withheld from running for the first ~4-5 games, probably until he got the into the groove (from what it looks like and the sharp contrast after, he looked like he was told NOT to run).  Still almost passed for 4k yards and rushed for over 500 with that offense.  They also had to change their offense up throughout the season and he adapted well.

With Hopkins and some experience, it looks like it can open up.  Let's just say as a Cardinal fan, it's more exciting than with Kurt Warner for probably most of the fan base.  And we all love him more than anything (except maybe Fitz).

I do think Kyler is going to be solid to good. But the MVP of the league this year?

The Cardinals are still the worst team in their division. When's the last time the MVP of the NFL was the worst team in their division? The point is, even if Murray is great, he would need to be Mahomes-level elite to take that team anywhere. And quite frankly, that's not happening.

I know you're excited about your shiny new toy, but the question wasn't is Kyler good. The question was is Kyler being hyped as the 2020 MVP insane? Which it is.

4 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I do think Kyler is going to be solid to good. But the MVP of the league this year?

The Cardinals are still the worst team in their division. When's the last time the MVP of the NFL was the worst team in their division? The point is, even if Murray is great, he would need to be Mahomes-level elite to take that team anywhere. And quite frankly, that's not happening.

I know you're excited about your shiny new toy, but the question wasn't is Kyler good. The question was is Kyler being hyped as the 2020 MVP insane? Which it is.

You said Lamar Jackson being a starting-level QB in this league was insane, and he won the MVP the next year. I don’t think you’re very qualified to rule on how likely or unlikely the prospects of future MVPs are for, like, the next 5 years probably.

• Like 7

I think he has a strong year. His supporting cast is insane. Have the willey vet who can still go, the young gun possession type, the in his prime playmaker, and a few burners at WR. Matt Lienart could come back and have a good season with that receiving corp IMO. Ultimately though, I don't see a long term future for Kyler. I dont see him ever being consistent at this level. 

• Like 1