Redskins shareholders attempting to force name change

Matts4313

1 hour ago, THESKINSFAN21 said:

I don't think it should be changed. If we changed everything based on a minuscule percentage of people offended by it then there wouldn't be team names or mascots optional. There will always be someone offended by anything that's out there.

Unfortunately, the reason there's only a "minuscule percentage" of Native Americans is because we systematically wiped them out, committing genocide.

Now you're suggesting that because we were so successful in our heinous treatment of Native Americans, the "minuscule percentage" remaining shouldn't have a voice ? I can't abide by that sentiment

If you want to launch a crusade against political correctness, knock yourself out. But you're way off base on this one
Its time to change the name and the littlest telemarketer can profit off all the new merchandise -  after all $$ is the only language he speaks fluently

Edited by Shanedorf
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, THESKINSFAN21 said:

I don't think it should be changed. If we changed everything based on a miniscule percentage of people offended by it then there wouldn't be team names or mascots optional. There will always be someone offended by anything that's out there.

Well if people are getting offended by certain names on buildings, cities, counties, and/or statues/monuments and they are making changes shouldn't this be a change to? You want equality through out the nation and now people are listening to it then you better make it right and correct all the "racial" issues. You can not make changes because it is offensive to one race and not the other. So even if it is a small amount of people you still should make the change. If you still want an Indian type name then make it something similar to what the Chiefs or Indians named their teams that represents them without having to offend people. If you are worried about future issues that involve race then go with a team name and mascot that you couldn't offend. Find an animal that is from the area, or go with something that has something to do with the City. There is no reason to keep the name if it is constantly brought up. If anything Snyder should be all over promoting a new name as his team has been irrelevant for so long, and a new name and mascot can cause a rise in merchandise and marketing for the team if he played it right. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Washington Warriors

/Problem Solved

So you want to strip American Natives of team representation and hand it over to the French?

Should represent Native soldiers/fighters which wernt called "warriors".  They were Aummenuhkesuenomoh in the Algonquian language.

Washington Aummenuhkesuenomoh. Flows off the tongue like butter.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

So you want to strip American Natives of team representation and hand it over to the French?

That's not good faith American Native representation. It's representation of a ridiculous, over the top stereotype of Native American 'culture'. (And I use culture in quotes here not to insult real Native American culture, but to emphasize how poor and reductive the team depiction is.) Real Native American representation in football is done places like Florida State, and the Seminole tribe is proud of that association. That's not what anyone is talking about here.

And frankly, the difference between good and bad faith representation is night and day. Take a look at how FSU speaks of the Seminole tribe:

https://unicomm.fsu.edu/messages/relationship-seminole-tribe-florida/

Now contrast that with Dan Snyder.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

Do they even want representation in sports? 

The Powhatans do. Which is the only tribe this team represents in the first place. My usual Redskin Section rant. Its a Powhatan on the helmet. The word comes from the English landing in Jamestown not knowing how to communicate with the Powhatan tribespeople and sending word home of redskined people. What any other tribe wants is meaningless. Cause they were completely different nations entirely. Like with the Texans name. You dont need Russias blessing.

• Like 1

This thread title is inaccurate. It's not Redskins shareholders attempting to force a name change. It is some shareholders in various other companies requesting that they not do business with the team outside of a name change. That's quite a difference.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

That's not good faith American Native representation. It's representation of a ridiculous, over the top stereotype of Native American 'culture'. (And I use culture in quotes here not to insult real Native American culture, but to emphasize how poor and reductive the team depiction is.) Real Native American representation in football is done places like Florida State, and the Seminole tribe is proud of that association. That's not what anyone is talking about here.

And frankly, the difference between good and bad faith representation is night and day. Take a look at how FSU speaks of the Seminole tribe:

https://unicomm.fsu.edu/messages/relationship-seminole-tribe-florida/

Now contrast that with Dan Snyder.

The Powhatans want the name actually. NO OTHER TRIBE matters on the subject. Its not offensive to the Powhatan people because it was the original way the English referred to them when first landing in Jamestown.

Now I do think the name should be changed to Powhatan. To honor them and them only in a more proper way. But input about any other tribe should have no merit on the matter.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Here's the tough part. It's unfortunately because Native Americans make up, what, 1% of the US population? But if most of them find it reprehensible shouldn't that demand action? There's a reason a very specific group has an issue with it... you connect the dots from there.

From 2016:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/new-poll-finds-9-in-10-native-americans-arent-offended-by-redskins-name/2016/05/18/3ea11cfa-161a-11e6-924d-838753295f9a_story.html

Nine in 10 Native Americans say they are not offended by the Washington Redskins name, according to a new Washington Post poll that shows how few ordinary Indians have been persuaded by a national movement to change the football team’s moniker.

The survey of 504 people across every state and the District reveals that the minds of Native Americans have remained unchanged since a 2004 poll by the Annenberg Public Policy Center found the same result. Responses to The Post’s questions about the issue were broadly consistent regardless of age, income, education, political party or proximity to reservations.

From 2019:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/a-survey-explores-how-native-americans-feel-about-the-name-washington-redskins-no-its-not-that-survey-this-one-is-new/2019/08/09/e38553bc-b581-11e9-8949-5f36ff92706e_story.html

The majority of Native Americans still aren’t offended by the name of the Washington Redskins.

That finding is from a recent survey and — as you probably remember, even if you’ve tried to forget — falls in line with what a Washington Post poll found three years ago and an Annenberg Public Policy Center poll found 12 years before that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

The Powhatans want the name actually. NO OTHER TRIBE matters on the subject. Its not offensive to the Powhatan people because it was the original way the English referred to them when first landing in Jamestown.

Now I do think the name should be changed to Powhatan. To honor them and them only in a more proper way. But input about any other tribe should have no merit on the matter.

I mean there's A) no evidence that the Powhatan, which at this point are 8 distinct descendant tribes numbering less then 4,000, want to keep the name, and B) even if that's the case, Redskin is a racialized slur directed to all Native peoples now, regardless of historical origins. The idea that other Native tribes have no say is reductive at best. All of their voices matter.

2 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

I was just about to post something similar.  Personally, I think the name should be changed, but there is evidence out there that this is mostly non-Native American people deciding what's racist and offensive for Native Americans than it is Native Americans deciding what's racist and offensive for themselves.

If it were up to me, I'd change the name and be done with it.  But I think Snyder will hold out as long a possible.