Spent a year learning from Tom Brady

Comfortable with the playbook/offense

Much younger player - unrealized potential

Familiar with supporting cast

Cons

Thrown 4 NFL regular season passes - and they werent great

Unproven commodity 

Not a high pedigree 

I think the biggest thing is going to be what type of offense the Patriots run. Stidham is still a bit of an unknown but Newton missed last year and his shoulder is still unknown. I know there is tape of Newton throwing recently but throwing against air is a lot different than throwing against an NFL defense. 

If I had to say right now who will be the week one starter I would say Newton but I'm not sure that is the best choice.

Well, all off-season so far I've been banging the drum of 'BB obviously thinks (knows) Stidham is good enough, because he's made no moves to add another QB either in FA or draft - so he's rolling with Jarrett'. I now have to detract that, obviously. I pick....

usp-nfl_-nfc-championship-arizona-cardinals-at-car1.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

17 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

Unfamiliar with McD's verbiage

Unfamiliar with supporting cast

Odd fit in terms of team culture

Those aren't really strong reasons against Newton. I think the team fit in terms of culture is so wrong. I couldn't imagine a better leader at QB than Newton for this team right now. The entire team will rally around Cam, if anything.

The supporting cast argument holds less weight because he is a duel-threat option. The offense has taken on a more smash mouth run identity in the last year or so which works to one of Cam's strengths.

And the verbiage is an issue for all free agents and rookies on new teams or players under new coaching staffs in 2020. That somewhat brings down everyone else to a more even playing field. But also, there is Cam Newton's experience with Norv Turner whom you referenced in a great post earlier on this page.

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

The supporting cast argument holds less weight because he is a duel-threat option.

I think people are overestimating this part. Yes, the dude is mobile and has proven that. However, he is 31 and he isnt going to be Lamar Jackson out there. I'm not saying you specifically, but all over the board people keep harping on the dual threat ability. It is there, but I don't think it will be as focal as some are making it seem. 

• Like 1

There will certainly be far fewer designed run plays for Cam with us, compared to 2015, say. FAR fewer. 

Contrary to popular belief though, Cam is at his best operating a spread offense. The damage he done with CmC out wide, or 4 WR sets was notable. THAT's when the running becomes an option, there will be fewer defenders left in if we've spread them. Lanes will appear, and he'll rake off those annoying 3rd and mediums that killed us everytime we played him.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

I think people are overestimating this part. Yes, the dude is mobile and has proven that. However, he is 31 and he isnt going to be Lamar Jackson out there. I'm not saying you specifically, but all over the board people keep harping on the dual threat ability. It is there, but I don't think it will be as focal as some are making it seem. 

This is what worries me with Newton. he only has three season where he completed 60% or more of his passes and only 1.69 TDs per INT. Those aren't great numbers. What made him special was his threat to run. In 2016, his worst year rushing (90-359-5 tds) he also had his worst year passing (52.9 % 3509 yards 19 TDs and 14 INTs) I think the old saying there are a lot of good young running QBs but not many old ones applies, but where does that leave Newton without being much of a running threat.

4 minutes ago, jofos said:

but where does that leave Newton without being much of a running threat.

highly efficient in a short passing game. You are siting numbers from a time in which they pushed Cam into an offense that featured mostly go routes and deep post patterns, which he sucks at. He has the arm but the deep ball accuracy was NEVER there.