How would you rank the QBs in each division?

ClutchDJ

@HTTRDynasty I like Kollman's videos and I'm looking forward to his Daniel Jones analysis. 

That being said, these analysis videos typically consist of him picking out 5 or so plays that fit some sort of narrative, and reviewing them.  But how about the other 500 plays?  It would be nice if there was some sort of objective way to measure ALL of a quarterbacks plays?  ... I think you know where I'm going with this.

EcaEZ7_WAAAI9jw?format=jpg&name=medium

Just now, Gmen said:

@HTTRDynasty I like Kollman's videos and I'm looking forward to his Daniel Jones analysis. 

That being said, these analysis videos typically consist of him picking out 5 or so plays that fit some sort of narrative, and reviewing them.  But how about the other 500 plays?  It would be nice if there was some sort of objective way to measure ALL of a quarterbacks plays?  ... I think you know where I'm going with this.

EcaEZ7_WAAAI9jw?format=jpg&name=medium

You found an objective way to measure NFL offenses, not QB performance. EPA does not isolate QB performance and CPOE does not account for drops. 

Kollman, PFF and a host of other respected analysts agree on Jones vs Haskins. But keep your comfort in dumbed down stats and public opinion.  We’ll see this season ;).

I think Kollmann is overrated @Gmen. He's too hype driven and he gets a lot VERY wrong. He was convinced Hackenberg was going to make it, that Mallett was ready to be a franchise QB, that Terrell Pryor was going to go OFF on the league....and there's this;

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I think Kollmann is overrated @Gmen. He's too hype driven and he gets a lot VERY wrong. He was convinced Hackenberg was going to make it, that Mallett was ready to be a franchise QB, that Terrell Pryor was going to go OFF on the league....and there's this;

Any analyst is going to get some wrong.  There is a lot he got VERY right too, like ranking Eddie Jackson as the second best FS before the draft and had him as a 1st round pick.  I'd put his track record up against yours any day tbh.

And that video is still apt, btw.

Edited by HTTRDynasty

22 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

He also wasn't particularly hot on Mahomes IIRC.  I don't take anyone's opinions as gospel, but I find Kollman's videos entertaining at the minimum. 

To your point about him claiming before the draft that the Giants cannot pass on Haskins, you have to assume he's going into his analysis on Daniel Jones with a bias. 

21 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Any analyst is going to get some wrong.  There is a lot he got VERY right too, like ranking Eddie Jackson as the second best FS before the draft and had him as a 1st round pick.  I'd put his track record up against yours any day tbh.

And that video is still apt, btw.

I like his analysis and how he spots certain plays - Of course you'd take his analysis against mine - he's a paid analyst, and he's awesome at spotting patterns and strategy. I'd put that up against EVERY screaming head on ESPN or wherever. And the above was nothing against Haskins, so don't get worked up.

However, he needs to lay off hype and letting his excitement take over. here's some more...

"Isaiah Oliver is the best CB in the draft" , Got 5 out of 11 in playoff picks 2019, Called NFC 19 as (Eagles, Rams, Bears, Saints, Lions, Panthers - 2 out of 6), had PIT and CLE over BAL, Referred to Jordan Howard as the next big thing at RB. Not hating on BK, I watch and love his videos. 

Btw - do you not think his Haskins comp of a less-mobile hybrid of Goff and Jimmy G a little....disrespectful? 

Edited by Hunter2_1

1 minute ago, Hunter2_1 said:

However, he needs to lay off hype and letting his excitement take over. here's some more...

I get what you're saying, but he wouldn't be profitable on Youtube if he didn't express excitement in his videos.  If that's the biggest nitpick we can lay at his feet, I'm sure he'd take it.

AFCN - Lamar Jackson, Ben Roethlisberger, Baker Mayfield, Joe Burrow: Big Ben may have something left in the tank, Baker has plenty to prove still, and Burrow is a rookie.

AFCE - Cam Newton, Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, Tua Tagovailoa: This one is all over the place, but Newton has proven more than either Darnold or Allen.

AFCS - Deshaun Watson, Ryan Tannehill, Philip Rivers, Gardner Minshew: I think Tannehill will probably be better for the rest of Rivers' career, and Minshew I don't have real faith in.

AFCW -Patrick Mahomes, Drew Lock, Derek Carr, Justin Herbert: I liked what Lock looked like at the end of the season, and he now has serious weapons.

NFCN -Aaron Rodgers, Matthew Stafford, Kirk Cousins, Mitch Trubisky: I was very wrong about Trubisky, and I've never been high on Cousins.

NFCE -Carson Wentz, Dak Prescott, Daniel Jones, Dwayne Haskins: I liked Haskins as a prospect more than Jones, but Jones has looked better in the NFL so far.

NFCS -Drew Brees, Matt Ryan, Tom Brady, Teddy Bridgewater: I loved Bridgewater as a prospect, but he hasn't stuck it out well in the NFL.  I don't think Brady has much left in the tank, but Brees still does.  If Brady is slightly better than a shadow of his former self, he's No. 2.

NFCW - Russell Wilson, Jimmy Garropolo, Kyler Murray, Jared Goff: The last three are hard to sort out, but Garropolo looked good more recently.  I'm still not on the Murray hype train, but he seems like he'll be a competent QB.  Goff is looking more like he flashed in the pan.

38 minutes ago, Gmen said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuMb2HaGjb8

6:25 mark

"I had Mahomes pegged as a fourth round talent"

There's a take that aged like milk

I mean, I had Mahomes as a late prospect as well.  Didn't see an air raid guy finally making the leap.  Oh well.

Newton, Ryan and Goff appear to be the most contentious.

Newton has been ranked from 1st - 4th

Ryan has been ranked 1st - 3rd

Goff has been ranked 2nd - 4th 

Interesting. I get why Cam is all over the shop - it could be 2018 first half Cam, or broken Cam. But I didn't expect the division on Ryan and Goff. 

4 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Newton, Ryan and Goff appear to be the most contentious.

Newton has been ranked from 1st - 4th

Ryan has been ranked 1st - 3rd

Goff has been ranked 2nd - 4th 

Interesting. I get why Cam is all over the shop - it could be 2018 first half Cam, or broken Cam. But I didn't expect the division on Ryan and Goff. 

Goff is based on two things: 1) his superbowl appearance and 2) his rookie season. It seems to bear no weight that since his first full season the Rams have put the third most points on the board with the 4th most offensive yards. Goff himself has thrown for the 4th most passing yards in the same amount of time. Not to mention that he's been to two pro-bowls, been to a super bowl and won an NFC Championship. Not many players can say that, especially so early on into their career.

He went 9-7 last season, actually only a missed FG from taking the Rams to the play-offs abvove the Seahawks last year, with one of the worst running games and offensive lines in the entire NFL. A lot of QBs who have achieved much less have come away with a far more praise. 

As for Ryan, I have no idea. I would definitely take him over Brady and Brees at this stage of their career. He seems to be fairly consistent and has been throughout his career. He hasn't had a winning season in the last two years, perhaps that's the reason? 

Edited by DerbyRam
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DerbyRam said:

Goff is based on two things: 1) his superbowl appearance and 2) his rookie season.

Goff was bad last year.  He had two good seasons playing with a great offensive line, running back, and one of the best receiving corps in the NFL.  He faced some adversity last year, and he fell flat.

1 hour ago, Gmen said:

Goff was bad last year.  He had two good seasons playing with a great offensive line, running back, and one of the best receiving corps in the NFL.  He faced some adversity last year, and he fell flat.

We were a missed FG from finishing above the Seahawks and going to the playoffs. As you said, this was with one of the worst offensive lines and running games in the NFL. A bottom half defence and no probowl receivers or TEs to call upon.

He was third in passing yards in the league, whilst being constantly blitzed behind a bad line, but still in the end got us to a point where Zuerlein just needed to nail a FG to put us in the post season. 

He did have bad moments, but he had to put the team on his back and he nearly carried us to the post-season and would’ve done if not for bad special teams play. 

19 minutes ago, DerbyRam said:

We were a missed FG from finishing above the Seahawks and going to the playoffs. As you said, this was with one of the worst offensive lines and running games in the NFL. A bottom half defence and no probowl receivers or TEs to call upon.

He was third in passing yards in the league, whilst being constantly blitzed behind a bad line, but still in the end got us to a point where Zuerlein just needed to nail a FG to put us in the post season. 

He did have bad moments, but he had to put the team on his back and he nearly carried us to the post-season and would’ve done if not for bad special teams play. 

The Rams had 3 receivers last year that would have been the #1 option on the Giants.  And the Giants haven't had a good offensive line in over a decade. Goff isn't going to get much sympathy from me.

• Like 2