What should be the new name of the Washington NFL team?

scar988

4 hours ago, August4th said:

last time a team changed its name without it being part of moving to a new city? I know the steelers used to be known as the Pirates for a few yrs all the way back in the 30s. A few NBA teams have done it recently. Bullets to Wizards, Bobcats to Hornets and Hornets to Pelicans.

I haven't checked the other posts, so someone may have answered it, but humorously, it may have also been a Washington based team. The Bullets became the Wizards in the NBA

3 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Oilers to Titans. They were originally the Tennessee Oilers. Thats why we all know him as Tennessee Oiler legend Earl Campbell. Right @ET80? (ps, you are requested in discord)

This was part of a move to a new city, yeah? 

At what point is this a bigger issue for the NFL as a whole and become bigger than Dan Snyder?  If these companies are really pulling out money in all facets from Washington, doesn't this impact the sharing of said income league wide, reduce revenue, potentially impact NFLPA, etc? Obviously i know that a single team may just be a small piece of the overall pie, but I'm curious if that is an issue at all for others? I don't know that particular business side of the NFL all that well if someone wants to educate me? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DawgX said:

Washington Warriors. Sounds cooler than Redskins anyway.

Snyder has already copyrighted "Washington Warriors Football Team", so that's most likely what it will be.

5 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I'm so annoyed that a bunch of PC idiots are forcing a team to change its name. Dumb.

You may want to do your homework there, dude. These are major corporations putting pressure on Snyder. If you honestly think major corporations are "PC idiots", you need to get in touch with the times. 

4 hours ago, GordyTheGoffer said:

Is Washington Natives or Washington tribe really any better than Washington Redskins? Some people would still find it offesnive?

Yeah, those are better. Don't really flow off the tongue, though. I guess "Tribe" is okay...

4 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Name them after the nastiest thing in their area

The Washington Lobbyists

It would instantly be the most terrifying moniker in all of sports. Love it.

4 hours ago, SaveOurSonics said:

So I imagine we should be asking for widespread changes to the Cleveland Indians (yes, actually), Atlanta Braves, Chicago Blackhawks, Kansas City Chiefs, etc.? 

The Indians is sort of offensive, but nothing close to Redskins. As to the others...I mean...they're not even close to offensive as Redskins. 

Do you honestly need help with this?

1 hour ago, Slateman said:

Redtails was the name of the segregated WWII squadron, so we cant use it.

But it wasn't a derogatory term, at all. And the legacy of the Redtails is actually pretty damned cool. 

31 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Washington Blues

Washington Federals

Both names for Union Soldiers

Those are really good choices. Couldn't go wrong with either, really. (Although Federals is better, and doesn't rub up against St. Louis hockey.) 

Edited by Heinz D.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You're not wrong, but there's a MASSIVE difference between Chiefs and Redskins

There has been controversy over the Indians and Braves mascots as well....I think a lot of this stems from the time when Indians in general were deemed enemies of the US....So today they (mascots) may be considered as vanquished foes, and not as fierce warriors....I think it's pretty simple to see that this in itself wouldn't bode well with those of Indian descent....

11 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Snyder has already copyrighted "Washington Warriors Football Team", so that's most likely what it will be.

Ive not seen this anywhere. Do you have a link? 

I wonder what the NBA will think.

30 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

You may want to do your homework there, dude. These are major corporations putting pressure on Snyder. If you honestly think major corporations are "PC idiots", you need to get in touch with the times. 

Yeah, those are better. Don't really flow off the tongue, though. I guess "Tribe" is okay...

It would instantly be the most terrifying moniker in all of sports. Love it.

The Indians is sort of offensive, but nothing close to Redskins. As to the others...I mean...they're not even close to offensive as Redskins. 

Do you honestly need help with this?

But it wasn't a derogatory term, at all. And the legacy of the Redtails is actually pretty damned cool. 

Those are really good choices. Couldn't go wrong with either, really. (Although Federals is better, and doesn't rub up against St. Louis hockey.) 

It doesnt matter in today's culture.