NFL has cut preseason games from 4 to 2.

Trentwannabe

In different news related to the Bills, the Governor has announced as of right now NO fans this year at Bills games. Hopefully it changes but as every day goes on and more cases are popping up it looks like it will be harder and harder to have fans at the game. 

Two people I wanted gone this off season they may stick around are Trent Murphy and Lee Smith, both of those guys know the system and rookie espenesa may need time where Murphy gets lucky and sticks. I think it is a mistake long term because that cap savings could be used for a better purpose then mediocrity that trent brings to the field. 

Having this shortened could also mean that any guys that could have been potential additions that have a significant cap like Clowney or Walford will be completely off their radar  (unless injury pops up to current players)

3 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

In different news related to the Bills, the Governor has announced as of right now NO fans this year at Bills games. Hopefully it changes but as every day goes on and more cases are popping up it looks like it will be harder and harder to have fans at the game. 

Two people I wanted gone this off season they may stick around are Trent Murphy and Lee Smith, both of those guys know the system and rookie espenesa may need time where Murphy gets lucky and sticks. I think it is a mistake long term because that cap savings could be used for a better purpose then mediocrity that trent brings to the field. 

Having this shortened could also mean that any guys that could have been potential additions that have a significant cap like Clowney or Walford will be completely off their radar  (unless injury pops up to current players)

Doesn't sound like the US/Canadian border may open until next year so that could effect attendance as well if fans are allowed in.

I think a shorter camp/pre season could help EJ Gaines stay healthy and make an impact on the roster. Could cost Dane Jackson his spot. Also seems logical that most teams will keep 3QB's which will affect the back 7 spots of the roster.

44 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Doesn't sound like the US/Canadian border may open until next year so that could effect attendance as well if fans are allowed in.

I think a shorter camp/pre season could help EJ Gaines stay healthy and make an impact on the roster. Could cost Dane Jackson his spot. Also seems logical that most teams will keep 3QB's which will affect the back 7 spots of the roster.

Is Ej Gaines 1 year deal where he has a history of being injured a better roster spot then Johnson who is a rookie and coming up? I would be kind of upset that they let a potential gem walk to get a guy who we all know what he can and cannot do. 

2 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Is Ej Gaines 1 year deal where he has a history of being injured a better roster spot then Johnson who is a rookie and coming up? I would be kind of upset that they let a potential gem walk to get a guy who we all know what he can and cannot do. 

I mean it’s not like Jackson wouldn’t just go to the PS. It’s unlikely anyone would pick him up unless he had a monster Pre-season in which case he wouldn’t  be cut anyway.

When healthy, Gaines > Norman over the past few seasons.

18 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

I mean it’s not like Jackson wouldn’t just go to the PS. It’s unlikely anyone would pick him up unless he had a monster Pre-season in which case he wouldn’t  be cut anyway.

When healthy, Gaines > Norman over the past few seasons.

Im a long term piece guy, as much as I like to look at this upcoming season I want to make sure that this team isn't a 1 and done like the Jags were a couple of years ago. I want stability so when I look at the #2 CB I only see 3 1 year contracts but for this season I think their CB position is fairly deep and would think that Levi, Ej, and Josh end up making the roster in case something happens to Tre. Ej Gaines has hit a string of injuries and even if he has a good season he is going to do what he did a couple years ago by going out and finding the best deal he can get. Bills wanted him back but didnt want to pay him long term. It seems like most teams saw that too and only got a 1 year did with Cleveland. I think Norman is a bit overrated however he did have his solid years with McDermott so I expect him to be better then what he was in Washington but obviously not like he was in Carolina as age has definitely caught up to him. IMO I think Levi could be better then both of them but he is not consistent and once he hits free agency next offseason he is going to seek a team with the biggest pay day for him. So my reasoning as to why I would be upset if dane is cut is because he is really the only Corner that is locked in long term to be the #2 if he is that good. If he gets to the psquad I will be okay with that as they still can work with him and he could be brought up next year. My hope is he proves enough in camp to earn a roster spot and be something on this team, if not then next offseason they will have to seek a long term #2 corner while paying Tre top money. Bills the past couple of years had Levi to fall back on with a cheap price tag of ERFA, now his 3rd year will be up and they wont have that net anymore.  

7 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

Im a long term piece guy, as much as I like to look at this upcoming season I want to make sure that this team isn't a 1 and done like the Jags were a couple of years ago. I want stability so when I look at the #2 CB I only see 3 1 year contracts but for this season I think their CB position is fairly deep and would think that Levi, Ej, and Josh end up making the roster in case something happens to Tre. Ej Gaines has hit a string of injuries and even if he has a good season he is going to do what he did a couple years ago by going out and finding the best deal he can get. Bills wanted him back but didnt want to pay him long term. It seems like most teams saw that too and only got a 1 year did with Cleveland. I think Norman is a bit overrated however he did have his solid years with McDermott so I expect him to be better then what he was in Washington but obviously not like he was in Carolina as age has definitely caught up to him. IMO I think Levi could be better then both of them but he is not consistent and once he hits free agency next offseason he is going to seek a team with the biggest pay day for him. So my reasoning as to why I would be upset if dane is cut is because he is really the only Corner that is locked in long term to be the #2 if he is that good. If he gets to the psquad I will be okay with that as they still can work with him and he could be brought up next year. My hope is he proves enough in camp to earn a roster spot and be something on this team, if not then next offseason they will have to seek a long term #2 corner while paying Tre top money. Bills the past couple of years had Levi to fall back on with a cheap price tag of ERFA, now his 3rd year will be up and they wont have that net anymore.  

I think EJ, Josh and Wallace make the roster too.

I don’t think a 7th round rookie is the short term or long term answer at CB. Having no on field OTAs, mini camps or a regular training camp is going to hurt him. There’s now talk of no pre-season games at all. 

A year on the PS is probably the best thing for Jackson after an off season like this one.

If the league was smart they'd massively expand  PS space and also establish some form of "extended spring training" like element for the NFL where fringe guys could stay with an org or participating in an org under a developmental capacity. It's the perfect opportunity to backdoor something like that in, but I doubt they do it so this will just end up being a lost year for a lot of guys and some guys who probably would have made it with a pre-season and TC will end up never playing in the NFL.

On 7/3/2020 at 10:03 PM, Thelonebillsfan said:

If the league was smart they'd massively expand  PS space and also establish some form of "extended spring training" like element for the NFL where fringe guys could stay with an org or participating in an org under a developmental capacity. It's the perfect opportunity to backdoor something like that in, but I doubt they do it so this will just end up being a lost year for a lot of guys and some guys who probably would have made it with a pre-season and TC will end up never playing in the NFL.

I love the idea of an extended spring for the rookies or 2nd year guys. Even if it’s mostly classroom.

I don’t understand why they’re making rosters smaller right now. The difference from 90-80 or 75 is really nothing and I highly doubt it makes sizeable difference with an impact of COVID 

17 hours ago, Trentwannabe said:

I love the idea of an extended spring for the rookies or 2nd year guys. Even if it’s mostly classroom.

I don’t understand why they’re making rosters smaller right now. The difference from 90-80 or 75 is really nothing and I highly doubt it makes sizeable difference with an impact of COVID 

The theory is having 10-15 less people on the roster is not only to protect the players (mostly starters) and coaches from possibly getting it. As sad as it sound but less people less chance of spreading it to the starters. It is a crappy theory but wouldn't an organization or fan base be pissed that Josh Allen gets the virus because of a 9th WR? Also more players means coaches are spread thin of giving an evaluation, with a shortened offseason by not having OTAs and possibly preseason they do no get the time to watch the fringe players practice as well as assist with the starters, so reducing the roster amount by 10-15 gives the coaches more time to work on those players they feel the best at competing for a roster spot. At least that is my opinion of why they are okay with reducing it. Thats why I liked the AAF and XFL those fringe type players have tape to show to coaches and having a "minor" league or farm team gives them opportunity to scout them. I really wish that the Psquad players from every team come together and have a mini league after the season is over and before the new year starts they combine the psqaud players and make 3-4 teams and have a month season for them so that they can play ball and give them an opportunity to show case their talent to all 32 teams. 

8 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

The theory is having 10-15 less people on the roster is not only to protect the players (mostly starters) and coaches from possibly getting it. As sad as it sound but less people less chance of spreading it to the starters. It is a crappy theory but wouldn't an organization or fan base be pissed that Josh Allen gets the virus because of a 9th WR? Also more players means coaches are spread thin of giving an evaluation, with a shortened offseason by not having OTAs and possibly preseason they do no get the time to watch the fringe players practice as well as assist with the starters, so reducing the roster amount by 10-15 gives the coaches more time to work on those players they feel the best at competing for a roster spot. At least that is my opinion of why they are okay with reducing it. Thats why I liked the AAF and XFL those fringe type players have tape to show to coaches and having a "minor" league or farm team gives them opportunity to scout them. I really wish that the Psquad players from every team come together and have a mini league after the season is over and before the new year starts they combine the psqaud players and make 3-4 teams and have a month season for them so that they can play ball and give them an opportunity to show case their talent to all 32 teams. 

If Allen or any player gets COVID I won’t really care where it originated from. Whether it’s a starter who spread it or a 9th WR it will be a very unfortunate situation and the whole team will be at risk.

51 minutes ago, BillsGuy82 said:

I sure hope Buffalo doesnt get punished because NYC cant get its **** together. Still a couple months away but alot of Covid related issues in NY State will be determined by NYC not what's going on in Western NY

Well it seems like they are getting it together, from what I am hearing. Unfortunately my state Florida cant figure out what they are doing its a bunch of headless chickens running around, some stuff that opened just closed today in certain counties. Overall issue is all these politicians are not on the same page and they should be and those who have their stuff together are the ones who will be suffering for those who are clueless.

2 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

I sure hope Buffalo doesnt get punished because NYC cant get its **** together. Still a couple months away but alot of Covid related issues in NY State will be determined by NYC not what's going on in Western NY

If there is a season and if fans are allowed, it’ll still be minimal and probably just local season ticket holders.

Canadians won’t be able to go and NY is requiring at least a handful of states civilians to quarantine for 14 days before being allowed to go anywhere. 

12 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

I was reading that NYC was such a big issue because of 9/11. So many people ended up with respiratory illnesses after the world trade center collapsed that it made them more vulnerable to getting sick.Add on top of that NYC being a traveling hub for flights everywhere. This year sucks.