Chiefs Chris Jones - Wants 20m or wont play

GordyTheGoffer

12 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Why would any of that be Chris Jones' problem? 

Well, if one or two players suck up all or most of the money under the salary cap, there's less money for other quality players. If there are fewer quality players, the team doesn't win. If Chris Jones won't even pretend to care at all about winning, then I certainly wouldn't want him on a team that I root for.

2 minutes ago, rfournier103 said:

Well, if one or two players suck up all or most of the money under the salary cap, there's less money for other quality players. If there are fewer quality players, the team doesn't win. If Chris Jones won't even pretend to care at all about winning, then I certainly wouldn't want him on a team that I root for.

Lol. It's not Chris Jones' responsibility to take less money just because the league artificially depresses player wages through the salary cap. He's got his ring, and it's a business. Careers are short and he probably only has one shot at this kind of payday. Wanting to get paid what he's worth doesn't mean he doesn't care about winning, it just means he's not a rube. 

• Like 9

41 minutes ago, Swift21 said:

I would have signed Chris Jones long term before I signed Frank Clark long term. Jones is going to be harder to replace.

I think Clark still has another gear,  Jones I think we’ve seen his peak.  I wouldn’t pay either 20m,  the defense was more consistent(albeit missed his splash plays) when Jones wasn’t lined up in the middle.  

2 hours ago, rfournier103 said:

So, if Chris Jones thinks he's worth 20M per season, what does he think Patrick Mahomes should get, and how much should be left over for the other 51 players on the roster? Or is that not Jones' problem?

Definitely not Chris Jones' problem, and I'm confused why it would be. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, biggio7 said:

Then, sit. I'm just tired of it. Play out the contract you actually signed and then deal with it afterwards.

Well this is awkward...he's on a franchise tag that he hasn't signed.  

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

I think Clark still has another gear,  Jones I think we’ve seen his peak.  I wouldn’t pay either 20m,  the defense was more consistent(albeit missed his splash plays) when Jones wasn’t lined up in the middle.  

I still hate the last three years of Clark's deal. I would argue though that the signing of Pennel, not Jones' absence, is what helped the defense become more consistent.

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

The NFL IMO may want to consider down the road designating a % or $ figure for quarterbacks that doesn’t count against the salary cap. When Mahomes resets the market, it’s going to get crazy quickly.

I actually really like this. Brings in more parity for teams who actually find the right guy. It's so bass ackwards that a team's best chance to win are when a good QB is still the infancy of his career.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I still hate the last three years of Clark's deal. I would argue though that the signing of Pennel, not Jones' absence, is what helped the defense become more consistent.

Agreed on Pennel.   Jones will abandon his run gaps to make splash plays,  it will hurt as much as it helps.  Hence why the run D was so inconsistent last year.   He works great in a rotation, which is why I don’t think he’s worth that price tag.   At least with Clark you know he’s giving effort while maintaining his responsibilities.