Redskins will undergo thorough review of team name

Daboyle

47 minutes ago, Marcus21 said:

The timing couldn't be better for a name change. All of the casual fans are long gone by now. The brand has never been in a lower place. Two decades of dumpster fire  have left the brand and legacy in shambles. The fans that have stuck around the past 20 years are not going anywhere because of a name change.  Snyder desperately needs to get a stadium in DC in order to try and grow the brand back to respectability, and it was never going to happen with the name Redskins. I'm not saying he will be able to get the stadium done, but he at least has a chance with a new name.

I like Washington Warriors. He can keep all the logos and satisfy the cancel culture with the name change. Just my opinion!!!!

How could we possibly keep the logos? 

55 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

How could we possibly keep the logos? 

The actual Native Americans who are mad about the idea of natives and related imagery being used as a mascot/symbols would still be mad. They’re mad about the suggestion on Twitter right now, as we speak.

But I don’t think anyone actually cares about what they’re saying. Those folks don’t like the Chiefs or the Indians or those types of things either, and no one in the mainstream currently gives a frosty cold damn about their names.

The word “Redskin” is what’s motivating the people who actually have the influence to force a change. It’s the “bad word” that is outraging people. It doesn’t make much sense to change the name and keep the logo and all the other imagery — but I think that’s what the influential folks want. Nike isn’t pulling Chiefs gear and FedEx isn’t writing the Braves to ask for change  and Pepsi isn’t coming out against the Indians. They’ll still be tomahawk chopping and banging tribal drums and wearing war paint at their games long after the Redskins have become the Warthogs. The current climate, unfortunately, is less concerned with actually changing thoughts and mindsets than it is with demanding submission and compliance on narrow hot button issues. 

If I was a gambling man, I’d bet on Warriors becoming the name with at least some of the current imagery retained. 

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 4

The same people said they find "warriors" offensive too because it still may refer to Native Americans.  

I could live with it and replacing the logo with the spear...maybe.  This could be the thing that makes me give up football.  At the very least make football just another sport instead of my biggest entertainment passion.  Though I like Starless idea of The Snipers, lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brushmyhair said:

Washington Redtails: Named after the Tuskegee Airmen

Washington Reapers: Named after the Reaper drone

Washington Federalists: Named after exactly what it says, the Federalists

So the plan is to name it after a reminder of the segregation of the country by color

To name it after an endless war in the Middle East and a weapon system that has brought untold suffering and death to countless innocent civilians

To name it after the government

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Slateman said:

So the plan is to name it after a reminder of the segregation of the country by color

To name it after an endless war in the Middle East and a weapon system that has brought untold suffering and death to countless innocent civilians

To name it after the government

Sounds like you've covered it . Next subject please ! 9_9

Warriors? Does the NBA Golden State team currently catch any shi--err stuff because of the name ? AND I kinda hate copying another Pro team name . 

I can live with "Warriors" buy sure lacks for originality doncha think ?

6 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Warriors? Does the NBA Golden State team currently catch any shi--err stuff because of the name ? AND I kinda hate copying another Pro team name . 

Golden State also doesn’t have to deal with the former team name being the Redskins.  

6 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

I agree. Rolls off the tongue ok but it’s simple and boring. 

For the record I am for changing the name. 

But I'm curious if changing the name/logo/uniforms will hammer the fanbase of this franchise.  This organization has been one of the worst run professional sports franchises for the past 20 years.  A lot of the fanbase are people with memories of the Joe Gibbs glory days and Super Bowl titles.  I wonder if those fans will stay with the team after the change or move on to a new team.  

• Like 1

Anyway for me guys, if the name changes, I am probably done as a fan of the team.  It’s sad for me, considering my uncle played and coached for this team way back when.  The Redskins are in my blood, literally and figuratively.  I’ve grown up with this team with fond memories of attending games in person, even without great results on the field.  

Everything under Snyder’s ownership has continued to push me towards apathy, and this will be the final straw for me.  I just don’t have it in me to care anymore.  I will still watch football, and won’t pick a new favorite team, but I’m going to be out on the Redskins.  If that happens this year, I’ll finish the year as the forum mod and work with Thai to find a replacement, because you all deserve someone in the forum who cares for the team.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

But I'm curious if changing the name/logo/uniforms will hammer the fanbase of this franchise.  This organization has been one of the worst run professional sports franchises for the past 20 years.  A lot of the fanbase are people with memories of the Joe Gibbs glory days and Super Bowl titles.  I wonder if those fans will stay with the team after the change or move on to a new team.  

I’m not sure I will. I know that makes me sound like a coward but the Redskins are one of my passions in life. For how terrible they’ve been we’ve all still loved them throughout. I know people think it won’t change their fandom but I think it won’t really hit you until that new team runs on the field. It’s basically like the Browns becoming the Ravens only we aren’t moving. It’s a different team. 

1 hour ago, MKnight82 said:

I know quite a lot of people who would be done if the team changes the name.