Chiefs Chris Jones - Wants 20m or wont play

GordyTheGoffer

"Or I won't play. Le'Veon Bell told me about this," Jones' tweet read.

Ah, he's talking about the same guy that missed out on 14.5M and then didn't get the contract he was looking for in FA the following year.

Yep, that logic makes sense now.
  • Like 10

I, too, have consulted with my agent and studied LeVeon Bell's strategy, and now my course of action is clear.

I refuse to report to training camp until I get my new contract, worth 20 mil per year.

However, I am willing to take a hometown discount and play for the Cardinals for the cost of a signed Larry Legend jersey, Kyler Murray's beanie, and 10 mil spread across multiple years.

• Like 2

tbh, Jones should get $20MM. He's one of the best DEs in football, and if Buckner was worth $21MM/year, Jones signing his contract after means he should be getting $20MM. Even if you think Buckner is better, they're in the same tier, and in the NFL that means the latest guy to sign gets paid the most.

But he said Le'Veon Bell so everyone is going to just knee-jerk to the owners side.

• Like 7

It will be interesting to see how the Chiefs handle this one. I'm not sure what their cap situation is, but Aaron Donald should only be getting Aaron Donald money. But of course, Buckner now is, so Chris Jones has a point to demand more ******. Probably not going to work out for him though if he's using Le'Veon Bell's approach. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

tbh, Jones should get $20MM. He's one of the best DEs in football, and if Buckner was worth $21MM/year, Jones signing his contract after means he should be getting $20MM. Even if you think Buckner is better, they're in the same tier, and in the NFL that means the latest guy to sign gets paid the most.

But he said Le'Veon Bell so everyone is going to just knee-jerk to the owners side.

Except in this case, there's talk of the salary cap going down.  So the next guy may not make more, and owners are going to be reluctant to sign guys to big money deals right now.

He's just not going to get this deal this year.  Maybe in other years, but not this year.

EDIT: I only mentioned Leveon in my post because it's a moronic reference.  He didn't get what he was looking for, and no one should be following his lead because it didn't work.  Missing out on 15-20M on the tag will never make mathematical sense unless a team is really trying to stiff a guy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

No doubt. My first thought was KC should give him 20M/yr. ASAP. 

But with future salary cap numbers being so unpredictable with Covid, who knows. 

7 minutes ago, theJ said:

Except in this case, there's talk of the salary cap going down.  So the next guy may not make more, and owners are going to be reluctant to sign guys to big money deals right now.

He's just not going to get this deal this year.  Maybe in other years, but not this year.

EDIT: I only mentioned Leveon in my post because it's a moronic reference.  He didn't get what he was looking for, and no one should be following his lead because it didn't work.  Missing out on 15-20M on the tag will never make mathematical sense unless a team is really trying to stiff a guy.

Disagree...or maybe a better way to phrase this is that I think this is an incomplete picture. While mathematically, I agree it would generally make the most sense to sign the tag (and keep signing them until the team can't offer them any more), there's a guaranteed money element here that shouldn't be discounted. 

Jones had made $6MM so far, so even if he signs the tag his lifetime earnings are ~$22MM. Knock half of that off with taxes and agent fees, and he's at roughly $10MM before expenses. Obviously, that's a great life if he manages it smartly, but there's a big lifestyle difference between a $10MM nestegg and getting $60MM guaranteed on his next deal. If Jones chooses to put ~$16MM at risk this season (or realistically, half of that since he'd still play half the year) to minimize the chances of him not getting that massive guarantee, I get it. You're talking about the difference between living a solidly upper class life and having generational wealth. Even though personally that's probably too conservative for my taste, I think we should be aware that this isn't purely math for the players.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Disagree. While mathematically, I agree it would generally make the most sense to sign the tag (and keep signing them until the team can't offer them any more), there's a guaranteed money element. 

Jones had made $6MM so far, so even if he signs the tag his lifetime earnings are ~$22MM. Knock half of that off with taxes and agent fees, and he's at roughly $10MM before expenses. Obviously, that's a great life if he manages it smartly, but there's a big lifestyle difference between a $10MM nestegg and getting $60MM guaranteed on his next deal. If Jones chooses to put ~$16MM at risk this season (or realistically, half of that since he'd still play half the year) to minimize the chances of him not getting that massive guarantee, I get it. You're talking about the difference between living a solidly upper class life and having generational wealth. Even though personally that's probably too conservative for my taste, I think we should be aware that this isn't purely math for the players.

I guess it depends on what you think the chances are that he gets hurt and can't get that next deal.

It's a risk equation.

• Like 1

Wow!!! Wanting 20 plus million for 1 good year when your previous 3 years you didn’t even start!! 

Don’t worry KC, the Vikings have a player ( Dalvin Cook) who also thinks he should be getting top dollar for his 1 good year... 

10 minutes ago, Vikes22 said:

Wow!!! Wanting 20 plus million for 1 good year when your previous 3 years you didn’t even start!! 

Don’t worry KC, the Vikings have a player ( Dalvin Cook) who also thinks he should be getting top dollar for his 1 good year... 

You mean like in 2018 when he got 15.5 sacks? Is that good? 

• Like 8