What should be the new name of the Washington NFL team?

scar988

15 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

Interesting, I haven't read about communities disappearing due to mass depression or heart failure without the NBA/NHL playoffs or baseball. But I guess I'll have to be the one to take your word for it rather than what we've actually seen in our society since the start of the pandemic. 

In the face of social unrest and global health crisis, lack of sports doesn't seem like such a burden. 

Big part of people’s lives = / = literal survival. For instance, you might say your job is a big part of your life. Or maybe a hobby/activity. Or maybe a lifestyle, like fitness or art. But would you physically die of heart failure or depression if one of those things was unavailable to you? Likely not. 

Any other declarations you’d like to make on behalf of all people, while we’re on this page?

Edited by Yin-Yang

33 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Big part of people’s lives = / = literal survival. For instance, you might say your job is a big part of your life. Or maybe a hobby/activity. Or maybe a lifestyle, like fitness or art. But would you physically die of heart failure or depression if one of those things was unavailable to you? Likely not. 

Any other declarations you’d like to make on behalf of all people, while we’re on this page?

Yeah, gonna stick to sports being insignificant, sorry I hurt your feelings. Never said they weren't a big part of people's lives. So is their favorite tv show. Still insignificant to the struggles we see on a large scale and to those that we don't see on a large scale. 

It's also interesting that you're targeting the post I made in regards to someone's personal feeling in which I declared I hoped this difficult time had lead people to the same thoughts about sports being insignificant that I myself have been having. Nice. Only personal feelings are valid if you agree with them. Tight. 

Edited by Troy Brown

21 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

Yeah, gonna stick to sports being insignificant, sorry I hurt your feelings. Never said they weren't a big part of people's lives. So is their favorite tv show. Still insignificant to the struggles we see on a large scale and to those that we don't see on a large scale. 

Like trafficking, starvation, and human rights issues? Obviously. Like, a dunce raising his hand to say 2+2=4 in a college math class-level obvious. 

But again, if they’re so insignificant to people’s lives, it seems pretty childish to stand on the soap box for it to change. It makes zero sense to tell one group that this needs to change for their betterment and then tell another group that hey, sports are insignificant to you breathing, so deal with it. And I’m not even advocating to keep the name, it’s entirely outdated and insensitive.  

It's also interesting that you're targeting the post I made in regards to someone's personal feeling in which I declared I hoped this difficult time had lead people to the same thoughts about sports being insignificant that I myself have been having. Nice. Only personal feelings matter if you agree with them. Tight. 

Not even poking fun here, I’m not sure what you’re getting at with that...sentence.

Dude told you how he connected to the team. You felt the need to correct him and say that he should do more self reflecting so that he just might be able to come to the mighty revelation that you’ve managed to come to - the real truth. If that’s not grandstanding, then nothing is. Maybe it’s illogical to feel connected to the name more than the organization, but I’m not going to tell someone that how you feel connected to something is wrong, and if you think hard enough, you might be able to come to the conclusion that I was right all along.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

Dude, yes. I lived in Gold Canyon, AZ, which is basically the geographical hub for that chunk of history. To the west, you have the old mining town of Goldfield. The town runs right up to the base of the Superstitions. You have Peralta Canyon right there, and the mining town of Superior is just east. You can hike to the ruins of Pinal, as well. Anyways, you can still find old railroad spikes and fittings from one of the trains shipping gold that the Apaches destroyed. They literally took a train carrying a shipment of gold, in the possession of the Peralta family (one of the most powerful families in the region), threw it off the rails, destroyed it, took the gold, and killed everyone.

Camp Geronimo is a several days' ride by horseback east of where I used to live (or a few hours in a car), but "Top of the World" is in between Gold Canyon and Superior, and Oak Flats is just above Superior, and those two locations are where many Apaches ultimately threw themselves to their deaths, rather than submit to their enemies. In fact, this is what led to people yelling "Geronimo!" when they jump off of things. Around the area, you can find beads and whole chunks of obsidian, volcanic glass, which are referred to as Apache tears. Lore has it that they formed from the weeping of the mothers and children as their men were slaughtered and then killed themselves before submitting.

There is also evidence of raids all over the place. You can find old arrowheads and spearheads all over, as well as even old bullets if you dig down a bit in a lot of areas. They would wipe out whole caravans of people who rode by coach, as well. It's crazy, but these guys were ruthless and FIERCE.

Anyways, Native Americans being fierce warriors isn't just a stereotype. In fact, it's a major part of the culture for many tribes. Luiseños, for example, pride ourselves on both the ancient ways of the warrior-heroes as well as the ancient ways of great hunters and fishermen, from when we crossed the great sea and settled in the fertile shores. We still do ritualistic hunts every once in a while, though I haven't really done that since I was a young teenager since I've lived apart from the tribe since then. 

However, not all tribes even have a past that contains war. The Powhatans, for example, were largely a peaceful people and willing to negotiate with other nations. The Cherokee were/are an EXTREMELY docile people who basically just wanted to be friends with everyone and were unfairly slaughtered and exiled to lands far away, but still were because they were Native Americans. And it's crazy, because many people like Chief John Ross were actually SCOTTISH and were welcomed into the tribe and ALSO forced across untamed land, where many of the people died, dubbing it the "Trail of Tears." 

As for the mascot, I'd still be happy with Native American representation, but the Kansas City Chiefs also represent the indigenous population, and they're also generally respectful with both their mascot title and their representation. It's also a strong location, being in the great plains. An Iroquois-derived representation would be nice, but if we need one for them as well as one for the Lakota, why not have a Kwakhiutl, Inuit, or Pueblo-derived team and just cover all of our major bases?

I don't feel like we HAVE to have multiple teams representing us, so I'm open to really ANY mascot. However, if the Powhatans or even the whole Iroquois Macro Culture would be offended by a complete rebranding, the I don't know.

I seriously like the Pigskins, though. I mean, the colors wouldn't even really have to change at that point.

I guess they could completely change and I wouldn't have an issue.

If you made it this far in my post, congratulations!

Cool stuff. The San Geronimo festival on the Taos Pueblo Indian reservation Sep 30th each year is one of the most unique experiences I’ve ever been too. Definitely worth putting on your bucket list

21 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

Also, what on Earth is a Brown?

Paul Brown. Theyre basically like most things. Named after the founder. Ford, Dodge, Harley Davidson.

The Washington Snyders would be awesome. Dan should just say, "Screw you all, Ill name the team after me."

15 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Paul Brown. Theyre basically like most things. Named after the founder. Ford, Dodge, Harley Davidson.

The Washington Snyders would be awesome. Dan should just say, "Screw you all, Ill name the team after me."

And then their mascot can be a hard pretzel.

• Like 1