Preseason Cut in half

Blackstar12

1 minute ago, CriminalMind said:

So are they going to re do the schedule games if only week 2 & 3 are played? Makes sense to move them a week back and release a new preseason schedule with each team playing 1 home & 1 road

They have to re-do them in some capacity. The Chiefs were scheduled to be on the road in weeks 2 and 3. If each team is getting a home and away, the current schedule obviously won't work.

30 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

They have to re-do them in some capacity. The Chiefs were scheduled to be on the road in weeks 2 and 3. If each team is getting a home and away, the current schedule obviously won't work.

If the stadiums don't have fans I don't think they are going to rework the schedule. What's the point in being home if the game doesn't count?

24 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

If the stadiums don't have fans I don't think they are going to rework the schedule. What's the point in being home if the game doesn't count?

Just a report I saw. Each team is allegedly getting one home and one away preseason game.

• Like 2

There will be no football in 2020. It's easier to just accept it now. If we have a season, it will be moved to 2021 and more than likely, shortened. That's only if science figures this puzzle out. That possibility is looking very promising now but it needs to be done very cautiously which takes time.

1 hour ago, JTagg7754 said:

There will be no football in 2020. It's easier to just accept it now. If we have a season, it will be moved to 2021 and more than likely, shortened. That's only if science figures this puzzle out. That possibility is looking very promising now but it needs to be done very cautiously which takes time.

why would there be no season when you have MLS, MLB, NHL, Nascar, and Golf all starting back or will start back this month? Just cause they are cutting out meaningless games and not having fans in the stadium doesn't mean a season can not start on time.

What does preseason do for starters other then risk injury or now covid. With the NFLPA still yet to agree on this I think it may be beneficial to not have a preseason. College doesn't have practice games so why should the pros right now? The only reason teams like preseason is to find those last 12-15 players that will be back ups or special teamers who arent going to start on offense or defense. Gives times to gel on live plays but they arent giving it 100%. If you want to have your backups play so 22-25 of your starters do not need to attend the preseason they have the right to do so and then you take the remaining players from the 90 man roster have them battle it out for those spots in those two games. Its better then risking multiple teams to travel and play each other if it risks spreading the virus during a meaningless game. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, soflbillsfan said:

why would there be no season when you have MLS, MLB, NHL, Nascar, and Golf all starting back or will start back this month? Just cause they are cutting out meaningless games and not having fans in the stadium doesn't mean a season can not start on time.

I dont think you can count Nascar or Golf. You can easily social distance and use preventative measures. The other leagues, including the NBA which you didnt mention for some reason, are going through a lot of drama trying to get things restarted or started. It will be interesting to see what happens, but you're own argument could be used against you in a month or so if all these restarts collapse and get suspended again. 

I think people are getting a little desensitized, especially in sport circles. This can spread so easily, it only takes one to start a chain reaction in which the majority of more than one team are just out. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

I dont think you can count Nascar or Golf. You can easily social distance and use preventative measures. The other leagues, including the NBA which you didnt mention for some reason, are going through a lot of drama trying to get things restarted or started. It will be interesting to see what happens, but you're own argument could be used against you in a month or so if all these restarts collapse and get suspended again. 

I think people are getting a little desensitized, especially in sport circles. This can spread so easily, it only takes one to start a chain reaction in which the majority of more than one team are just out. 

Thought I mentioned NBA but they are included and they are set to start July 28th. Thats why I said this month because I knew they were going again at that time. Nascar and Golf do have social distancing a lot easier but there are also ways that the NFL along with the other sports can prevent risk of illness. These protective masks added to the visor they are creating will be helpful along with reccuring testing to make sure they arent spreading it around. I just dont want to buy in to saying there will be no season because of these 2 pointless practice games. 

22 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Nascar and Golf do have social distancing a lot easier but there are also ways that the NFL along with the other sports can prevent risk of illness

Sure, but not even remotely to the same degree. At the end of the day, football is a full contact sport and there is no protecting anyone there.

23 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

I just dont want to buy in to saying there will be no season because of these 2 pointless practice games. 

I don't think you can say anything definitively either way, your right. I do think this is a step in the wrong direction though, albeit a move the league is exploiting the pandemic to make. 

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

Sure, but not even remotely to the same degree. At the end of the day, football is a full contact sport and there is no protecting anyone there.

I don't think you can say anything definitively either way, your right. I do think this is a step in the wrong direction though, albeit a move the league is exploiting the pandemic to make. 

No one wants the preseason other then the owners, and maybe the coaches to find a gem in their 90 player roster but as fans and players (who start) dont have any interest in preseason as it brings nothing but injury to those risking it. As for my comment the guy specifically said "There will be NO football in 2020" to base that off of cutting preseason games is silly to me. Like you said it is contact sport so protection isnt 100% the NFL is limiting that exposure by cutting preseason in half and they should do the entire preseason this year because it is simply no upside to meaningless games other then injury or contracting the virus. Back to my original point jumping the gun and making a statement as definitive to not having it played this year is a knee jerk reaction and like many of us believe that you cant dictate the season from happening based on cancelling meaningless games.

Edited by soflbillsfan

I like preseason in the sense that it’s football and I like to get my own look at the training camp heroes you read about, but I won’t be mourning a shortened preseason.

The games are “meaningless” unless you’re on the roster bubble where they become a matter of playing for your livelihood. 

• Like 2

There's a value to the League and the networks in having some preseason games - they need to test out the new production changes, protocols for cleaning & distancing and game day operations including the Refs under the new rules. Teams are also going to want a chance to test how they will communicate in secret, without the cloak of deafening crowd noise.

NFLPA is apparently pushing back on any preseason games and the NFL has dumped 33 of 65 preseason games so far