When talking about QBs, would you consider “dual-threat” & “mobile” the same? Why or why not?

ClutchDJ

Was that "group of friends" reddit? Because this same topic was posted there about 45 minutes ago....

Generally I think they are interchangeable. I think some people you have to go specifically dual threat (Lamar) vs someone who is simply mobile (Dak, hes not nearly the athlete).

And then you get some people like Cam and young Vick. Those are straight running QBs. Their production (not ability) through the air is very lackluster. 

It really depends on what you consider a dual threat. Me personally, I don’t think they’re the same. My QB is mobile but I wouldn’t call him a dual threat. Same with Rodgers. Dual threat is some who I feel I can call run plays for like a RB rather than scrambling for a first down. I think Dak is a tricky one because you can argue either one. 

• Like 1

To me, mobile is more a guy who can get out of the pocket and buy time while looking to throw. Can run and pick up the first if given a lane. Where a dual threat can literally be a RB on any given down and break/force missed tackles in the open field. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

I think Dak is a tricky one because you can argue either one. 

He isnt really that tricky. He isnt a ridiculous athlete. He almost always sticks to throw until its an "all else failed" scenario. He just has really good vision as a runner and can keep it if he needs to. He gets maybe 5-10 designed QB keepers per a year. 

Dual threat/mobile, I’d use pretty interchangeably. Running QB is how I would describe a QB like Vick or Lamar, while a Watson or Wilson would be a mobile/dual threat QB. But it’s also linguistic judo, no right answers here.

Not necessarily.  A "dual-threat" quarterback is one who can beat you with his arm or by rushing the ball.  In my opinion, you can be a "mobile" quarterback without being able to run very well.  Guys like Dan Marino and Tom Brady were mobile because they were great at moving around in a shifting pocket and still being able to make a pass.  All they had to do was make a few steps in the right direction at the right time and keep their composure.   

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Was that "group of friends" reddit? Because this same topic was posted there about 45 minutes ago....

Generally I think they are interchangeable. I think some people you have to go specifically dual threat (Lamar) vs someone who is simply mobile (Dak, hes not nearly the athlete).

And then you get some people like Cam and young Vick. Those are straight running QBs. Their production (not ability) through the air is very lackluster. 

I don't know about that, Matts.  I bet Lamar (or anyone else for that matter) couldn't do this without ending up in the hospital with a serious hip injury.  :D

giphy.gif

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I don't know about that, Matts.  I bet Lamar (or anyone else for that matter) couldn't do this without ending up in the hospital with a serious hip injury.  :D

giphy.gif

The rumor is he got a latina supermodels phone number, but she would only date if he could dance. So he listening to this song and winged it on national TV.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

The rumor is he got a latina supermodels phone number, but she would only date if he could dance. So he listening to this song and winged it on national TV.

Hahaha!  Hey, whatever it takes whenever it comes to bagging a supermodel.  Can't say I blame him.  :D

• Like 1

Just now, Uncle Buck said:

Hahaha!  Hey, whatever it takes whenever it comes to bagging a supermodel.  Can't say I blame him.  :D

I might have made that story up completely. Its actually a warm up that a handful of QBs use. But I like my version better. 

• Like 2

i'm actually surprised at how many people see them as interchangeable. not that i have really strong feelings or think there's a right/wrong, but for whatever reason when i hear dual-threat i think a lamar jackson, mike vick, or college mariota type who gets a lot of designed QB keepers. when i hear mobile, i think of a mahomes, russell wilson type who can make some magic happen behind the line of scrimmage and occasionally take off for a good gain, but you're not necessarily designing up running plays for them.

• Like 1