Kyler Murray Hype

BleedTheClock

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

There's that to. They only took off in 2018 when Lamar became the starter and no one really looked at that roster as being amazing or anything. And then last season the team was a complete juggernaut. 

I will say to this topic. In 2018, it was Watson who was getting all the potential MVP love and it ended up being Mahomes. Last year it was Mayfield who got the MVP love and it ended up being Jackson. This time around it is Murray getting the love..........So everyone should be putting money on one of the other second year rookies to win MVP lol. 

What’s that Vegas line look like for Daniel Jones 👀👀👀

27 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

There's that to. They only took off in 2018 when Lamar became the starter and no one really looked at that roster as being amazing or anything. And then last season the team was a complete juggernaut. 

I will say to this topic. In 2018, it was Watson who was getting all the potential MVP love and it ended up being Mahomes. Last year it was Mayfield who got the MVP love and it ended up being Jackson. This time around it is Murray getting the love..........So everyone should be putting money on one of the other second year rookies to win MVP lol. 

Yea, Baker was definitely getting huge potential MVP love.

OTOH.

Watson flashed as a rookie, but he was also coming off a torn ACL tear going into his 2nd year. Was he really getting MVP love like that?

1 minute ago, ClutchDJ said:

Yea, Baker was definitely getting huge potential MVP love.

OTOH.

Watson flashed as a rookie, but he was also coming off a torn ACL tear going into his 2nd year. Was he really getting MVP love like that?

More than any other second year QB? Yes he was, yes he was. 

21 minutes ago, ET80 said:

*Shrug*

I'll put $20 on Drew Lock.

Same here.  That Broncos team is sneaky loaded and set up for a great season.  I could see them going 12-4 and winning the AFC West.

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

I won't go THAT far (Mahomes, Chiefs) but they'll be very competetive and are probably a playoff team...

I think that division could get 2 playoff teams with the other 2 wildcard teams coming from the AFC East and North.

I really like Denver this year.  I wouldn't put it past them to beat out Kansas City for the division.  They signed a lot of quality players this off-season and have drafted well the last 3 years.  IMO they have one of the more talented rosters in the league.  Lotta that talent is young and unproven but I really like their potential. 

Former #1 overall pick who plays in an offense due for serious positive regression, added playmakers, and IIRC finished last year with the 3rd best deep ball rating behind only Mahomes and Russ. 

I don't know if I'd go as far as MVP (wouldn't have went that far this time last year with Lamar, mind you), but it's certainly within the realm of possibilities. The odds of Kyler having a great year are far higher than the odds of him declining. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SaveOurSonics said:

Former #1 overall pick who plays in an offense due for serious positive regression, added playmakers, and IIRC finished last year with the 3rd best deep ball rating behind only Mahomes and Russ. 

I don't know if I'd go as far as MVP (wouldn't have went that far this time last year with Lamar, mind you), but it's certainly within the realm of possibilities. The odds of Kyler having a great year are far higher than the odds of him declining. 

Agree wholeheartedly.

Look, I know some people here have opinions about this guy, but Strong Opinion Sports does a great film breakdown of Kyler on both his strengths and things he should improve from his rookie year. 

It's a pretty good watch. He even mentioned Dan Arnold, and I doubt most of my fellow Red Sea guys even know who that is (though I pointed him out at as a potential playmaker in several threads, and I'm pretty one of the other four fans ( @LuckyNumber11 @11sanchez11 @DirtyDez @Zalixar) did in our forum. 

I just don't see any QBs from the past couple seasons whose highlight reel compares to this.

Specifically, if you're looking for some wow plays:

1:20

3:50

6:48

9:15

10:03

10:13

10:51

11:39

11:47

11:59

12:15

12:40

13:37

15:23

This kid is legit.

• Like 1

Yeah I definitely would have Murray in that MVP conversation. I don’t think it’s hype, it simply makes sense. Who wins the MVP award? Mainly quarterbacks. So now you have to find a QB that can put up stats; Murray is in an offense known for putting up great statistical performances at the collegiate level and with lesser weapons he put up pretty darn good numbers.

So now the other component is you need someone with a great story; a great story can come in many shapes or sizes, but heather NFCW division is right now considered the best division in football and the Cardinals are considered the worst talented team in the division. That said they were VERY competitive in most ever game last season. If they can turn things around and win that division (which I think would be tough but similar to the NFCE in the 00s things can flip so quickly from year to year), then Murray would be given the Lion share of credit for that type of turnaround. What’s more he’s only like 5’9”/5’10” and if he puts up numbers overcoming that adversity of his size will heighten his story further.

Just like Lamar last season I think Murray has got as a great shot as anyone to win. Things change from year to year, so if he can hit the above story notes... which I find all to be possible outcomes, then he’s got a strong chance. I would also put Cam Newton on my MVP watchlist, he too has a great story to push him through IMO. Then there’s Mahomes, who is special enough that he’s always in the conversation. Those would be my top 3 if they all start every game. Not as high on Lamar’s chances this season as I was last; don’t see enough narrative there and while talented, isn’t quite as much of what the league wants to market as what Mahomes is as their next best flagship.

Edited by diamondbull424

On 6/30/2020 at 10:45 AM, BleedTheClock said:

I keep seeing this dude touted as the next big thing. It's obviously too early to write him off as unable to reach those heights, but I've seen several people...like, NFL people...say he's going to be the MVP this year. 

Why is his hype so high? I feel like he's shown nothing that would make me think he's going to win the MVP award this year. I don't dislike him, but I really don't think he'll be a top 5 QB any time soon. He's got a lot of work to do still. Will Hopkins help? Oh, absolutely. Will it take Murray from a decent rookie QB to the MVP? I think that's crazy talk.

What say you, FF?

He had elite arm talent, a great deep ball thrower and very quick legs. 

He has goat physical talents