5-2 defense

Umbaugh21

2 hours ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

In many ways, the modern 3-4 can be similar to a 5-2 anyway with the way OLBs and edge rushers tend to come at you as basically converted DEs

That's not really the ”modern 3-4” the  traditional 3-4 was like a 5-2.

The modern 3-4 is more of a 4-2-5 at least half of the game bc teams are in nickel most of the game w/ 3 corners on the field at least half of the game bc most offenses have 3 WRs on the field most of the game in today's NFL.

Edited by turtle28

With our OL- I’d prefer we play our defense on offense too. 

I think our defense will be awesome- great talent, great coaching especially at the DC. Even with some holes, I think we are a top 20% defense- unfortunately we are a bottom 10% OL which means poor Haskins doesn’t really have a chance. On O- 2020 is a wasted year- but overall, it’s a year to change culture and build for the future 

On 7/2/2020 at 3:15 PM, MKnight82 said:

I would say no.  This is an antiquated scheme based on the modern passing game.  Teams throw on first down all of the time.  We would get picked apart.  

This. I simply don't think that the 5-2 is a viable defensive strategy in modern times because of this. The proliferation of the passing game, the use of speed....it'd be a disaster for a team trying to run this if you're looking at "traditional" big bodied defensive linemen (IE, the guys who are 280 pounds). 

As others have pointed out, you can view the 3-4 in similar kind of skillset, but a lot of those guys are built far more like traditional linebackers...you don't see many 3-4 OLBs who are 280 pounds, for example. A lot of those guys are 250 and under. Now, if you're going with that and just having them line up at the LOS, that certainly isn't all that difference but I'm assuming that the question was in regards to more traditional style linemen. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Forge said:

This. I simply don't think that the 5-2 is a viable defensive strategy in modern times because of this. The proliferation of the passing game, the use of speed....it'd be a disaster for a team trying to run this if you're looking at "traditional" big bodied defensive linemen (IE, the guys who are 280 pounds). 

As others have pointed out, you can view the 3-4 in similar kind of skillset, but a lot of those guys are built far more like traditional linebackers...you don't see many 3-4 OLBs who are 280 pounds, for example. A lot of those guys are 250 and under. Now, if you're going with that and just having them line up at the LOS, that certainly isn't all that difference but I'm assuming that the question was in regards to more traditional style linemen. 

Not that it’s a big difference, but I’d just say that most 3-4 OLBs are 260 & smaller, going down to the smaller ones which are probably 240 lbs. like I said, not a big difference between 250 & 260 pounds, but just wanted to point that out.

Just take our 3-4 OLBS of the entire decade, most were near 260 pounds, I don’t know if any of them were under 250 - definitely not the starters - but maybe some of the back ups.

If you look around the league, that’s the case for most of them. Most of them weigh between 250 & 270 lbs.

Edited by turtle28