Browns TE David Njoku requests trade

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

This is kind of the stupidest story of the offseason

You realize the Texans traded DeAndre Hopkins for David Johnson and a 2nd, right? 

I think that story pretty much wins...

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Danand said:

Ryan Kerrigan is really good. Njoku is talented at best. I think at straight up trade is an insult on Kerrigan.

Boldin got traded for a sixth. Calais Campbell got traded for a fifth. Jurrell Casey was traded for a seventh. Dunbar got a fifth while Sanu got a second. Marcus Peters got less in return than Gareon Conley. Clowney got spare parts while Duke Johnson got a third. 

Talent is not always (and is probably not often) the driving force in trade value

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MonserinNC said:

This dude demanded a trade over the team acquiring Austin Hooper?? haha....jeeezz

Hooper got paid a lot of money, so he's going to be very involved in the Browns offense and stealing targets away from Njoku.

Njoku, Engram, Howard were all enticing TE prospects due to their size / athleticism.  I think it's fair to call all three disappointments so far.  That's not to say that they can't turn it around given the right opportunity, like Ebron on the Colts.  But if you draft a TE in the first round, you expect a probowler.

Kerrigan will be 32.

Njoku will be 23.

The Browns have a lot of depth/talent at TE.

Washington has a lot of depth/talent at the EDGE.

Kerrigans cap number is twice Njoku’s.

Njoku has 2 years left on his deal and is more talented than anyone Washington has at that position.

I don’t know how you could argue that’s a bad deal for Washington.

If he were 2-4 years younger, I’d love that trade for Cleveland, but as of now I would pass.

2 hours ago, MonserinNC said:

This dude demanded a trade over the team acquiring Austin Hooper?? haha....jeeezz

Well Hooper is a better overall TE than Njoku. We have seen Hooper produce in offenses that don’t heavily rely on TE use. He should have a huge year with the Browns because their offense is going to be utilizing the TE a lot. 

Njoku wants be a #1 TE not a #2. 

prolly wants to get to a new team sooner rather than later so he can try and establish himself to earn a better contract. He has 2 yrs left on his deal. Get moved this offseason. Learn and grow with the team and than his contract year he could maybe break out.

i think with the browns signing Hooper and drafting Bryant, he sees the writing on the wall

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Boldin got traded for a sixth. Calais Campbell got traded for a fifth. Jurrell Casey was traded for a seventh. Dunbar got a fifth while Sanu got a second. Marcus Peters got less in return than Gareon Conley. Clowney got spare parts while Duke Johnson got a third. 

Hayden Hurst got a 2nd (same one that got moved for Sanu). Former first round pick who's 3 years older than Njoku and less production.

Who knows how this works.

Edited by wackywabbit

8 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Hayden Hurst got a 2nd (same one that got moved for Sanu). Former first round pick who's 3 years older than Njoku and less production.

Who knows how this works.

Yup. Trade value not always determined by talent

3 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Kerrigan turns 32 in August. 

So that means he’s got maybe 1-2 years left.

Why?  Kerrigan's game is based on his bull rush.  He takes obsessively good care of his body.  I see no reason he can't play until he's 36+.

14 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

Logan Thomas, wow. Haven’t heard that name in what seems like forever. What’s been the deal with him? Feels like he made that QB->TE transition years ago and typically those players either wash out or produce very quickly...he been just a depth guy for you all?

He was on the Lions last season.  We just signed him in FA.  Projected to be either TE1 or TE2.

9 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Why?  Kerrigan's game is based on his bull rush.  He takes obsessively good care of his body.  I see no reason he can't play until he's 36+.

Rare for a pass rusher, though not impossible. It didn't help that he's coming off the worst year of his career though