Browns TE David Njoku requests trade

RaidersAreOne

I'd trade Kerrigan for him straight up, considering his youth/potential and our need at TE.  

For the Browns, Kerrigan has the type of game that would translate well to being paired with Garrett, and he also has the type of game that will age well.

• Like 1

If the Browns can get a proven player at LB/EDGE, I’d assume they’d do it. He had a promising 2018 and missed almost all of 2019 with a broken wrist and concussion, and he’s 23. Not sure what type of return they’ll get. He’s a viable Red Zone threat but has medical questions and drop issues. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I'd trade Kerrigan for him straight up, considering his youth/potential and our need at TE.  

For the Browns, Kerrigan has the type of game that would translate well to being paired with Garrett, and he also has the type of game that will age well.

Interesting trade offer. As a neutral observer, I think it makes sense to both teams

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

3rd or a 4th seems pretty steep. This dude has loads of potential but so far his career has been ish and a half. Dude has never averaged more than 40 yards a game in a single season. His career yards per game is 29.6. The guy is not a game changer, he is barely a tool in the offense. Can he be? Maybe, talent is there. So far though he hasnt proven anything. I think a 5th and getting a 7th back is the best the Browns can hope for if they do pull the trigger.

I think based on the flashes he has shown and him being very affordable over the next two years, he'll pull a fourth back. I'd give a fourth up for him.

Those of you wanting him for 2 TE sets, that’s exactly what the Browns planned on/wanted and why they picked up his 5th year option on his contract. Clearly Njoku wants out and wants to go to a place where he will have the opportunity to start/not have competition.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Those of you wanting him for 2 TE sets, that’s exactly what the Browns planned on/wanted and why they picked up his 5th year option on his contract. Clearly Njoku wants out and wants to go to a place where he will have the opportunity to start/not have competition.

Maybe he didn't like that they added two starting TEs this off-season.

4 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

Maybe he didn't like that they added two starting TEs this off-season.

Howard isn’t ready to jump in and start. He needs to fill out a bit IMO. Stefanski has double TE as the staple of his offense as well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Howard isn’t ready to jump in and start. He needs to fill out a bit IMO. Stefanski has double TE as the staple of his offense as well.

I really like Harrison Bryant as a starting TE as soon as this year.

"Harrison Bryant:
I'm not worried about his size at all. If you like him, you go based off of his tape and what he demonstrated in Pre-Draft workouts, not his measurables.

He abused people in the run game and in pass pro at the Senior Bowl, and reportedly did the same in practices. He did that a lot at FAU, but there were concerns about the level of competition.

As far as his receiving ability goes, he's one of the most natural receivers in this class, regardless of position. He CONSTANTLY finds soft spots in the zone and tempos his routes excellently through zone coverage with almost a sixth sense of where defenders are in their drops or if they're breaking on him, even if they're behind him. His contact balance is excellent. He repeatedly doesn't get knocked down by contact, even when players come flying in and smash into him, and he forces defenders to drag him down every time he has the ball. He's excellent at tracking the ball, and has an uncanny level of awareness where it's almost like he can see the future. I guess the closest player I can compare that to is like with Cooper Kupp where it's almost like he knows exactly what Goff is doing, where the other receivers are, and where Goff is going with the football before he throws it. This enables guys like Bryant and Kupp to be in position when the play breaks down, when other players fumble, or if a pass deflects off of someone's hands (I'm thinking of Kupp's legendary touchdown in like his first game where the ball bounced off of Woods' hands at the goal-line and Kupp made a sliding catch off the deflection for the TD. Also, Bryant doesn't get bothered by hands-y DBs. There are numerous times on his tape where he's getting interfered with and still makes the catch, almost as if the DB isn't there in the first place. I think this happened against Southern Miss, but on one play he was in the flat in the red-zone and a linebacker came HURTLING in to hit him before the ball even reached him... The dude bounced off and ended up needing to leave the game because he injured his shoulder. By the way, Bryant caught the ball and took it in for a TD. There was also this play, don't remember EXACTLY who it was against, maybe Marshall, but it reminded me of that Adrian Peterson run in the 2008 season where he dragged like six guys twenty yards, or the Gronk TD in 2014 that was basically the same thing. Harrison Bryant dragged like six defenders like ten yards and eventually there were like nine defenders who dragged him down. I don't care if these are small school guys with bad instincts and tackling problems, or smaller frames, or whatever. I don't care about Combine measurables. It takes INSANE lower body strength and excellent balance to take that many hits and continue dragging people. And it's not just that freak play. Bryant drags people and powers through contact all the time. It's all over his film. He has very soft hands and, like I said, he's a pro at tracking the ball. He's also not afraid of getting beaten up while making the catch. His RAC skills are really among the best in the class, and he really makes you work to get him down. He's fast enough to create separation. His hips are very fluid, as he pivots very well and fools safeties on his route with his ability to whip them around. He's not really a side-stepper with how he moves, he doesn't juke people out of their socks, and he's always running straight. That could play into his lack of an impressive 3-cone because he doesn't really side-step or move that way. However, he can change the way that he's facing so quickly that I don't really think it matters. It's hard to explain, but yeah, he has very fluid hips, and he knows how to make sure that he's always running straight while still changing direction. 

So let's talk about his body and get that out of the way. He's 6'5", and in the 240s, so while he's thin, he certainly has room for growth. He has t-rex arms at 30 inches, which were the shortest measured among TEs at the Combine. However, he hasn't been caught reaching very often in the blocking game thanks to constantly-moving feet, and in the passing game length has hardly been an issue, because he is constantly making a play on the ball and beating defenders to it, and he is great at boxing people out and keeping his large frame in the way. As far as his track speed in shorts goes, it's good, but not elite. He didn't look like someone who was natural coming out of the start for his 40, but that's entirely understandable with his frame and lack of track experience. This guy is a pure football player. He doesn't really lose any speed in pads. His 3-cone wasn't very good, but it's fair to point out that he looked INCREDIBLY SMOOOOOTH once the football drills started. His gauntlet was probably the best at the Combine. He tracked the football very quickly and made catches outside his frame. He also was like the best performer in the blocking sled drills, with a real noticeable pop and great timing overall with how quickly he moved that sled. That feeds into the reports that he was the most impressive TE in the blocking game at the Senior Bowl."

TE1 in the draft this year, IMO.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

I really like Harrison Bryant as a starting TE as soon as this year.

"Harrison Bryant:
I'm not worried about his size at all. If you like him, you go based off of his tape and what he demonstrated in Pre-Draft workouts, not his measurables.

He abused people in the run game and in pass pro at the Senior Bowl, and reportedly did the same in practices. He did that a lot at FAU, but there were concerns about the level of competition.

As far as his receiving ability goes, he's one of the most natural receivers in this class, regardless of position. He CONSTANTLY finds soft spots in the zone and tempos his routes excellently through zone coverage with almost a sixth sense of where defenders are in their drops or if they're breaking on him, even if they're behind him. His contact balance is excellent. He repeatedly doesn't get knocked down by contact, even when players come flying in and smash into him, and he forces defenders to drag him down every time he has the ball. He's excellent at tracking the ball, and has an uncanny level of awareness where it's almost like he can see the future. I guess the closest player I can compare that to is like with Cooper Kupp where it's almost like he knows exactly what Goff is doing, where the other receivers are, and where Goff is going with the football before he throws it. This enables guys like Bryant and Kupp to be in position when the play breaks down, when other players fumble, or if a pass deflects off of someone's hands (I'm thinking of Kupp's legendary touchdown in like his first game where the ball bounced off of Woods' hands at the goal-line and Kupp made a sliding catch off the deflection for the TD. Also, Bryant doesn't get bothered by hands-y DBs. There are numerous times on his tape where he's getting interfered with and still makes the catch, almost as if the DB isn't there in the first place. I think this happened against Southern Miss, but on one play he was in the flat in the red-zone and a linebacker came HURTLING in to hit him before the ball even reached him... The dude bounced off and ended up needing to leave the game because he injured his shoulder. By the way, Bryant caught the ball and took it in for a TD. There was also this play, don't remember EXACTLY who it was against, maybe Marshall, but it reminded me of that Adrian Peterson run in the 2008 season where he dragged like six guys twenty yards, or the Gronk TD in 2014 that was basically the same thing. Harrison Bryant dragged like six defenders like ten yards and eventually there were like nine defenders who dragged him down. I don't care if these are small school guys with bad instincts and tackling problems, or smaller frames, or whatever. I don't care about Combine measurables. It takes INSANE lower body strength and excellent balance to take that many hits and continue dragging people. And it's not just that freak play. Bryant drags people and powers through contact all the time. It's all over his film. He has very soft hands and, like I said, he's a pro at tracking the ball. He's also not afraid of getting beaten up while making the catch. His RAC skills are really among the best in the class, and he really makes you work to get him down. He's fast enough to create separation. His hips are very fluid, as he pivots very well and fools safeties on his route with his ability to whip them around. He's not really a side-stepper with how he moves, he doesn't juke people out of their socks, and he's always running straight. That could play into his lack of an impressive 3-cone because he doesn't really side-step or move that way. However, he can change the way that he's facing so quickly that I don't really think it matters. It's hard to explain, but yeah, he has very fluid hips, and he knows how to make sure that he's always running straight while still changing direction. 

So let's talk about his body and get that out of the way. He's 6'5", and in the 240s, so while he's thin, he certainly has room for growth. He has t-rex arms at 30 inches, which were the shortest measured among TEs at the Combine. However, he hasn't been caught reaching very often in the blocking game thanks to constantly-moving feet, and in the passing game length has hardly been an issue, because he is constantly making a play on the ball and beating defenders to it, and he is great at boxing people out and keeping his large frame in the way. As far as his track speed in shorts goes, it's good, but not elite. He didn't look like someone who was natural coming out of the start for his 40, but that's entirely understandable with his frame and lack of track experience. This guy is a pure football player. He doesn't really lose any speed in pads. His 3-cone wasn't very good, but it's fair to point out that he looked INCREDIBLY SMOOOOOTH once the football drills started. His gauntlet was probably the best at the Combine. He tracked the football very quickly and made catches outside his frame. He also was like the best performer in the blocking sled drills, with a real noticeable pop and great timing overall with how quickly he moved that sled. That feeds into the reports that he was the most impressive TE in the blocking game at the Senior Bowl."

TE1 in the draft this year, IMO.

Eh, I think he got overrated by the draftnik community. He's solid all around, but I saw some wild takes on him. Think Devin Asiasi has more upside and was a better prospect. Bryant is a quality blocker and receiver, but I don't see any elite part of his skill-set.

EDIT: As a comparison, I think he's comparable to Cameron Brate as a receiver, but Bryant is also a solid to good inline blocker.

Another EDIT: On second thought, Tyler Higbee might be the best comparison for Bryant's all around game.

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 3