Chris Jones Declaring A Potential Holdout

Jakuvious

13 hours ago, samsel23 said:

Jones is not worth 20+,   I know I’m in the minority on this.  

I think he's worth $20M+....to other teams. And that, IMO, is the big problem, here. Like, I absolutely think he's worth that much money to a team on the open market that sees him as a the centerpiece to their roster, but that isn't where he is for us. He's a phenomenal player, he stepped up huge in the playoffs, we may not have won the superbowl without him, but considering cap, roster building, and the future of the franchise, he probably isn't worth that to us.

But this creates a really awkward situation from a negotiation perspective. I'd say he is worth the 1 year, $16M franchise tag, for us. So the best thing for the team is to try to play him on the tag. The best thing for him is clearly to get out and get somewhere who can and will pay him. There just isn't really a good middleground there.

14 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

I absolutely think he's worth that much money to a team on the open market that sees him as a the centerpiece to their roster, but that isn't where he is for us.

If this is true, some team should cough up a low 1st rd. pick and get him.  But they won't

On 7/2/2020 at 1:34 PM, mayanfootball said:

If this is true, some team should cough up a low 1st rd. pick and get him.  But they won't

Why would they?

They can just wait it out, the guy has already got one foot out the door, and we’ve gotta pay Mahomes.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2020 at 1:34 PM, mayanfootball said:

You never know, but you need the right situation and I don't know what that situation is. The 49ers had sort of a unique situation with having the Colts and all their cap space, a willingness and roster that they think could win now, a need at the position, etc. Seattle could be an interesting team that would make that move. They have a ton of space starting next year and already have Wilson under contract. Competitive team. They have Reed, but it's a short term deal, and they certainly need a pass rusher. 

• Like 1

On 7/2/2020 at 3:34 PM, mayanfootball said:

See, that's a different matter, though. I think he's easily worth $20M to a number of teams around the league. That doesn't directly translate to him being worth $20M AND a first round pick to teams around the league. Many teams, at that point, would rather get to draft a first rounder and throw that $20M out in free agency instead.

3 hours ago, chiefs82 said:

Mahomes deal could help Get CJ95 back in the mix, a week left, tor the tag to be signed and then a deal done

We've got about $6M to work with this year, and $36M next year (though obviously this doesn't count other players we may want to bring back or cut loose), so there is enough wiggle room to try to get something done. Does depend a bit on what they expect from the cap after Covid though, also. If it goes down that $36M could be a good bit smaller. Would make it tougher.

On 7/6/2020 at 7:00 PM, Jakuvious said:

We've got about $6M to work with this year, and $36M next year (though obviously this doesn't count other players we may want to bring back or cut loose), so there is enough wiggle room to try to get something done. Does depend a bit on what they expect from the cap after Covid though, also. If it goes down that $36M could be a good bit smaller. Would make it tougher.

Yeah the virus really is messing up everything rn