What went wrong for Baker Mayfield, and can he be fixed? A progress report on the Browns QB

buno67

4 HC in 3 years with 3 separate offensive systems isn’t exactly setting any young QB up for success, but the talent he’s been given by management/the FO is also something most young QBs aren’t afforded. 

If we get 2018 Red Zone Baker and he can cut down on those bad INT, and shore up his footwork in the pocket, I’m extremely optimistic about 2020 and beyond. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

4 HC in 3 years with 3 separate offensive systems isn’t exactly setting any young QB up for success, but the talent he’s been given by management/the FO is also something most young QBs aren’t afforded. 

If we get 2018 Red Zone Baker and he can cut down on those bad INT, and shore up his footwork in the pocket, I’m extremely optimistic about 2020 and beyond. 

The talent on offense was supposed to be great last year but it wasn't. A lot of it had to do with the O-Line and OBJ being injured but we really didn't have much going on besides Chubb. No reliable receiver after Landry. Had a hodgepodge of tight ends.

If we get the same OBJ then it will again depend of if the O-Line can give the receivers enough time to get separation because they didn't win many one on one battles last year and they aren't especially gifted with speed bursts. I don't expect Landry to beat CBs regularly but we did expect it from OBJ.

We really should just run a Baker offense and then it won't matter how many different coaches and systems we go through. We need a fast paced offense with rhythm, we have a rhythm QB so take advantage of his positives.

I'm not worried about Baker unless he is still scared from last year's O-Line, then we may have a problem but he doesn't throw many wtf picks, they are usually off hands, a lb/s that tricked him or what looked like a bad route. A better offensive line will give him time to fix some of those that are entirely on him and we can't be as unlucky as last year with how many picks went off of receiver's hands.

• Like 1

It’s kinda interesting comparing Baker to his draft class. He’s been given better talent than Darnold and Rosen, so he’s outproduced them. However, he’s received worse coaching than Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson. Those 2 have outproduced Baker.

This sounds weird, but Baker has produced exactly as he should...? Which that’s not bad or good, just average.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

It’s kinda interesting comparing Baker to his draft class. He’s been given better talent than Darnold and Rosen, so he’s outproduced them. However, he’s received worse coaching than Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson. Those 2 have outproduced Baker.

This sounds weird, but Baker has produced exactly as he should...? Which that’s not bad or good, just average.

I think there's a bit more nuance in that he had one great season and one terrible season which when combined is average but his rookie year gives me more hope than if he had just been pretty meh for 2 years.  Lots of pressure for him to produce this year but luckily he seems to embrace that

• Like 1

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Statistically Baker has easily outproduced Allen, at least in passing. We'll see if teams play the Ravens offense smarter this year, if not it's going to be hard competing against a QB where they don't attempt to pressure you because it's just too easy.

• Like 1

Not sure how one can say he was average.

He was quite below average imho.

Also, if he doesn't buy-in to better coaching or reverts to default behavior when the pressure is on he might be better than last year but not great by any means.