Redskins shareholders attempting to force name change

Matts4313

4 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Actually just saw a great comment. They change their names to the "Pigskins" as their OL has historically been called "the hogs". Can still call themselves the 'Skins. Can change their logo to something that looks like a football or a pig. 

Then they just trade the current people protesting their name for PETA protesting their name.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Actually just saw a great comment. They change their names to the "Pigskins" as their OL has historically been called "the hogs". Can still call themselves the 'Skins. Can change their logo to something that looks like a football or a pig. 

Pigskins is a decent replacement. 

2 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Hogskins. 

This.

Just keep the skins part. 

23 minutes ago, lancerman said:

Unfortunately that’s the problem. The team decided to co opt another people’s identity/culture/history so they could market their team. Snyder really doesn’t have any hard claim to a team name based on a racial stereotype of the appearance of a race of people being part of his culture/identity 

No team really does but like sadly he can name it whatever the hell he wants and keep it as is pending massive pressure and a loss of money.

5 hours ago, SwoleXmad said:

Has some more noise to it this time. 

Never say never. 

I think it actually has more noise each time. This could be the straw.

3 hours ago, GordyTheGoffer said:

I was hard against the change because I believe political correctness can and often is applied to stupidly innocent situations but I now get the impression that people actually might be offended by it. I also get the impression that to move forward with the times the team name might need to change at some point. But in the end it becomes a question of how much of your identity, culture and history you are willing to give up for the political correct movement...

I won't go too deep into this because it will derail it and get it locked, but yes, many Native Americans are offended by it. I don't have a leg to stand on in the argument other than "but it's always been my favorite team's name." Kind of a stupid counter argument. So, change it. Be done with it. Move on from the controversy. The sooner you do, the sooner you move forward. Hell, the Wizards survived it. There were butts in the seats when they were winning in the Arenas days. WINNING changes everything. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

Until PETA joins the chat. 

I don't think many will disagree that the current name change is OK but we need to keep in mind that this is a very, very slippery slope.

When it comes to team names, this change has been warranted for a long time and Snyder's defense of it has been wishy-washy at best.  I don't think there's a slippery slope that comes with it.

6 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

Until PETA joins the chat. 

I don't think many will disagree that the current name change is OK but we need to keep in mind that this is a very, very slippery slope.

The slope isn't slippery the Redskins franchise was built by an interior decorator with no taste and it's time to change it, whether Snyder budges is anyone's guess. No other NFL team is at risk of having their name changed except maybe the Jaguars when they move within the next decade or so.

Very rarely will NFL teams cave to things unless it affects their bottom line.

• Like 1

I don’t think it’s a slippery slide either. Could you imagine a team called the “Darkskins” that has a picture of an African Warrior as the logo? Or a team called “Yellowskins” that has a feudal Japan stereotype as the the logo. 

Tangibly there is no difference. It is a stereotype of a skin color for the name and then using imagery of another culture. It’s not like the Vikings using the actual name of a group of people. It’s an appearance based name based on a stereotype white people created. There’s no acceptable equivalent 

• Like 7

There is a little known codicil in the Football Futures Constitution which gives the mods unlimited power to preserve order in times of board emergency. 

As of this point forward this thread is on double secret probation 

35 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I think it actually has more noise each time. This could be the straw.

I won't go too deep into this because it will derail it and get it locked, but yes, many Native Americans are offended by it. I don't have a leg to stand on in the argument other than "but it's always been my favorite team's name." Kind of a stupid counter argument. So, change it. Be done with it. Move on from the controversy. The sooner you do, the sooner you move forward. Hell, the Wizards survived it. There were butts in the seats when they were winning in the Arenas days. WINNING changes everything. 

Fair enough. I do wonder however if it had been me who went through the same history as a white man, would I care about what the other people called their football team.... I think that would seem trivial to me. But we are all different. Respect.

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

There is a little known codicil in the Football Futures Constitution which gives the mods unlimited power to preserve order in times of board emergency. 

... little known, ha.