Redskins will undergo thorough review of team name

Daboyle

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

The actual Native Americans who are mad about the idea of natives and related imagery being used as a mascot/symbols would still be mad. They’re mad about the suggestion on Twitter right now, as we speak.

But I don’t think anyone actually cares about what they’re saying. Those folks don’t like the Chiefs or the Indians or those types of things either, and no one in the mainstream currently gives a frosty cold damn about their names.

The word “Redskin” is what’s motivating the people who actually have the influence to force a change. It’s the “bad word” that is outraging people. It doesn’t make much sense to change the name and keep the logo and all the other imagery — but I think that’s what the influential folks want. Nike isn’t pulling Chiefs gear and FedEx isn’t writing the Braves to ask for change  and Pepsi isn’t coming out against the Indians. They’ll still be tomahawk chopping and banging tribal drums and wearing war paint at their games long after the Redskins have become the Warthogs. The current climate, unfortunately, is less concerned with actually changing thoughts and mindsets than it is with demanding submission and compliance on narrow hot button issues. 

If I was a gambling man, I’d bet on Warriors becoming the name with at least some of the current imagery retained. 

There might be some ray of hope (for those wanting to keep the name) in that statement they put out. Two things I noticed immediately about the statement:

1) The word Washington Redskins was used an awful lot in that statement where the words ,"the team" could've been used instead.

2) Extensive Review/Exhaustive Review is DC doublespeak . There's no time frame listed and it could be just a way to play out the clock on this.

Of course, it's entirely possible I'm wrong and they are trying to review and change before the new season starts.

You're an attorney, what does the release say to you? 

22 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

Call me stubborn but I still don’t think it’s changing. Did you see how many times “Redskins” was in that press release?

Sorry Schefty but it ain’t happening. 

I did immediately. Could've gone with words "the team" in most of the places they inserted the name. 

The Washington Warriors as has been suggested for years isn't too bad imo. They can keep the Native American theme and similar logo unlike with the other names being thrown around which would need a complete overhaul to the the team's image.

4 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

There might be some ray of hope (for those wanting to keep the name) in that statement they put out. Two things I noticed immediately about the statement:

1) The word Washington Redskins was used an awful lot in that statement where the words ,"the team" could've been used instead.

2) Extensive Review/Exhaustive Review is DC doublespeak . There's no time frame listed and it could be just a way to play out the clock on this.

Of course, it's entirely possible I'm wrong and they are trying to review and change before the new season starts.

You're an attorney, what does the release say to you? 

I felt the same way when I read the Redskins statement Thai. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

Call me stubborn but I still don’t think it’s changing. Did you see how many times “Redskins” was in that press release?

Sorry Schefty but it ain’t happening. 

When the sponsors stop giving money, itll change. When they threaten to no longer give NFL teams money, the owners will force the change.

4 hours ago, Marcus21 said:

The timing couldn't be better for a name change. All of the casual fans are long gone by now. The brand has never been in a lower place. Two decades of dumpster fire  have left the brand and legacy in shambles. The fans that have stuck around the past 20 years are not going anywhere because of a name change.  Snyder desperately needs to get a stadium in DC in order to try and grow the brand back to respectability, and it was never going to happen with the name Redskins. I'm not saying he will be able to get the stadium done, but he at least has a chance with a new name.

I like Washington Warriors. He can keep all the logos and satisfy the cancel culture with the name change. Just my opinion!!!!

Wanna bet?

It's Braves or I'm gone...

I'm 47 & been a fan since I was 5 years old.

I've studied football history all my life & the team name is a huge reason I've maintained my loyalty after 20+ years of a dumpster fire.

I don't like the name Braves, but it's the only name that will keep me on board.

Boston Braves (1932)

Boston Redskins 

Washington Redskins

"Washington Braves" (2020)

2 hours ago, Slateman said:

So the plan is to name it after a reminder of the segregation of the country by color

To name it after an endless war in the Middle East and a weapon system that has brought untold suffering and death to countless innocent civilians

To name it after the government

This sounds like something more along the lines of what you don't want

Washington team names are typically related to American Symbolism and strength. Except the Wizards