Preseason Cut in half

Blackstar12

29 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Now preseason is completely cut. 

No chance there is football this year. 

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the cap and contracts. If there is no season or a shortened one, do players still get paid and is this considered a qualifying year for contracts? Or are contracts essentially on pause?

37 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the cap and contracts. If there is no season or a shortened one, do players still get paid and is this considered a qualifying year for contracts? Or are contracts essentially on pause?

I have been trying to figure out how this impacts high school and college sports.

3 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I have been trying to figure out how this impacts high school and college sports.

One of my employees is on his high school team, and the coaches told them to still do their training and conditioning at home over the summer, but also that they werent sure that there would be a season.  I imagine a lot of seasons will be getting cancelled.  

College, who knows?  Navy just had a Patriot League team cancel on them for football, so they are scrambling to find an opponent.  The Ireland game against Notre Dame was moved to Annapolis, and I just heard that for the first semester, all of the midshipmen will be required to stay on academy grounds.  I know people in the athletics department, and there is talk about only having a quarter of the fan capacity at the game as well.  Reports keep coming in of positive tests for players at programs who are returning for workouts, and some campuses are getting ready to do online classes and may not have sports if everyone can't return.  

If the returns of baseball, basketball and hockey struggle out of the gate, or any one of them has to shut it down, you can definitely say goodbye to most high school and college seasons.  Who knows what the NFL will do at that point.  

• Like 2

I think two games, since starters barely play, are absolutely needed just to get guys in rhythm of playing fast and loose. 

They’ve already banned joint practices and teams don’t go live much at all anymore. 

Gonna be some sloppy ball being played, I can see a lot of penalties and low score games.

• Like 1

Who else is ready for the story to come out in November that a few high profile players with no symptoms tested positive, but the league suppressed the results to keep them on the field?

Edited by Mazrimiv
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

I am guessing the reason the NFLPA wants zero preseason games -  is because all of the player contracts state that if they are on roster for Game 1, their salary for the year is guaranteed. So long as they make it through first game, they get paid their paragraph 5 salary. Bonuses are a different story

5 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

I am guessing the reason the NFLPA wants zero preseason games -  is because all of the player contracts state that if they are on roster for Game 1, their salary for the year is guaranteed. So long as they make it through first game, they get paid their paragraph 5 salary. Bonuses are a different story

Will they be on the roster though.

Without pre-season games (if there aren't any), how does this affect roster make-up. Teams would probably want to keep more of their draft picks ?  Be a nightmare for the undrafted guys who may have lost their shot at a career.

Could teams even go into week 1 with under 53 players for the week one rule ?  Especially if worried about finances.

21 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Who else is ready for the story to come out in November that a few high profile players with no symptoms tested positive, but the league suppressed the results to keep them on the field?

They'd be sued for billions, league would fold.

1 hour ago, KingOfTheDot said:

They'd be sued for billions, league would fold.

It would just be sheer stupidity.

Assuming they play the season, its 1000% in the league's interest for any player positive to be quarantined. League can get by fine with some players out. It can't get by fine if those players pass it on to the rest of the team.

Regardless of what you think of the league, the head guys will possess some level of intelligence above zero.

• Like 1

At this point, there’s little benefit to playing preseason games. Those seeing this as a harbinger of doom are getting ahead of themselves. It's in the NFL's best interest to minimize risk and maximize value. Playing (in relative terms) pointless games accomplishes neither.

As far as fans go (for the record I wouldn't do it), it seems silly to act like people have no agency in regard to their level of risk aversion. We're talking about holding the NFL to an impossible standard, to which no one is subject. It would ludicrous to go after for example the organizers of a protest for allowing people to risk virus spread. The people participating are making a judgement call: is what I'm doing worth the risk? The answer is up to the person. Now obviously there's no 1st Amendment protections per se to watching football (not yet at least), but with proper mask use, distancing, and containment measures, it doesn't seem like such a crazy idea.

What if the NFL just reruns the 2019 ( or another ) season on TV this fall ?
They already have all the film, the cost is negligible. Would enough people tune in each week to generate decent ad revenue ?
They replay games all the time and even though the outcome is known, they generate significant ad revenue from those replay broadcasts

Of course it totally sucks compared to an actual season, but if you could give the owners/players some money, its better than none
Is a "re-run season" an option if a real one can't be pulled off ?