Browns TE David Njoku requests trade

RaidersAreOne

3 minutes ago, SpacemanSpiff said:

Cam's infatuation with throwing to tight ends couldn't POSSIBLY have ANYTHING to do with the fact that the best receiver of his tenure was a 40-year-old Ted Ginn and his tight end was a future Hall of Famer, right?

You pretty much just described the first 10 years of Donovan McNabbs career, minus a 20 game teaser with TO.

I'm assuming you forgot the 47 games played with the real potential HOF candidate in Steve Smith? Or does he not count?

32 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

You pretty much just described the first 10 years of Donovan McNabbs career, minus a 20 game teaser with TO.

I'm assuming you forgot the 47 games played with the real potential HOF candidate in Steve Smith? Or does he not count?

PSH. WHAT A SCRUB xD

..... I totally forgot.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

He’s the backup tight end at best, I don’t think that incentivizes him to stay in Cleveland or the Browns to keep him. Producing as a backup won’t give him the payday I’m sure he wants. And having Njoku as the TE2 or TE3 isn’t really worth much either, I think a 4th or 5th would be fair.

If the Browns could actually get a 4th, then I suppose they'd have to consider it. An appropriate player for player swap would be good, too--provided they actually find somebody that's still high on Njoku's potential. 

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

That's about as applicable a title as the Hot Boyz nickname in Dallas. 🍺

I mean, in Higbee's last 5 games, he had 48 receptions for 502 yards. Over Michael Thomas' last 5 games, he had 45 receptions for 483 yards. Over George Kittle's last 5 games, he had 33 receptions for 383 yards. Travis Kelce had 34 receptions for 396 yards over his last five games. Over DeAndre Hopkins' last five games, he had 29 receptions for 420 yards. Over Julio Jones's last 5 games, he had 40 receptions for 509 yards. Over Dallas Goedert's last 5 games, he had 27 receptions for 318 yards. 🍺

So, over his last 5 games, Rams TE Tyler Higbee outproduced:

Record-setting All-Pro WR Michael Thomas 

All-Pro WR DeAndre Hopkins

All-Pro TE Travis Kelce

All-Pro TE George Kittle

He had 8 more receptions than All-Pro WR Julio Jones, and only 7 less yards. Julio was the league's yardage leader over that span, BTW. 

So, uh... Lil' Baby Gronk has awakened, and he will to steal your defense's soul.

Edited by HoboRocket
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

I mean, in Higbee's last 5 games, he had 48 receptions for 502 yards. Over Michael Thomas' last 5 games, he had 45 receptions for 483 yards. Over George Kittle's last 5 games, he had 33 receptions for 383 yards. Travis Kelce had 34 receptions for 396 yards over his last five games. Over DeAndre Hopkins' last five games, he had 29 receptions for 420 yards. Over Julio Jones's last 5 games, he had 40 receptions for 509 yards. Over Dallas Goedert's last 5 games, he had 27 receptions for 318 yards. 🍺

So, over his last 5 games, Rams TE Tyler Higbee outproduced:

Record-setting All-Pro WR Michael Thomas 

All-Pro WR DeAndre Hopkins

All-Pro TE Travis Kelce

All-Pro TE George Kittle

He had 8 more receptions than All-Pro WR Julio Jones, and only 7 less yards. Julio was the league's yardage leader over that span, BTW. 

So, uh... Lil' Baby Gronk has awakened, and he will to steal your defense's soul.

vscherrypick.gif.cf.gif

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, SweetFancyMoses said:
4 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

That's about as applicable a title as the Hot Boyz nickname in Dallas. 🍺

No Hot Boyz is the dumbest nickname ever.  Only thing more embarrassing than hot boys is eating a w.

Oh I agree, but Higbee being the next Gronk, it's up there as well.

49 minutes ago, SweetFancyMoses said:

I mean, in Higbee's last 5 games, he had 48 receptions for 502 yards.

Tyler has 54 NFL starts and 7 TD. That's the only number that really matters to me if the name Gronk is ever to be mentioned in the same sentence. 

To be fair neither should Goedert but we're talking about the unquestioned 2nd string TE for the Eagles with 17 starts having 9TD with almost as many yds his past two seasons in the NFL as Higbee. 

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Is @HoboRocket a Rams homer? I was thinking he wasn't, but I may be confusing him with someone else.

Either way, he makes a damn good point. Higbee finished very strong. 

Not at all. I just write a lot when I post and make sure to think it out - you should see some of my posts for the Raiders or Jets. To be fair, I used to be a big Rams fan, but the love has kind of faded over time. I'm more active in the Jets forums than the Rams forums lol. I'm definitely a homer... For the Texans and Cardinals. I was pretty much just pointing out that Higbee was already nicknamed Baby Gronk, even though it wasn't very valid. He - as a late round pick - was like the highest-profile non-Goff player they drafted in 2016, though, because they traded away like every pick in that draft. He had a stellar camp, didn't really start as a rookie but showed promise in an awful offense. 

Now, Higbee DID have a role in the Rams offense after his rookie season, and that was as the blocking TE. His second season, Derek Carrier was the primary in-line TE, but Higbee took that role on over time, even playing well enough that the Rams no longer felt a need to have anyone besides Higbee in a traditional Y role on offense - despite that Donta Hightower highlight. Here's the thing, though: Sean McVay's offense in LA was NOT his offense in San Francisco.

TEs weren't featured, and I suppose it's fair, as they had guys like Offensive Player of the Year Todd Gurley, Brandin Cooks, Cooper Kupp, and Robert Woods to soak up targets. Guys like Josh Reynolds, Gerald Everett, and Tyler Higbee did - in general - play very well, but they didn't really see touches. 

Anyways, Gerald Everett was supposed the be the guy at tight end, and he played in a rotation with Higbee. Both played fairly well, but again, they ran more open sets with 11 personnel and preferred to use their TEs more on simple concepts, like bumping their guy and then leaking out in case the play broke down and everyone else happened to be covered, which didn't happen much. I mean, they had an All-Pro RB and three Pro-Bowl caliber WRs, for Pete's sake, to go with a really good offensive line for a couple years.

Anyways, so the TE had a VERY minor role in the offense. They'd get involved in individual game plans, and you definitely see this with Everett's usage and game logs from HIS first couple seasons, but plays weren't drawn up for Higbee or Everett on a week-to-week basis. 

Well, fast-forward to 2019, and teams are clamping down HARD on McVay's heavy motion, 11-personnel-on-every-play scheme. So what do they do?

They play Fisher ball. That's right. They go back to the dreaded roots of Higbee's rookie season, what Todd Gurley called "middle school football." Except this time, it worked. Maybe it's because Sean McVay understands timing, and he's a good playcaller, but their whole scheme shifted. They started playing gaps a lot more, switching more to I formations with heavy personnel. Goff was playing under center.

McVay really kind of drew from his Redskins' offense in 2016; the Rams' offense over the latter part of last year was strikingly similar. Higbee got a lot of looks where he was running staple routes in TE-heavy offenses. He was running down the seam and using his noted athleticism to bully guys. He was playing as the out-breaking receiver on flood concepts. They were using mesh to pull rushers AWAY from Goff and give him easy targets over the middle of the defense blitzed. With a bigger role, Higbee was given a chance to shine.

Is he ACTUALLY someone who I expect to consistently average 10 receptions and 100 yards a game like he was once the offense changed? No way, José! But I DO expect that he's earned a role moving forward, something that McVay didn't really give his big guys consistently in LA until he was forced to adapt. And McVay DOES historically know how to implement TEs. With both Gurley and Cooks gone and both of the top two current WRs having SOME history of injuries, it's fair to expect a more even target distribution, and Goff likes to throw to the middle of the field. I DO think Higbee is the type of TE that could consistently get around 800 yards a season and even have a few 1,000 yard campaigns. He has the skill-set to stay on the field, and the Rams handed him a high-dollar extension before he even broke out last year. So the motivation is there, and the skill-set is obviously there. He's Goff's longest-tenured skill-player at this point, as well, which could mean more looks. 

Anyways, Higbee already owns the nickname Baby Gronk, and while a Gronk comparison is kind of ridiculous, it's his. And he also turns out not to be awful at football.

• Like 1